Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Aer Lingus be privatised:Poll

Options
  • 27-07-2004 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Should Aer Lingus be privatised? I believe so.

In the event of a future crisis (the latest of many at the airline), the Government would not be allowed to bail it out as things stand. Air France has been ordered by the EU Commission to pay back state-aid it received as a bail-out from the French Government, as it was unfair state-aid. National Governments can only invest in a company when they are profitable, and not when they are in trouble. As such, Air Lingus needs to be privatised so that it can raise money from share issues.

And your view is....

Should Aer Lingus be privatised? 42 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 42 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, no.
    Two reasons:
    1) Why? We already have several ryanair clones and the original.
    2) How would the management find the cash to repay the taxpayer for all the money the taxpayer has put into the company over the years? Or are you advocating that we give them a blank slate and let them sell off hardware belonging to the state for nothing, as we did with Eircom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

How would the management find the cash to repay the taxpayer for all the money the taxpayer has put into the company over the years? Or are you advocating that we give them a blank slate and let them sell off hardware belonging to the state for nothing, as we did with Eircom?

They can pay back the taxpayer through the proceeds of the privatisation, that's how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Originally posted by arcadegame2004
    They can pay back the taxpayer through the proceeds of the privatisation, that's how.

Them proceeds are more likely to end up in Berties tent at the galway races or in the Fianna Fail/Progressive Democrat election fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

This is the national airline. It's been turned around and it's making money. The people that turned it around are the workers and management, all of whom were paid in accordance with their responsibilities and some are paid rather handsomely. Why should it be privatised when it starts making a profit and can return dividends to the state. Make hay while the sun shines.

Quote from Willie Walsh on last set of annual results

"We look forward to the future with confidence. Our focus in 2004 will be to continue to drive the organisation to deliver low fares with a consistent service. We have set demanding performance targets for the year. Working together in a determined manner we can continue to build a sustainable and profitable business."

Let the focus remain on delivering for the current shareholders (i.e. you and me) rather than a few monied people and the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

We are in effect shareholders in it at present. Over the past few years, under semi-state ownership, it has been perfroming quite well. It could continue to do so under the current position. If it was privatised, while it may get better, we don't know what might happen to it. At least as things are, some control can be exercised over it Let Willie Walsh and his team run it, but under state ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

arcadegame2004, with privatisation, where would you stop?

The full privatisation of… Phone lines? woops… (oh, but don't worry the government are now paying for new communication networks, ie the MANs)... the power lines? Schools? the roads and streets? airports? railway? ports? Maybe you might stop at our airspace or territorial waters?

Just imagine it… welcome to RyanAirspace… or Ryan Territorial Waters… oh, some can only dream.

Some probably do dream of a country where the state owns nothing. Everything is making profit for the few, and ****ing over the many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Can anybody offer any tangable proof that profits from Aer Linugs go back to the the coffers of the State?

If so, then when it's making money, it should 'continue' to do so, for the welfare of the State, else, recoup the taxpayers money and sell the thing.

Like someone else said, when the sun shines make hay, a downturn in the airline industry would probably just end up costing the taxpayer.

The full privatisation of… Phone lines? woops… (oh, but don't worry the government are now paying for new communication networks, ie the MANs)... the power lines? Schools? the roads and streets? airports? railway? ports? Maybe you might stop at our airspace or territorial waters?

So favouring privatisation of Aer Lingus has to mean favouring privatisation of everything? Don't be silly.

The concept of a "national airline" is outdated as far as I am concerned. We no more need a splash of green pain on the tail of an aircraft to feel Irish than we needed Lady Lavery on our Irish punts.
    We are in effect shareholders in it at present. Over the past few years, under semi-state ownership, it has been perfroming quite well. It could continue to do so under the current position. If it was privatised, while it may get better, we don't know what might happen to it. At least as things are, some control can be exercised over it Let Willie Walsh and his team run it, but under state ownership.

