Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using MS Access in my web site

Options
  • 27-07-2004 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

hey everyone,

I was just wondering how i would use ms access on my web site. I know how to do it using 127.0.0.1 and iis but how do i do it on my web hosting space.

I know its something to do with ODBC connections ect ?
    do i upload the database and then make the connection ? I'm not really sure.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

use a connection string instead of a data source - less hassle
    <%
    Dim path_To_Database
    path_To_Database = "../private/members.mdb"
    Dim Conn
    Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Conn.Open("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source =" &  Server.MapPath(path_To_Database))
    %>

generally web hosts will provide a special folder with write permissions which is on the same level as your www (read only). They are often called data, private or something like that. Your database would go here. (just upload the entire database).
    With the example I have shown above Im assuming that your homepage is connecting to the database called members.mdb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Originally posted by mada999
    hey everyone,

I was just wondering how i would use ms access on my web site. I know how to do it using 127.0.0.1 and iis but how do i do it on my web hosting space.

I know its something to do with ODBC connections ect ?
    do i upload the database and then make the connection ? I'm not really sure.
    Using Microsoft Access on your website is not a good thing from a security and from a reliability point of view. Many Widows hosters offer Microsoft SQL server as an option so you could use that instead. From a reliability point of view, Access cannot support a lot of simulanteous users.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

MS Access is underrated as a database for web applications - but although the connection string is easier than a DSN, I think DSNs are supposed to be more reliable and can possibly handle more connections.

If your hosting company can set up a DSN for you, then the connection string is just the name they give the DSN
    e.g.
    Dim objConn ' as connection
    Dim sDSN ' as DSN name
    set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    objConn.Open sDSN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Thanks for the replies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

One word. DONT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Originally posted by jmcc
    Using Microsoft Access on your website is not a good thing from a security and from a reliability point of view. Many Widows hosters offer Microsoft SQL server as an option so you could use that instead. From a reliability point of view, Access cannot support a lot of simulanteous users.

Regards...jmcc

True, however not everybody knows how to use SQL. The ones who take security seriously are going to be more likely to using more secure processes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SexFusGuy2

Originally posted by blacknight
    True, however not everybody knows how to use SQL. The ones who take security seriously are going to be more likely to using more secure processes.

Yea but most web hosting companies use phpmyadmin which makes adding a database nearly as easy as using access.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

SQL != MySQL in the context of what jmcc was talking about and MS SQL will not work with phpmyadmin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

There are also phpmyadmin-esque web based versions of MS SQL Enterprise Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

blacknight wrote:

I could name a major high street retail bank in this country which at one time used MS Access as the backend to it's website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Go on. Name it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

clearz wrote:
    Go on. Name it.

Let's call it Bank of Hibernia to spare their blushes ;)

Development staff there used to have the embarrassement of ringing Microsoft and Allaire (they used Cold Fusion) support desks occasionaly to get help with problems and be met with a mixture of amusement and disbelief from the other end.

Just in case any one is think of indulging in a spot of hacker's playtime I should add that this system was replaced years ago.

There was also the .cfm page left by a developer who had left their employment which allowed you to add and delete pages from the Bank's site. They found it during a security audit. I didn't have the heart to tell them that the developer responsible was now living in an anarchist commune in the Netherlands :D

Advertisement