Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

useless exercise

• 28-07-2004 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭

has anyone noticed how much people have taken to walking for exercise these days? all i see are these sweating heaving bodies all over the place......anyway what i find really ridiculous is that one of my friends (who is very overweight) has taken this up..what she does is she goes for say a half-hour walk and then as a treat afterwards heads off to mc donald's for a big mac. is it just me or is that just phucking stupid?!? she keeps complaining that she isnt losing any weight, so i tell her knock off the burgers, but she wont listen, i don't know whether she is acting thick or just doesn't get it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Reminds me of that bit in the simpsons where dia-betty is slimmin down so she can "fit into momma's coffin" and every time she does a push up she takes a bite of the chocolate cake cos that's her ree-ward.

Isn't it great how you can relate anything in the world to the simpsons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It would take allot longer than 30 mins to walk off a Mc Donalds. I should draw up a plan for her. I used to be 16 stone when I was about 12, I'm about 13 and I'm 20 now (yesterday, as in 27 minutes ago) ahww.
    pm comin bak2ya soon;)

Seriously though i used to weight 13 and a half stone and i was short when i was a kiddie so when i wanted to lose weight i walked for 1 1/2 hours altogether in and out of school everyday. Now im only 10 and a half stone and i feel in great shape.

Now where's the nearest maccy dees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

Originally posted by cormie
    I'm about 13 and I'm 20 now

i read that wrong i think, either that or your plan really does suck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

yeah:p ......still though i would like to get it through her (seemingly) vacuous head. i mean she just undo's all her good work the minute she bites into that burger crap.
    she could have it maybe once a week as treat or something....logic-=something that few have....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

It's the ones with the hilarious walks I enjoy the most. I think they call themselves 'power walkers' or some such crap. Monty Python wouldn't have a patch on them.

i know this sounds awful but...some women don't seem to have heard of a ''sports bra''. it's vital really as all that power walking can damage the muscles that keep your breasts in shape..i forget what their scientific name is..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

Originally posted by munkeehaven
    i forget what their scientific name is..

boobies? :p

i did a test one time. I was in the gym one time and i decided to have a look at the calorie counter on the treadmill. I checked how many calories were in a packet of fruit pasteilles (spell?) which i had eaten that afternoon and divided that number by the amount of sweets in the pack. Timed myself how long it took to eat one pasteille (averaging about 3 or 4 seconds taking into acount chewing thoroughly and swallowing, no savouring allowed), and then timed how long it took me to run and work off that many calories. I was goin about 7 or 8 miles an hour, kind of a light jog, and found that it took me up to 40 times as long to work it off as to eat it.

Now imagine how many fruit pastilles are the equivalent to a big mac.....

Ouchies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

.i forget what their scientific name is..
    "Twoblackeyetis"

• Advertisement

it can be hard finding exercise you enjoy, i mean i get so bored of walking, and i hate the gym. the way i keep off the pounds is just by eating healthily (most of the time). i like doing yoga as i dont have to move much (as i am a lazy biatcH.....)...unfortunately i am a sugar addict so i really have to stop myself from stuffing my face most of the time. (it's my dad's fault).

it's my dad's fault

Does he force feed you sugar and fatty foods?

Originally posted by SteveD
    i did a test one time. I was in the gym one time and i decided to have a look at the calorie counter on the treadmill. I checked how many calories were in a packet of fruit pasteilles (spell?) which i had eaten that afternoon and divided that number by the amount of sweets in the pack. Timed myself how long it took to eat one pasteille (averaging about 3 or 4 seconds taking into acount chewing thoroughly and swallowing, no savouring allowed), and then timed how long it took me to run and work off that many calories. I was goin about 7 or 8 miles an hour, kind of a light jog, and found that it took me up to 40 times as long to work it off as to eat it.

Now imagine how many fruit pastilles are the equivalent to a big mac.....

Ouchies

Being healthy is so great!!! I'm going through a bit of a bad buzz at the moment. Had cheesecake and all today. Had a crunchie the other night and carrot cake the day before. Terrible stuff indeed! Now though, I have no more excuses so here goes. Time to get fitter, time to get healthier.

ah sure cormie, you have to give yourself a treat sometime, don't be so hard on yourself, im sure you arent as bad as me , i have the worst resistance when it comes to sweet things. it's a wonder i'm not overweight yet.

He probably does in the way that he buys them with the weekly shopping and it's really hard to ignore the treats once their in the house. Best prevention is not to have them in the house at all. Allot of the time you will find you eat out of boredom. IF there is no bad food when your bored. Your gonna have to do something more entertaining. This could result in a walk or a cycle. So think of the contrast from not buying junk. Instead of eating junk for entertainment, your going and doing excercise. It's soooo much better for you!

Cycling is GREAT by the way. Just stick on some headphones (ok, bad advice really, you shouldn't listen to music whilst cycling they say...) The way I see it though, you do your bit, let car drivers do theirs. IF your gonna get run over, it probably wont make a diff if you're listening to music or not, it's gonna be a mistake by either party that would probably have been made ag eisteach or not.

she looks up at the building.. says she's thinking of jumping....?
    I'm going to bed.. goodnight. Tell your friend to get a grip on herself. She's not doing herself any favours, tell her she will be allot happier if she is thinner. Tell her to tell her parents to cut back on the junk in the shopping and to buy my plan for $29.95.

no, i mean i inherited it from him, he has a great big sweet tooth, he keeps denying it, but i always catch him sneaking bits of icecream or cake,etc and then he'll blame it on me! .

hmm that'll be more expensive in euros:p...anyway what's strange is that i have a friend from zim who was perfectly happy with her weight till she came over here, she is really curvy and i think has a lovely figure. a lot of africans are just big and its how they naturally are. i mean, my dad's from nigeria, and in some places they have centres where the women go to ''fatten up'' before there wedding! that's where i think i get my big hips, i'm slim but larger than the average irish girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

she keeps complaining that she isnt losing any weight, so i tell her knock off the burgers, but she wont listen, i don't know whether she is acting thick or just doesn't get it.

next time she complains take her for a burger to make her feel better.

seriously its this type of fool in america who sued mcdonalds for "making" them obese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

A Big Mac contains about 600 calories. If she gets a meal, that's easily over 1000 calories (fries, regular coke).

http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/howcalburn.htm

Lets say she's 220 pounds and walks at 4mph, she'll burn off (in 30 minutes) 258 calories. Even if she walks fast (7mph) according to that chart she'll still only burn off (in 30 mins) just over 400 cals.

She's not taking it seriously, or she just doesn't care. You can't take in more calories than you need and expect to still lose weight. It's simple math.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

My friend has leukemia and I saw this page before while looking up information on it:

clicky

It makes the thought of fast food hard to stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's interesting reading, good thing I stopped eating all the Maccy Dees crap long ago, it doesn't even taste like real food but people still buy :confused:

Munkee, you should bitchslap your friend a few times or just point and laugh at her every time you see her eating a Mac D, or even if she mentions it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by impr0v
    My friend has leukemia and I saw this page before while looking up information on it:

clicky

It makes the thought of fast food hard to stomach.

Il read it later , im eating food from a local chipper right now :D .

i'm just gonna leave her to her own devices, i've nagged her enough, i think i'll let her figure it out herself..or else maye i'll try hatch a plan to get the local mc donalds closed down.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tell her that it'll take 3 hours of walking to burn off the big mac meal. That might get it through her head unless she's numerically challenged as well as having no common sense!

Advertisement