So we are shareholders in it are we? I don't recall ever receiving dividends from "our" shareholding in it. Unless your definition of "we" is Bertie, Mary, Charlie and Seamus etc. It's current performance is ok but far from spectacular when compared with Ryanair. The latter airline made a turnover of 1.79 billion euro last year compared to just 888 million euro. Ryanair lfies 160 routes, compared to 60 by Aer Lingus. Aer Lingus employs 4,000 workers compared to 2,000 employed by Ryanair. So Aer Lingus remains inefficient. To compete with the low-cost airlines in the absence of state-bailouts it will need to both continue to cut costs drastically (along the lines of Willie Walsh's latest proposals), but it will also need to have access to private-capital, which it does not at present. And as long as Aer Lingus remains in the public-sector, the unions will continue to obstruct the necessary efficiency savings. Their outlook is fundmentally short-termist. The airline sector is extremely cyclical - far more so than most industries. The sale of a stake in Aer Lingus was part of the rescue package last time in 2001. I also find the argument that "now is not the time for privatisation when the company is profitable" rather odd, considering that the deferral of an earlier privatisation plan for Aer Lingus resulted from the downturn in the company's fortunes in 2001. In other words, you want it both ways:when Aer Lingus is making a profit, it's not the time to sell it, yet neither is it the right time when it is making losses.

Them proceeds are more likely to end up in Berties tent at the galway races or in the Fianna Fail/Progressive Democrat election fund.

Even you can't believe that. The 5 billion raised from the Eircom privatisation ended up in the National Pension Reserve Fund - a very worthy destination. And privatisation is a way of raising money for essential services, road-building, pay off national-debt etc. without raising our taxes, and that too counts in its favour.
    At least as things are, some control can be exercised over it

Meaning what exactly? Aer Lingus needs to be allowed to act on a commercial basis, and not be hemmed in by bureaucratic interference from Government. They need access to private-capital. Why are the semi-state companies so racked with trade-union militancy, compared to the private-sector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

The profits that aer lingus pay to the exchequer could do more benefit in the long term than selling them for a quick buck.

The profits that aer lingus pay to the exchequer could do more benefit in the long term than selling them for a quick buck.

No they wouldn't. They only made 98 million euro in profits, out of which some is paid in dividends to the holders of the minority stake that was sold 3 years ago or so. The vast majority of that profit will remain for Aer Lingus to re-invest in the company. 98 million is a drop in the ocean nowadays considering the size of the Irish economy and the 24 billion euro budget each year. Lack of resources has less to do with the problems of the public-sector than engrained inefficiency caused by the absence of profit-motive.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

So we are shareholders in it are we? I don't recall ever receiving dividends from "our" shareholding in it. Unless your definition of "we" is Bertie, Mary, Charlie and Seamus etc.

[ ... ]

Even you can't believe that [them proceeds are more likely to end up in Berties tent at the galway races or in the Fianna Fail/Progressive Democrat election fund]
    I'm confused. How come it's unbelievable that the pols could contemplate pocketing the proceeds of privatisation, but you reckon they're pocketing the dividends?

Boggle.
    Originally posted by Typedef
    Can anybody offer any tangable proof that profits from Aer Linugs go back to the the coffers of the State?
    Where else would they go?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Hmmm, i think its good in theory.

If they do get privatised; they wouldn't have a strangle hold of a monopoly on the market... unless your opposed to flying with anyone else;) So we hopefully we wouldn't end up with another privatised mess like the telecomms debacle.

Then again Aer Lingus is functioning well as it is; and if anything that i've learnt in life that in most cases you should leave well enough alone..unless it's not particularly risky.

I think it could be a success; then again if it goes down hill there's no back door out from the privatiation route... (correct me if i'm wrong)

Ireland is a pretty small country; so i'm not entirely confident if a typical privatisation model would prove successful in most applications...:dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

No they wouldn't. They only made 98 million euro in profits, out of which some is paid in dividends to the holders of the minority stake that was sold 3 years ago or so. The vast majority of that profit will remain for Aer Lingus to re-invest in the company. 98 million is a drop in the ocean nowadays considering the size of the Irish economy and the 24 billion euro budget each year. Lack of resources has less to do with the problems of the public-sector than engrained inefficiency caused by the absence of profit-motive.

