Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where are all the wasps??

• 28-07-2004 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Not once this Summer have I encountered a wasp! Usually at this time of year, their everywhere and aren't afraid to sting anythng in their path!

However, this year I havent seen any! Not even the baby wasps that you would see during June and Early July!

Is the wasps population dwindling? Or am I not getting out enough?

I have seen many Bee's though!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

They all moved to Galway, lots of them here :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

Ive seen only one wasp so far...and it was in my house.
    Hate them.:mad:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Don't encourage them! One of them could be reading boards now and realize the mistake! I hate them - let them stay away! They freak me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Grrr! I hate them too! They are the scumbag of insects!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Ardent

I was thinking about this the other day too! I've hardly seen any bees or wasps this summer (summer?!). Very strange. I put it down to the crap month of July we've had.

As an aside, yesterday was a weird day, very warm and humid. Walking down Baggot St, the street seemed infested with dragon flies and various other small flies going crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

i've seen a few this year, wish they'd all **** off however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Eaten by flying ants.

Maybe the ants are wasps in disguise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Why are people so afraid of them?
    The sting isn't any worse then a bad hangover really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Maybe so, but their irritating and tbh, you don't want to go around with a bad hangover everyday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There was a wasp nest right outside my window last year, and the fuckers stayed there until the middle of winter!

I used to be fairly apatethic towards wasps, letting them fly around me and land on me and whatnot. That's until one of the little shits stung me. Now, whenever there's a wasp within 4 feet of me, it's a case of arms and legs flying in every direction trying to kill it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Saw a few alright. One when at a picnic with a group of people, made me scream like a girl it did :mad: Another time was in my house, had to kill it I was so petrified (and normally I never kill an insect, I always pick spiders up and put them outside the door etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

We've got loads of wasps, want me to send you some ?
    I'll get a quote off DHL

dont forget to put holes in the box so they can breathe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

isn't it strange though how much power they have over us? i mean, they are like a few hundred times smaller than us. i love bees though, they are so cute and furry, especially when they are carrying pollen sacs... awwww...but wasps..man thats another story, they just look evil...biatchyyy.....like they are just here to inflict pain on us. i have never gotten stung by one though, which is odd as once i was in a field where there was a few hives or whatever, all my friends got stung and even had them in their underwear but i got off scot- free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

a wasp (not the same one) flies by my bedroom window every hour or so, and they always run into my open window in the same spot.. then fly around, fly inside.. then fly outside..

then fly into the other side of the window, and then fly on

always.. in the same places

it's beginning to get weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

insects dont seem to realise when they hit a window that they cant get through it and they just bang on it endlessly, getting more and more frustrated. i went into my bathroom once, and the window had been left open so all the crawlies were able to get in....there was this HUGE beetle lying on it's back just wriggling it's legs helplessy..beetles are cool..they are really shiny and somewhat graceful.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

they've obv fecked off to somewhere with a decent summer. Worst summer ever, soooooo, bland. Not cold, not hot, not sunny, but not dull. Just crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I have a wasp in my office right now....I winged him with a copy of the company accounts & although I can hear an angry buzzing - I cant find the fecker....

I have a morbid fear of bees and wasps. Stems from an incident a few years ago where I got stung THREE times by a single bastid of a bee:

I was a passenger in a car, had the passenger window down on a beautiful summers day, and the f*cker came in the window and went down my t-shirt. Didn't even know he was there until I got this almightly pain in the centre of my back. I thought at first there was something sharp portruding from the seat and turned around to check what it could be and that's when the bastid stung me again - this time under my arm-pit. That's when I knew something was seriously wrong, something was eating me alive and I stated screaming "stop the f*cking car!!! let me out!!!" etc etc.

As I was getting out of the car, he got me again, on the wrist. I must have looked like a mad lunatic to anyone who was passing by - shirt off, dancing around like a man possessed, shaking my shirt and arms furiously. He was hanging for dear life to my shirt and I swear he was the biggest motherf*cker I've seen in my life, I couldn't believe they could get to that size, he was so big. Turned out he left his poison in the last sting - my wrist was almost twice it's normal size for a couple of weeks after that.

So. like another poster said, if I see a bee or wasp in the same postcode as me, I'm all arms and legs!

Originally posted by Andip
    I have a wasp in my office right now....I winged him with a copy of the company accounts & although I can hear an angry buzzing - I cant find the fecker....

Occasionally, one lands on the extended part of the rollerblind in my office.
    If you're quick enough, you can sometimes make "Wasp Roly-Poly"

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    Occasionally, one lands on the extended part of the rollerblind in my office.
    If you're quick enough, you can sometimes make "Wasp Roly-Poly"

:D

thats just evil.....

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Originally posted by Andip

ROFL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

the ants are wasps in costume !

"awwwww lil flying antsy wantsy, ARG he stung meon the eyeball bastard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Ardent
    I have a morbid fear of bees and wasps. Stems from an incident a few years ago

Same with me. It was a good few years ago, as I was in my school uniform.

Was in a friends garden, lovely hot day. Felt a sort of itch on my inside thigh and scratched it. Seconds later I felt this unmerciful pain and I started to panic. I ran into my friends garage, pulling my trousers down as I ran (nearly killing myself in the process). There was the little fecker wasp giving me everything he had.

It amazing now - any time I hear any kind of insect buzz, I lose the plot. And if I see a wasp, it's run like a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

no wasps this year. hurray!!!!!!! instead i'm getting the odd fly buzzing in front of the tv :mad:

Either you were very unlucky or it wasn't a honey bee.....the sting from a honey bee normally stays in the flesh aftre the first sting......

