Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 Euro Freezeout in the Merrion

Options
  • 28-07-2004 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

I decided to go down to the 100 Euro freezeout in the Merrion last night. Its a good tournament, you get 4000 chips and blinds go up quite slowly so theres plenty of play. So its just after the break & Im doing well, I have almost 6000 in chips. I get AKs on the button and raise. I get reraised by a guy who's normally very, very tight (old guy, cant remember his name). Normally with AK Im going all in in this situation, but I couldn't see him reraising without at least QQ, KK or better, it was only another 600 to me so I called. Flop comes up A X X. He bets 500 which was an odd bet, it either meant extreme weakness or a monster. I raised him 2000 and he pushes all in. I thought for a couple of seconds and folded, he shows AA for trip Aces. I should of folded this preflop.

Anyway, few hands later and Im quite shortstacked, I have around 2400 chips. Im on the button and decide to push with A9s after a few limpers. A young guy beside me who has being doing a lot of calling thinks for a while, and then says "well Ive seen worse". And calls. What does he flip over? 8 4 offsuit. 8 on the river and IGHN.

I remember now why I much prefer playing online:
    a) Ive never seen a call that bad at equivalent stakes online
    b) I haven't wasted 3 hours of my life (since I would of been playing other games etc).

Still, Im looking forward to monday, but any dodgy calls with 8 4 and there will be some seriously evil looks. :ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

So you were all in on A9 suited.... and the only guy to call you has 8 4 off suit? And you're complaining?
    What would you prefer your all-in to be called with???

I love playing against players who make terrible calls. They'll suck out on you every now and then and hit their pair on the river but in the long run its all good.

Must remember calling with 84o puts HectorJelly on tilt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Depending on stack sizes allot of people would make that call just cause they have a chance of putting a player out of the tournament. What kind of stack did the other player have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Originally posted by Waylander
    Depending on stack sizes allot of people would make that call just cause they have a chance of putting a player out of the tournament. What kind of stack did the other player have?

There was still 3 tables left so I dont think that would be a justification. He had around 4/5 k I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Originally posted by lafortezza
    So you were all in on A9 suited.... and the only guy to call you has 8 4 off suit? And you're complaining?
    What would you prefer your all-in to be called with???

[/size]

Well your right, but the reason I play the 100 FO and not the other tournaments is too avoid these players. I play offline mainly for enjoyment. It was pretty funny when he turned 8 4 over, I was sitting there wondering had I just ran into a KK limp reraise, or maybe a loose caller giving it a lash with A 10 or something like that. The whole table erupted into laughter.

Advertisement