It is a nonsense to poo poo the turnaround and profits made by Aer Lingus. The company has been reborn and management have the confidence in building on this success and continuing to turn a profit.

How can you say there is an absence of profit motive at Aer Lingus. Didn't the workers get fully behind the re-structuring of the company to turn a profit. They wanted their jobs, they were prepared to work hard and make sacrifice to ensure that the goal was met (i.e. profit made).. Therefore the "ingrained inefficiency caused by the absence of profit motive" does not apply to Aer Lingus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Aer Lingus needs to be allowed to act on a commercial basis, and not be hemmed in by bureaucratic interference from Government. They need access to private-capital. Why are the semi-state companies so racked with trade-union militancy, compared to the private-sector?

Agreed, but being a small island nation, our national airline is of strategic importance to the people and the economy. We cannot have as our national airline, an airline which makes decisions wholly on commercial thinking. I can see the benefits privatisation may bring, and I think a balance should be struck between privatisation and public ownership. I think the government should retain part of Aer Lingus so they can use their influence when needed to prevent a commercial decision being made which may be detrimental to the country.

Also, the argument that it should be sold off so the taxpayer won't have to bail it out again should there be a downturn is rubbish, as under EU law the government has been prevented from bailing Aer Lingus out for many years now. So that argument is a non-starter. Should there be a downturn, Aer Lingus will have to sort itself out, just like it did in 2001, with no government aid.

So favouring privatisation of Aer Lingus has to mean favouring privatisation of everything? Don't be silly.

The concept of a "national airline" is outdated as far as I am concerned. We no more need a splash of green pain on the tail of an aircraft to feel Irish than we needed Lady Lavery on our Irish punts.

This time, try and answer the question...

Even you can't believe that. The 5 billion raised from the Eircom privatisation ended up in the National Pension Reserve Fund - a very worthy destination. And privatisation is a way of raising money for essential services, road-building, pay off national-debt etc. without raising our taxes, and that too counts in its favour.

As I said... don't worry the government are now paying for a new communication networks, ie the MANs.

But that will still leave a lot of the country with an under funded landline system in badly need of repair.

[Remember: if you're replying to my comments, try and also reply my question - thanks!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭cleareyed

I'd love to see the figures for aer lingus since its creation: how much the state put into it and how much it gave back to the state. I'd guess it hasn't retrned a fraction of its investment. If someone wants to buy it they should pay top euro for a controlling interest but the state should keep a significant part of it and scream blue murder if there aren't handsome dividends every year.

Also, the argument that it should be sold off so the taxpayer won't have to bail it out again should there be a downturn is rubbish, as under EU law the government has been prevented from bailing Aer Lingus out for many years now. So that argument is a non-starter. Should there be a downturn, Aer Lingus will have to sort itself out, just like it did in 2001, with no government aid.

Aer Lingus is profitable but only because they are continually cutting costs. There is only so far you can cut costs in a company, so they also require access to private-sector capital. However the unions are refusing to play ball with the next stage of that process. I am almost certain that if Aer Lingus were a private-sector company the unions would be rather less vociferous in their obstructions ;)

Aer Lingus needs to be able to access private-capital. Enough of this argument about it being a "strategic national asset" please. All I care about in terms of air-travel is getting from A to B. The profit-motive will ensure an abundance of air-travel from Ireland to the rest of the world. There is huge tourist interest in Ireland. Airlines will continue to want that business. American trade with Ireland is now double that of the US's trade with China. There is every incentive for airlines to continue to service that massive demand there is already there.

No matter how many lefties try to smear Ryanair, the fact is that passengers are voting with their feet by making it twice as profitable as Aer Lingus. Ryanair has been able to make decisions based solely on market demand whereas Aer Lingus is constantly forced to scale back commercially-necessary decisions e.g.g outsourcing of catering which was planned by Willie Walsh in 2001 but which the militant unions blocked. It is now again being proposed by him and again the Marxist unions are saying "No". They continue to cling on to a Scargillite attitude to industrial-relations. Aer Lingus is doomed if they continue to have the power to block such necessary proposals when bad times return.

