Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

maynooth, and electronics

• 27-07-2004 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

does anyone know anything about the electronic engineering degree here?

this would be more difficult than a bsc in electronic systems in limerick?

i am interested in the work placement. is work placement money any good?!

i heard it was shyte.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Damok

I do electronic engineering in maynooth. It's a very good college to do electronic engineering in. I'm going into my third year with no problems. But i do like the course. It is kinda hard, but that's ok if you like it.

I'm not familiar with electronic systems in Limerick, but it sounds like it's kinda the same. In maynooth electronics we do a good bit about the small scale stuff like atoms and the likes. I don't like that stuff too much, but it's ok all the same.

But there is a difference between science and engineering courses. There's a different degree for a start. But more importantly the coursework is different. Engineering courses have more practical time slots, which really make the course easier. But then again, an electronics science degree might be the same as an electronic engineering degree. You should probably get an electronic science persons opinion also. I only do one course, so i can't really compare.

And as for the work experience, high tech work placement will normally have pretty good pay. High tech companies are normally pretty respectable, and they want to encourage students to work at their company after they graduate. So it pays them well to pay you well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

nice,

thanks for the reply, might see u in maynooth, i want to get into year 3. i cant be arsed doing 3 years more!

i got a national dip in electronic and comp eng, a merit 2, also have a city and guilds 271 dip, and 3 1/2 yrs +work exp , should be enough to muster into year 3, but would be hard as nails id say.

i hated java and software in the diploma i just did, everything else was ok, got 69% in maths as well, not bed considering i wanted to drop it up to feb!

are u working now? im getting right slaggin from the folk at home , i havent worked for ages, i was travelling and now back studyin, i would like the work placement, would make me sane again.........:)

only thing is maynooth is miles from kerry.......

will the grant cover the uni fees and stuff, like it did in the it's ?

eric

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Damok

Oh yeah i'm working now, but it's nothing to do with engineering. Don't ask what it is! It sucks. Just a bit of a drinkin money job.

Yeah the grant covers the fees, i think. Well unless you've done a third year berfore, i'm not quiet sure how it works. How many years have you done in colleges? If it's only two then i'm sure you'll be fine for the third.

So you live in Kerry? Guess you'll have to get a very early bus every day! :D You should get a place in maynooth. The nightlife isn't amazing in maynooth, but at least you won't get too easily stabbed (cough, like in Limerick, cough) Don't get me wrong, Limerick is a lovely place. (just be careful where you get your chips, coz you'll get stabbed. ):D

PS. I like Limerick, don't hurt me Limerick people!

doesnt look like i will meet u in yr 3 after all.

got an email from oral, said she was talkin with some professor (nutty professor?!) and , nope, just yr 2 they will blung me into.

no way am i studyin for 3 more years :o

im 30 now..

waitin to see if i get into yr 3 in ucc, else i will invest in some body armour......hehehe

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Picking the wrong year to start elec eng in ucc :P

• Advertisement

whats wrong with yr 3 in ucc........?! im not exactly expecting a field day, but ive done a slog of a year in the national diploma, about 38 hours a week.

no way am i doing 3 more years, i should hear from ucc next week, otherwise i got some hefty armour to see me through limerick IT

i got offered a place in yr 3 of the beng in dcu, but im not keen on going to dublin.

:rolleyes:

Hardest year in the course by a long way and it's getting more difficult every year. 19/60 passed it this year, so thats an inidication of its difficulty. Good luck with it anyway.

oooer....

your doing electronics in ucc so? but with the work placement, isnt there less to do in yr 3 rather than the final year.

id like some more info on year 3, any exam papers to make me cry?!

eric

:eek:

No, third year is the hardest year in the course or at least that's what everyone i've spoken to that's been in 4th year has said to me. Control engineering is the big big one to watch out for apparently. Work placement just means that you have alot less time to study for your exams then you usually do.Only like two weeks off before your exams to add the final touches to everything you've studied during the year :P .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

i've just the degree course here in maynooth, the course is pretty good, it's similar to elec eng in DCU, as thats where the head of the department worked before they set up the course here in maynooth.

third year is also the hardest in maynooth, 8 modules, and a 6 month industrial placement, gives you very little time for anything.

since you have a diploma already, you probably wouldn't need to do all of second year. maybe 1 or 2 modules from each semester depending on your diploma results and your experience.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Hmm, I just accepted electronic engineering in maynooth on the CAO. What's the time table gonna be like? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

can't remember exactly but i think it's around 30-35 hours a week including labs

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Lol, there's less than 30 people in the 4 engineering courses :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

popinfresh wrote:
    Hmm, I just accepted electronic engineering in maynooth on the CAO. What's the time table gonna be like? :confused:
    Engineering timetables are never nice. If you want a nice timetable do arts. They have like under 15 hours a week. I've got 32 this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If you have a diploma in Elec Engineering, you could do the IEI exams and get a professional qualification via distance education, this is very difficult though as you never get a hint as to whats coming up in exams,
    A second option, you may be able to transfer to the distance education DCU/UL/Oscail IT degree, I did an elec diploma in Kevin St, and I got into the Oscail DCU Bscit, it took me two years to get a degree while I worked, I also did the IEI stuff and its a b1tch compared to Oscail and I couldnt go on to do a masters with it(or the masters i wanted), but you can stay in the IEI and become MIEI and a Chartered engineer.
    That was all a while ago (I finished in Kevin Street in 1996) so it seems that its easier now to go on, I was only offered second year in the degree that year as there were no places, the following year everyone was offered 3rd year as ther were places, so technically you could have schratced your nxts for a year and still get into 3rd year or go through 2nd year again for a buzz. College is great, so is engineering, its worth all thouse hours a week, and rememebr those Arts guys have "book ref" LOL

Advertisement