Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landlord preferences

Options
  • 28-07-2004 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Going over hundreds of adverts, I have noticed that a lot of landlords look for "two professionals or a couple". I am curious about that stipulation... Why would they prefer to rent to two people instead of one? should I bother answering those ads if I am single? Could I be accepted in one of those apartments if I can persuade the landlord that I can afford the rent? Or is there some other reason for the preference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Landlords probably like "professional" (what does the mean these days anyway?) tenants or couples because they figure they'll pay the rent on time and won't wreck the place partying.

Phone some of them up and ask why they only want professionals or couples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

Well, for the moment I would prefer not to have to phone landlords who don't seem to want me :rolleyes: ... I wouldn't like to be making too many international calls only to be turned away.... when I arrive in Ireland next week I may start the round of telephone calls and find out if I any landlord is willing to change his mind... :)
    I had imagined that parties had something to do with the "professional" bit :p and I understand that students may not be the dream tenants for a picky landlord, but the "couples" rule escapes me....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by martarg
    Well, for the moment I would prefer not to have to phone landlords who don't seem to want me :rolleyes: ... I wouldn't like to be making too many international calls only to be turned away.... when I arrive in Ireland next week I may start the round of telephone calls and find out if I any landlord is willing to change his mind... :)
    I had imagined that parties had something to do with the "professional" bit :p and I understand that students may not be the dream tenants for a picky landlord, but the "couples" rule escapes me....
    A man will be far cleaner and sedate when living with his girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Martarg,
    As regards the term "couple" the landlord probably means that the apt has a double bed and therefore does not suit 2 singles.
    The landlord probably will accept 1 person who has the capacity to pay the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

I remember once being refused part of a house share by the landlady cause we weren't married. We both had decents jobs at the time too (me AIB him ESB) - never understood how anybody could be so old fashioned in this day and age. We did get married in the end too. We've never missed a rent day bar once (our actual wedding day) which was paid without fail the following day. Hmmm...some people don't know good tenants when they see them.
    Just try and sweet talk them a bit. Most people when they see you're keen, have a good job and can furnish them with decent refernces that they can check if they want. Some want references from employers too. Granted, our present landlords handed over keys before we had a chance to give em the deposit and such. Depends on the person really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭martarg

A man will be far cleaner and sedate when living with his girlfriend.

That makes a lot of sense, Seamus :D (although what guarantee does the landlord have that the same does not apply to a single woman :p ?) (Landlords of the world, don't read that, I am a soap maniac :D )
    As regards the term "couple" the landlord probably means that the apt has a double bed and therefore does not suit 2 singles.
    Hmm, not always... other times they give you the option of being a couple or two singles... perhaps they can supply different bedding arrangements according to the tenants, but I have also seen an ad with "COUPLES ONLY" in big capital letters... anyway, their loss (chin up, look of supreme dignity :p )
    Just try and sweet talk them a bit. Most people when they see you're keen, have a good job and can furnish them with decent refernces that they can check if they want.
    Aaahhh, the reference problem... "yes, sure, here are my references, no previous landlords, but you can call my mom and my thesis supervisor back in Spain... my future mentor doesn't know me personally yet, but he probably won't mind supposing that I am a good girl... anyway, this is a letter from my bank, it is in Spanish, but I can translate it for you if you trust me" :D ... well, I am half joking, I don't think it will be this bad, and I already have a few appointments, but coming from abroad has its difficulties....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

martarg wrote:
    Going over hundreds of adverts, I have noticed that a lot of landlords look for "two professionals or a couple". I am curious about that stipulation... Why would they prefer to rent to two people instead of one? should I bother answering those ads if I am single? Could I be accepted in one of those apartments if I can persuade the landlord that I can afford the rent? Or is there some other reason for the preference?
    "Professional" justs means that you're working and not a student or on rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

martarg wrote:
    That makes a lot of sense, Seamus :D (although what guarantee does the landlord have that the same does not apply to a single woman :p ?) (Landlords of the world, don't read that, I am a soap maniac :D )
    Well, on the whole, women are cleaner than men. A single man living on his own is far happier to live in his own filth, than a single woman on her own. There is no debate on this, it's a fact. :)

Advertisement