Unions in Aer Lingus are far more militant than unions in the private-sector because the Government's ownership of the company emboldens them to strike in the hope that a sitting Government, concerned about the potential effects of the strike on its popularity, is more likely to give in to them. We need to divorce politics from Aer Lingus, and let it act solely on a commercial basis. I firmly believe that state-interference in markets where competition is possible only hold's back economic-growth and keeps inflation higher than it would otherwise be.

alleepally I think you asked me about my attitude to privatisation in general, which is not the topic of this thread. I have explained my position on Aer Lingus in this thread, and on health-care in the "Welcoe to US richest country in world" thread. I similarly fail to see any need for a state-owned peat monopoly (Bord na Mona), or the Bord Gais monopoly in the gas-market , or the Dublin-Bus monopoly in Dublin, or the ESB monopoly (at least the power-generation part of the company). I accept the argument made by other contributors that if ESB is privatised, then the actual lines should remain state-owned, to stop ESB impeding other power-companies' access to them. though. I make no apology for the fact that one of my reasons for being favourably-disposed to privatisation and competition is my opposition to trade-union militancy and the "strike first talk later" mentality that pervades the public-sector part of the movement.

Aer Lingus needs to be able to access private-capital. Enough of this argument about it being a "strategic national asset" please. All I care about in terms of air-travel is getting from A to B.

No matter how many lefties try to smear Ryanair, the fact is that passengers are voting with their feet by making it twice as profitable as Aer Lingus. Ryanair has been able to make decisions based solely on market demand

Surely you are not suggesting that Aer Lingus should follow Ryanair's example to the letter. If that were the case we would not have direct flights to the major hubs such as Heathrow, Paris CDG and Frankfurt etc..making onward connections impossible. Instead we would be flying to remote airports 50-100 miles away from where you actually want to end up because it made 'commercial sense' for the airline to do so.

Most importantly we would not have ANY transatlantic flights operated by an Irish airline. This is where the strategic asset argument comes in. Having direct transatlantic flights to some of the major US cities is vital for the Irish economy and tourism. Who can guarantee that Aer Lingus would continue to operate these routes post-privatisation? If they are to take their lead from Ryanair as you suggest, they'll be pulling out of them, no?

Most importantly we would not have ANY transatlantic flights operated by an Irish airline.

Why does it have to be with an "Irish" airline? I don't care if the airline flying me to the US is Irish or not. I didn't know that planes had a sense of national-identity.

The Heathrow-slots issue could be worked out in the terms of the privatisation, e.g. the company could be required to maintain them.

Why does it have to be with an "Irish" airline? I don't care if the airline flying me to the US is Irish or not. I didn't know that planes had a sense of national-identity.

You would be happy to rely on a foreign carrier to supply our transatlantic flight needs? I certainly wouldn't. In the knowledge that this airline has no vested interest in Ireland and will pull out as soon as things get ugly. Look at what happened post 911 - practically all the US carriers flying to Ireland suspended their Irish flights for weeks afterwards, leaving Aer Lingus as one of the only carriers providing transatlantic flights between the US and Ireland.

• Advertisement

You would be happy to rely on a foreign carrier to supply our transatlantic flight needs? I certainly wouldn't. In the knowledge that this airline has no vested interest in Ireland and will pull out as soon as things get ugly. Look at what happened post 911 - practically all the US carriers flying to Ireland suspended their Irish flights for weeks afterwards, leaving Aer Lingus as one of the only carriers providing transatlantic flights between the US and Ireland.

I envisage the sell-off in the context of the breakup of Aer Rianta, where airports would compete with each other to attract airlines. Lower landing-charges would help attract airlines. Knock Airport is highly profitable and 70% of flights to it are US-Ireland flights, and I find it hard to believe that the majority of them flew on Aer Lingus to get here.

Knock Airport is highly profitable and 70% of flights to it are US-Ireland flights, and I find it hard to believe that the majority of them flew on Aer Lingus to get here.

