Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Request] Good value Car Service and supplier of Generic parts

• 27-07-2004 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been reading boards.ie over the last couple of weeks and felt it was about time to dive in, with a request ;-)

I'm looking to get my '97 Fiesta serviced and have had quotes over the phone from €99 up to €250. The lower sounds fine and am happy to go that way but I'm also looking for them to maybe fir 2 wing mirrors. Both have been bashed off while parked on either side of my road and I've been quoted €103.50!!! each and then €65 labour which I don't mind.

Because it's a Ford I was wondering if there are cheaper generic products available and garages that are happy to use them.

Can anyone even recommend a good value garage that would glue and repair the 2 mirrors that I currently have taped to to the side of the doors,
    thanks in advance for any info,

Graham.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't know where you are based, so I can't recommend specifics but here's a few tips for parts.

A) If you don't mind second hand parts, go to a scrapyard/dismantlers and get the parts there. These guys are often quite cheap.

B) Try to find a cheap motor factors. You might have to shop around, but they can be very good value as well.

After that, it's a matter of finding a small garage to get the parts fitted. I'd stay clear of the main dealers as they can be extortionate.

If the parts are nothing complicated, can I recommend buying the Haynes manual for your car and a torque screwdriver set!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ok firstly the Fiesta is the easiest car to service-Youd do it yourself if your anyway handy.
    But even the wing mirrors can be fitted in less than 5 mins each.
    Heres how:(I worked for Ford for nearly 10 years)

1.Plastic triangle inside car pops off with a screw driver.Underneath this are 3 phillips head screws.Unscrew these and old mirror will just fall off the car.
    2.Line up new mirror with the 3 holes,put in the 3 screws,put back on cover and there you go.
    Fairly easy job.Just be sure that the plastic triangle come off separately from the inside.On some later models you have to strip down the entire inside door cover to get the mirror off.
    Hope this helps
    Richie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

thanks a mill dudara and Hellrazer, I'm in Kilmainham dudara but after Hellrazer's advice I'd be as well having a go myself, at least on the drivers side. I'll ring around some Motor Factors see if I can get a better price on Fiesta mirrors,
    thanks again,
    Graham.

Advertisement