Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heading to Scotland

• 28-07-2004 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

I am heading to Scotland in August, and am just wondering which is the best place to go - Edinburugh or Glasgow.

I will be bringing my daughter with me, so I would like advise on what is there that could entertain herself and myself while we are over there. We will be going mid-week during the week of the 23rd, so advise would be most welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Edinburgh's got more touristy stuff, more chilled out, and isn't as much of a dump. Glasgow's got plenty to do as well, but the locals are an acquired taste IMHO. You don't say how old your daughter is, so I dunno if I should be recommending stuff for kids/teenagers to do or what...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Sorry, she's 9 so she is into pretty much everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

IMO: Edinburgh is a better place to bring kids - Glasgow is a better place to go on a mad drinking frenzy.

In Edinburgh the royal mile, castle, observatory and Arthur's seat are probably the biggest attractions.

If she's that age, head for Edinburgh. Take her to the castle, the zoo, Camera Obscura,. Hire a car and go to Deep Sea World or Blair Drummond Safari Park. And there are plenty of nice pubs and restaurants to go in the evenings...

Have a look at http://www.edinburgh.org

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

I'm from Glasgow, don't know what "aquired taste" means in relation to the locals.

As for where is best, they are both very different. Edinburgh has much more "touristy" stuff to recommend it, but is also very busy. The royal mile, castle etc are all well worth seeing.

Also, it only takes an hour on the train to get to Glasgow from Edinburgh. In Glasgow, there is quite a lot to do particularly in the west end of the city (Glasgow Uni etc). Have a look here:

http://www.seeglasgow.com/

But then there is also:

www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk

Which gives an alternative look at the city (and is also very funny)

Whichever you choose, you'll enjoy it. If its your first time, then I'd have to say Edinburgh, but with perhaps a day trip to Glasgow.

• Advertisement

I lived in Glasgow for nearly eight years, so trust me. :) With an Irish accent, one half loves you and the other doesn't. Glasgow does have plenty of attractions, but I've personally found Edinburgh to be friendlier.

Advertisement