Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Wireless Router Firewall

• 28-07-2004 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi Guys,
    I was just wondering has any ever setup a fire wall or some other means of securing the Wireless router from Wardrivers?

In other words if the Neighbours get wind of a Wireless access point in our gaff how do i stop them for useing it and our internet connection?

regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭job

You can encrypt the data being transmitted, by using WEP/WPA, u can create an ssid & depending on the router, some have to ability to allow access to the network, by specifing the mac address of a chosen network card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Angelus_of_eire

OK ,
    So use WEP on all the PCs that are connected, but whats to stop them from Accessing the Wireless router??
    Has any one setup a Wireless router from Eircom??
    Regards
    Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

You can hide your ssid if its an 11g router.

As job said you can specify which mac addresses are allowed to connect to the router. These two things are probably enough ( + WPA or, if you must WEP ) to deter wardrivers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did the router not come with a handbook (at least on the accompanying cd?) I have had a couple of routers and they all came with pretty comprehensive handbooks on the cds. Failing that have you checked the netopia site for support?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

In fairness, the Netopia does come with an Eircom handbook, but its not exactly straight forward & took me quite some time to set up the basics of enabling WPA/WEP.

Not what you'd call user friendly......more.....Eircom friendly !:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Forgot to add this link- there's a much more comprehensive setup manual on the Netopia site:

http://www.netopia.com/equipment/pdf/manuals/3347W-ENT_qsg.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Angelus_of_eire

HI,
    Cheers Lads,

Ill give it a go this weekend and secure the whole lot and be done with it.

Just that one of the lads ( LandLord ) is on my back about the neighbours useing his " Connection to get to the Net" so i said ill secure it as best i can as long as they follow my instructions,

Im gonna get them to all use the same software , ZLID, Spy Sweeper and then Norton Antivirus 2004 , as i have full access to all of these and can help them out if something comes up.

CCheers!
    Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

how do you open a port on these bad boys?

Advertisement