Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upload/download?

• 27-07-2004 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

i Have iol's free broadband and the 8gig cap,my question is if i say download 4gig and i upload 4 gig does that mean ive reached my cap?....or is it 8 gig upload and 8 gig download?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hellraiser

Not too sure on that, i always taught that was the way it worked anyways.

Maybe IOL can answer that for you instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

You can download 7.99 gigs and upload 7.99 in the same month. The total is not combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The cap refers to downloaded data only. So you can download a full 8GB regardless of how much you upload.

Not sure if IOL have an upload cap. UTV don't have an upload cap though I've heard from a friend that IOL have an upload cap to match download cap (8GB, giving you 16GB in total effectively).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

thanks guys

Start says it's effectively 16 GB, this is NOT true because you cannot go over 8 GB Download. Basically it's whichever you hit the 8 gigs in first that counts, almost always this is downloading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Bodan

I got iol's free broadband trial as well.I got it at the start of the month and looking at my monthly totals in du meter i got 15Gb downloaded and 5.5gb uploaded
    So i guess its 16gb down and 16gb up .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

yeah, IOL's cap is 16gb now... and has been for a long time.

I'm not sure which package the free trail puts you on - IOL Broadband or IOL Broadband Plus. If it's IOL Broadband you usage cannot exceed 8 gigs downloaded or 8 gigs uploaded per month.

If your on IOL BB Plus your download cannot exceed 16 gigs downloaded per month and upload cannot exceed 16 gigs.

Of course its anyones guess what happens when you go over the caps. To my knowledge nobody has been charged but there has been a few reports of people being cut off until the following month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hellraiser

Yes they cut you off for the rest of the month, happened to 2 of my friends who have IOL BB.

Advertisement