Mutant Honey bees - OMG

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    no wasps this year. hurray!!!!!!! instead i'm getting the odd fly buzzing in front of the tv :mad:

Get a job ya hippie :D

coming to think of it, the only time I ever got stung by a wasp, was AFTER i killed the ****er...

I squashed it with a net curtain, but the stinger went through and got me in the thumb!

Ouch...if that aint bad luck....

Could say its a story with a sting in the tail :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Had a couple of bad incidents with them.

When I was much younger (about 4 or 5) I had one fly into my ear. I panicked and started trying to poke it out with my finger. It just started buzzing louder and louder. I thought the sound was gonna make me go deaf. Thankfully it didn't sting me, but I did have to go to hospital to get the remains taken out of my ear - that's why if I hear it fly past my ear I sorta freak out and swing wildly. BTW, that's an advanced sorry for anyone who I might be standing beside when it happens, and gets a whack in the head by mistake :o

The other happened a few years later when I was a teenager out on a group holiday. We were riding mountain bikes and got to a hillside joining the bottom bikeroad we were on, and one on up the hill. As we wheeled the bikes up the hill through the trees I felt an almighty pain in my leg. I thought it was a muscle spasm or something so didn't even look. The pain got progressively worse and when I looked down, it was hanging dead from the stinger which was half way out of it. I batted the thing off my leg but the stinger remained. Was quite sore actually. The upside of that was, I had a lot of girls come to me and offer to suck it out of my leg :D

Wasps eh!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    They are in my house.
    Opened a wardrobe and there in the corner was a hive that I did not see.
    Took out a coat and the hive was attached to it.
    hundreds of wasps swarming around and stinging like mad.

And now I don't care if I get arrested by the wasp cruelty association but I threw the hive out the hall door and killed all remaining wasps
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Originally posted by ][cEMAN**
    I had one fly into my ear. I panicked and started trying to poke it out with my finger. It just started buzzing louder and louder. I thought the sound was gonna make me go deaf.

Oh sweet jeebus. I really didn't need to hear that story, no pun intended. You must get a panic attack when you hear one anywhere near you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

They were stung in a covert sting attack by the flying ants...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Our local pet shop sells wasps.
    Or a least I think they do.
    They have some in the window.
    I'll check the price and get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

oh there is pleanty up here, im workin in an orchard and i have wasps and all sorts of other buzzing bastards flying around all day, i still havnt been stung by one tho :D annoy the sh1t out of me though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

they are all in my shed, 6 hives !, at least 200 per minute entering and exiting, they must have some sort of air traffic control system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought WASPs only attacked black people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

what ?, you are forgetting the jews !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by |.Murderer.|

Not even the baby wasps that you would see during June and Early July!

I've just seen one 10 minutes ago

Unless you mean hoverflies?

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/ppdl/hot03/08-26.html

http://www.mnh.si.edu/botany/bcn/issue/187.html

I've noticed the number of those guys varires widely from year to year

Also I always thought wasps tend to come out in late August - early September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Our local pet shop sells wasps.
    They have some in the window.
    :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    Get a job ya hippie :D

no, i prefer to get paid money to sit at a pc 40 hours a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    no, i prefer to get paid money to sit at a pc 40 hours a week

And me too! Aol is such a nice place to work:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As a child, in short sleeves and shorts, I got a whole load of wasps stinging me after inadvertently disturbing them. I don't have any great fear of them. They won't attack you if you don't attack them. If they land on a leaf they don't sting it and if they land on your arm and you don't do anything dramatic, they won't sting you either and will just fly off. It's when they land and people start doing all sorts to get rid of them, that they will sting, or if, like I did, you disturb them. On that subject, here is something from the 1997 Darwin Awards. For those of you that might not know, the Darwin Awards salute the improvement of the human genome by honouring those who accidentally kill themselves in really stupid ways.

Los Angeles, CA. Ani Saduki, 33, and his brother decided to remove a bees nest from a shed on their property with the aid of a pineapple (a pineapple is an illegal firecracker which is the explosive equivalent of one-half stick of dynamite). They ignited the fuse and retreated to watch from inside their home, behind a window some 10 feet away from the hive/shed. The concussion of the explosion shattered the window inwards, seriously lacerating Ani. Deciding he needed stitches, the brothers headed out to go to a nearby hospital. While walking towards their car, Ani was stung three times by the surviving bees. Unbeknownst to either brother, Ani was allergic to bee venom, and died of suffocation en route to the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

cuntt i read this thread today.. went out for a smoke a while later and got stung..

by a wasp that is..

Andip wrote:

Found him this morning floating upside down in a cold cup of tea.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

There's always a few wasps outside my front door for some reason. If you want to see a few wasps head down to Cortown (aka. Dublin 25), the place is swarming with them.

The big question though is where have all the bee's gone? I remember we used to catch bee's in Maxwell House jars when I was a kid, now you would do well to see a bee in the whole of Dublin. I'm not talking about this year alone but over the last few years the bee population has virtually disappeared. I always thought there was more bee's than wasps about a decade ago.

Come to think of it, where have all the Robin's and Sparrow's gone? I haven't seen one in years, they have been overtaken by the ugly Starlings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

We used to something like that as kids. Get a jam jar and half fill it with water. Then smear the rest of the inside with jam or maramalade. When the wasps would come some would fall into the water or slip into it and couldn't get out.

:)

Advertisement