Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial-up keeps popping up

Options
  • 28-07-2004 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Hello all, my dialup connection keeps popping up when I’m offline. If anyone knows what’s wrong then do tell.

I’m Running XP pro with SP2
    Anti virus: is Panda titanium 2004 it gets updated every day.
    Anti Spyware: lavasoft ad-ware 6 (is updated daily as well)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Did you check in the task manager for anything suspisious running? In msconfig in the services and startup tabs? Are you running a firewall?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

get a firewall like Zone Labs ZoneAlarm and it'll tell you what is trying to access the Internet. You'll be able to block it or allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If it's not spyware/adware trying to get a net connection it could be windows update or some other program trying to update. Not too sure about that as I dissable all automatic updates, personally I like to know what's updating and when.
    To stop the dial-up window open internet explorer, and then go to tools --> Internet options. On the Connections tab select 'Never dial a connection' and this should stop it popping up. Of course when you do want to connect to the net you'll need to bring up the dialler manually. Easily done by adding a shortcut from the Network Connections to the desktop or start menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

you don't have a home network set up do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Check your email settings you may have it set to check for new mail every XX mins and dial-up if not connected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I'd recommend Kerio firewall as the best to find out what's trying to access the net - I find ZoneAlarm a bit vague sometimes.

DON'T install both though - they're incompatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Originally posted by jabberwock
    you don't have a home network set up do you?

Yes 2 computer, my laptop and my desktop.
    Originally posted by Hagar
    Check your email settings you may have it set to check for new mail every XX mins and dial-up if not connected

No Not it.
    Originally posted by Fenster
    Did you check in the task manager for anything suspisious running? In msconfig in the services and startup tabs? Are you running a firewall?

Checked task manager all seems to be ok but this is not a new problem(may be 6 -8 months) so im sure ad-ware or anti virus would have detected something wrong.
    yes im running a firewall that came with Panda titanium 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Your firewall should be able to tell you what is trying to access the internet.

If it can't then its definatley time for a firewall upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Originally posted by jessy
    Yes 2 computer, my laptop and my desktop.

No Not it.

Checked task manager all seems to be ok but this is not a new problem(may be 6 -8 months) so im sure ad-ware or anti virus would have detected something wrong.
    yes im running a firewall that came with Panda titanium 2004

Okay. :D

I deal with a lot of this stuff at work and I find it saves a lot of time to bring the customer in on it and go through a short checklist of the obvious stuff with them.

What firewall have you and what configuration (ie is it on or off?) is it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

well i have a small home network here (~5pcs) and have internet connection sharing set up on the main 1.
    I do get the same sort of thing on the main pc thats is the child pcs are calling for an internet connection and it dials away.
    would love a fix for this other than turning my firewall up a notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

this has come up before, it's some sort of malware calling up rasauto, google forth

Advertisement