Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cisse to Barca story

• 28-07-2004 8:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭

We've probably all heard the rumours that Barcelona are getting Djibril Cisse on loan from Liverpool, and thought - what a load of nonsense!

When I heard that first I thought it has to be utter rubbish. But even Juan Laporte the Barca president has publicly said the deal might happen, and apparently there may be some legs in the story.

Barca approached Auxerre and Cisse last year, but were told the deal with Liverpool was already done so, nothing personal, but hard luck.

Liverpool have the money for one big signing this summer, and unfortunately for Benitez, it was already done before he got on board. He does like Cisse, but if he had had the initial choice, he probably would have gone for somebody else. That somebody else would most likely have been Mista, however in any event Valencia are refusing to do any business with Liverpool, so Mista cant go to Liverpool.

A few weeks ago, Barcelona approached Benitz with the following proposal:

"We'll buy Mista from Valenica and loan him to you for the season, while you loan us Cisse for the season"

This is believed to be the reason why Cisse was not introduced to media as a Liverpool player until about July 20, even though he signed around July 1. Benitez and Liverpool were thinking over Barca's offer, and presumably getting a close look at Cisse the player and Cisse the character. At this stage it is probable that Liverpool have turned down the Barca offer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I did wonder why liverpool took so long to show Cisse to Press etc. , I'm glad they turned down the offer as he seems to be settling in pre-season quite well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Joan LaPorta is a notorious bullshitter so I wouldn't put too much faith in this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

The story is a complete fabrication on the part of Barcelona. They're more than a bit paranoid that Real will try and steal their potential transfers so they are leaking stories to the press about non existent approaches for players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

this is complete ****e.

that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Liverpool confirmed today there was an approach for cisse from barca

• Advertisement

This is what Rick Parry said on the official site:
    Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry has admitted he is stunned by Barcelona's bid to take Djibril Cisse on a season long loan.
    Parry has revealed the Spanish outfit have made representations to Liverpool about the possibility of signing the £14 million striker for next season.

Cisse opened his Liverpool account with two superb goals against Celtic earlier in the week and Parry says there is no way the Reds' new striker will be leaving Anfield.

He said: "There have been strong indications that Barcelona want to take Cisse on loan. The idea of us allowing a player we have spent so much money on to go to Barcelona on loan even before he has kicked a ball for us is just incredible.

"Why on earth would we do that? It is a sign of the times that they can even contemplate such a move for a player we have just spent a record transfer fee on.

"It's incredible, but we have learnt through agents that they are strongly interested in that. What does that tell you about the state of the transfer market when even Barcelona are trying to take players like that on loan? It's crazy."

Now where did he say Barcelona made an approach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

The headline says

" REDS STUNNED BY BARCA'S CISSE BID
    "

It says nothing of an official approach but so much these days is done through agents that you'd never know ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Really, what are barca thinking? Is Laporte a complete twonk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Originally posted by midget lord
    IS Laporte a complete twonk?

Yes

When somebody connected with Barcelona tells me the story is a complete fabrication to cover their bid to sign Luis Fabiano who Real Madrid have been sniffing around I believe them over some sensational headline.

Barcelona put out the rumour that they were interested in getting Cisse on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Originally posted by Bannor
    Now where did he say Barcelona made an approach?

"Parry has revealed the Spanish outfit have made representations to Liverpool about the possibility of signing the £14 million striker for next season."

Therefore Barca did approach Liverpool!

And everyone knows that Barca did approach Auxerre and Cisse last year.

By the way it was the European bloke they have on Newstalk 106, who is usually very good, who stated everything I had in the original post.

You are citing the journalist's spiel as opposed to what Parry said: "we learnt through agents that they are strongly interested".

Barcelona did not make an offer to take Cisse on loan. They started a rumour, Parry heard the rumour through agents.

After Euro 2004, Barcelona contacted Liverpool about buying Baros. They couldn't afford the asking price of €20M - if they wanted a striker on loan do you not think they would have asked at that point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by The Rooster
    By the way it was the European bloke they have on Newstalk 106, who is usually very good, who stated everything I had in the original post.
    Graham (I think thats his first name) Hunter? He also does reports for Sky. He seems to know an awful lot about Spanish football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Also interesting that Hunter said Valencia refuse to do any business with Liverpool because of Benitez.

Originally posted by The Rooster
    Also interesting that Hunter said Valencia refuse to do any business with Liverpool because of Benitez.
    They're bitter because they took legal action against Benitez and Liverpool and the judge threw the case out. They wanted €3M in compensation for the loss of their manager. The judge ruled that they weren't entitled to a cent because they had broken the contract already - Benitez still hasn't received his bonus for winning the league two years ago, and he is also owed close to €2.5M in bonuses for last season.

Advertisement