Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fireworks last night

• 28-07-2004 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Did anyone else hear them or know what they were in aid of
    I live in clonsilla but know people in ballyfermot and lucan who saw them too so they must have been impressive. I could only hear them thought it was thunder at first but then saw a HUGE green glow fill the sky - had never seen anything like it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

I think it was Luttrelstown castle. They started about 11.20, just as I was nodding off. Had a very good view from my bed with the curtain pulled back. Nice display - shame about the timing.

All made worse by the verse of Irish Rover at full blast afterwards. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Did I what, it was a pretty big display. Was it for a wedding or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

yeah actually i kinda remember something similar when posh and becks wedding was there, but they were nowhere near as loud as last nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Thanks be to Jebus! I thought I heard fireworks last night (in Lucan) but each time I opened the window they seemed to stop. I thought one of my hard drives was about to go cuntybooby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Phew! I was wondering what the hell all the noise was!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

Yeah I heard them aswell (clonsilla) but couldnt see them!:dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭lynchie

I was hoping somebody else had seen them cause nobody else would believe me otherwise!. Saw and heard them from about 11:40 - 11:55 last night from Clondalkin.

As was already said, they weren't your moore street type fireworks but a proper firework display. They pretty much lit up the whole sky around my area. Took a few photos on my camera phone but they just look like some of the greenish night time shots from sky news in baghdad last year when it was being bombed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by Hello Kitty
    Yeah I heard them aswell (clonsilla) but couldnt see them!:dunno:

Im in clonsilla too - heard them but didnt look out the window , they were v.loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Yep, I heard them aswell and was wondering wtf was going on! (also in Clonsilla) anyone know what the celebration was for... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

Originally posted by Tusky
    Im in clonsilla too - heard them but didnt look out the window , they were v.loud.

Yeah they were really loud..... i was trying to read during it!!!:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Is there a noise law out there to stop this kind of lark late at night in residential neighbourhoods?

Thing is I was nodding off to sleep and those bangs at around midnight woke me up.

What are our rights on these things, I smell a lawsuit :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

One night I heard some loud pops and bangs in Stillorgan - I looked out the window and saw fireworks from the direction of Leopardstown race course, nothing unusual.

The next day I was in work and I overheard my boss (who also lived in Stillorgan) telling some people "I heard a gun battle in Stillorgan last night - there was some pistol fire and then some machine gun fire".

Christ! what a retard! (no wonder that company went down the sh1tter) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Thank god someone else heard these!! I thought I was going mad. And I only had the couple last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Repli
    I could only hear them thought it was thunder at first but then saw a HUGE green glow fill the sky - had never seen anything like it
    JOURNALIST: No one would have believed, in the last years of the nineteenth century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space. No one could have dreamed we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even considered the possibility of life on other planets and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely, they drew their plans against us.

At midnight on the twelfth of August, a huge mass of luminous gas erupted from Mars and sped towards Earth. Across two hundred million miles of void, invisibly hurtling towards us, came the first of the missiles that were to bring so much calamity to Earth. As I watched, there was another jet of gas. It was another missile, starting on its way.

And that's how it was for the next ten nights. A flare, spurting out from Mars - bright green, drawing a green mist behind it - a beautiful, but somehow disturbing sight. Ogilvy, the astronomer, assured me we were in no danger. He was convinced there could be no living thing on that remote, forbidding planet.

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said.

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one - but still they come!"
    (Jeff Wayne's version is a little more concise than Mr Wells')

Careful now, down with this kind of thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I saw them too, looked cool but poxy timing. It was some party to do with a film or so i heard......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

castleknock here, very loud and clear.
    very very loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by tony 2 tone
    I saw them too, looked cool but poxy timing. It was some party to do with a film or so i heard......
    As a matter of fact i think it was to do with the 25th year anniversary of the Clonsilla parish - if that is right the fact that this thread seems to be packed with people from Clonsilla and yet none of you know this is kinda sad.....it shows a total lack of participation in your community*

*as for me I was busy.....washing my hair:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Well I am over on the southside so this is the first I've heard of them, but I have seen and heard the occasional one around the Stillorgan and Leopardstown areas, and they were not gun battles in those instances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

As a matter of fact i think it was to do with the 25th year anniversary of the Clonsilla parish - if that is right the fact that this thread seems to be packed with people from Clonsilla and yet none of you know this is kinda sad.....it shows a total lack of participation in your community*QUOTE]

Would have thought that clonsilla parish is a lot older than that.... :confused:

Advertisement