US-Ireland flights - wtf??? Do you mean UK-Ireland flights?

I didn't know that planes had a sense of national-identity.

They do. Even Ryanair know all their aeroplanes are Irish registered.

So, any way...

Sorry I meant 70% of flights to Knock Airport are flights from a foreign country to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Privatisation has never worked out properly, anywhere in the world. Look at Eircom. Look at England's railways. Look at the Russian oil fields. Look at the state of South America, after governments privatised all their major assets. So explain to me, why is it a good idea to privatise AerLingus?

It's like having a cow that is producing milk everyday and selling it to a circus for a quick cash injection. It's stupid. Unfortunately governments never think beyond the next election.

Typedef wrote:

If so, then when it's making money, it should 'continue' to do so, for the welfare of the State, else, recoup the taxpayers money and sell the thing.

Like someone else said, when the sun shines make hay, a downturn in the airline industry would probably just end up costing the taxpayer.
    My thinking exactly.

Originally posted by Lennoxships
    Privatisation has never worked out properly, anywhere in the world. Look at Eircom. Look at England's railways. Look at the Russian oil fields. Look at the state of South America, after governments privatised all their major assets. So explain to me, why is it a good idea to privatise AerLingus?

A: EU state-aid rules would prevent the State bailing out Aer Lingus with a cash injection if it faced dire straits , unlike in the early 1990's and before. In that situation Aer Lingus would need private-capital. Recall that a large stake in the company was sold in 2001. If a similar stake were sold next time then a majority of the company would be in private-sector hands.

B:To compete with Ryanair and other low-cost airlines, Aer Lingus needs to cut costs drastically. It remains a highly inefficient company in comparison with Ryanair. For a start it needs to contract out catering to the private-sector. It also needs to slash jobs. Ryanair has 2,000 employees while Aer Lingus has 4,000 (down from 6,000 in 2001). Aer Lingus's current profitability is down to its cost-cutting, but the trade-unions have put a line in the sand and made it clear they are incapable of concentrating beyond the short-term. The fact that Aer Lingus is a public-sector company means that the unions are more emboldened to strike and inconvenience the public than they would if the company was privatised, since private-sector bosses won't tolerate such infantile behaviour. The necessary changes are thus more likely to be facilitated by privatisation, and the consumer will be the winner with cheaper fares on flights to the US.

C:A boon for the Exchequer. The proceeds of the Eircom privatisation went into the National Pensions Reserve Fund. According to the news today or yesterday the fund has made a profit of 4.5% in the last year. We need to look to the longterm and realise that we must avoid at all costs the pensions-timebomb that is engulfing much of the rest of Europe.

D: Competition between private-sector companies has a greater likeliehood of bringing down prices than competition between public-sector companies and the private-sector.

E:British Airways was privatised in the 1980's and as admitted by some posters here the quality of service with BA was experienced by them as better than that of service with Aer Lingus.

F:Just because privatisation went wrong with the railways in the UK, doesn't mean as a rule that privatisation is a bad idea. I always opposed the idea of privatising the railways in Ireland, since I cannot see how competition could effectively be introduced in that sector. But the US - the richest economy in the world by far - is also the country with the most liberalised economy in the world. Look at the France, Germany, Italy and Spain, with their massive unemployment and vast public-sectors. The US must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

QUOTE]

Aer Lingus is an airline that exists to make a profit.

Airlines are ten a penny.

It was competition from Ryanair that transformed a pretty bloated Aer Lingus.

Aer Lingus still needs to trim its costs and there is a lesson in this for many semi state companies.

A: EU state-aid rules would prevent the State bailing out Aer Lingus with a cash injection if it faced dire straits , unlike in the early 1990's and before. In that situation Aer Lingus would need private-capital. Recall that a large stake in the company was sold in 2001. If a similar stake were sold next time then a majority of the company would be in private-sector hands.

I'll go with that, that's a good reason.
    B:To compete with Ryanair and other low-cost airlines, Aer Lingus needs to cut costs drastically. It remains a highly inefficient company in comparison with Ryanair. For a start it needs to contract out catering to the private-sector. It also needs to slash jobs. Ryanair has 2,000 employees while Aer Lingus has 4,000 (down from 6,000 in 2001). Aer Lingus's current profitability is down to its cost-cutting, but the trade-unions have put a line in the sand and made it clear they are incapable of concentrating beyond the short-term. The fact that Aer Lingus is a public-sector company means that the unions are more emboldened to strike and inconvenience the public than they would if the company was privatised, since private-sector bosses won't tolerate such infantile behaviour. The necessary changes are thus more likely to be facilitated by privatisation, and the consumer will be the winner with cheaper fares on flights to the US.

So we need to privatise Aer Lingus, so they are free to ignore the unions and can sack people? How does the state benefit by increasing the number of unemployed? Why should they slash jobs when they can make a profit? So we can fly for less? Is the cost to society really worth it so we can save a few pennies on flights?
    C:A boon for the Exchequer. The proceeds of the Eircom privatisation went into the National Pensions Reserve Fund. According to the news today or yesterday the fund has made a profit of 4.5% in the last year. We need to look to the longterm and realise that we must avoid at all costs the pensions-timebomb that is engulfing much of the rest of Europe.

How does privatisation benefit in the long term? It's the car boot sale approach to economics.

What you are proposing is to bring in big money now to plug the holes that will be caused by the fiscal shortfall when the population ages. That is a short term solution if I ever heard one. A long term solution would involve readressing the entire tax and pension systems so that there will be no holes to plug.
    D: Competition between private-sector companies has a greater likeliehood of bringing down prices than competition between public-sector companies and the private-sector.

Sure, it does bring down prices. We can now buy coffee from South America for half nothing due to privatisation in that part of the world. Sure isn't it great! But try telling that to the Columbian coffee picker who has seen their salary halved and their communal health centres closed so that their operation is more "competitive."

You said earlier that Aer Lingus should look to Ryanair. This would involve cutting jobs to become more competitive. Well I say that Ryanair should look to Aer Lingus. You can make money without treating your employees like a dirty kleenex.
    E:British Airways was privatised in the 1980's and as admitted by some posters here the quality of service with BA was experienced by them as better than that of service with Aer Lingus.

Let's not forget that British Airways has a much bigger market than Aer Lingus and flies more profitable routes. But still, what kinds of flights are people comaring? Most probably to London on Aer Lingus and then onwards from London on long haul with BA. Long haul flights generally offer a better standard of service than short haul. This is standard in commercial aviation. Aer Lingus long haul flights also offer a high level of service.
    F:Just because privatisation went wrong with the railways in the UK, doesn't mean as a rule that privatisation is a bad idea. I always opposed the idea of privatising the railways in Ireland, since I cannot see how competition could effectively be introduced in that sector. But the US - the richest economy in the world by far - is also the country with the most liberalised economy in the world. Look at the France, Germany, Italy and Spain, with their massive unemployment and vast public-sectors. The US must be doing something right.

Don't get me started. The United States has one of the largest public debts in the world. They have no public health service, no national system of public transportation, a terrible welfare system and 12% of their population is living in poverty. It's the richest economy in the world by far and 13% of the people are living in poverty. There's something wrong there, surely. Germany, France, Italy and Spain piss all over the USA from a very great height when it comes to quality of life and worker's rights, and this comes in part from their unwillingness to put profit first and people second.

I know where I'd rather live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Why should they slash jobs when they can make a profit? So we can fly for less? Is the cost to society really worth it so we can save a few pennies on flights?

If they can cut costs to make a profit and give people a better price on air fares. I see no reason why they should not trim their workforce.

Why should Aer Lingus not be run a business?

or years Aer Lingus charged large prices for basic flights. This did nothing for the consumer.

It was only with the advent of Ryanair that Aer Lingus had to adapt more to consumer needs.

• Advertisement

But they are making a profit. So why cut even more jobs? Lay people off for the sake of making even more profit?

Advertisement