Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What c++ book would u recommend

Options
  • 28-07-2004 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭

Ok I PHP and a little VB so i wouldn't say i'm a true newbie with C++. What book would you recommend. I know they say its impossible to learn from a book, but I think i'm up to it. Done it with PHP (I know easier language) but still Id like to get myself a book. I'm gone crazy on reading and learning again this year...

Just wondering what book would suit me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

Ivor Horton's beginning visual c++ is good

its got all the good non microsoft stuff and then some good MFC stuff after it!

i read a few books on c before this but this one really did clear things up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PhilH

Here's a crazy notion. Lots of folks might think this is a bot of an odd way of doing things, but if you're not looking to pick up C++ for immediate use...

Learn some C from Kernighan and Ritchie's book. It's an excellent book, and it's not big. I learned C from it (although years ago) and I still think it is one of the best technical books I have read.

Then learn some relatively high-level object oriented language. Really just to get familiar with classes, objects, etc. You couldn't go far wrong with Java here, and that's a faily marketable one.

Then you're in a pretty good position to pick up C++ without letting all of the fiddly crap obscure the big picture stuff that you learned in your earlier OO stuff.

You could of course just go straight to C++, and (if you were interested) let vanilla C fall out of that by default and try to pick up OO stuff through C++. But if you're looking to do this for your own personal development (I'm picking that up from the "gone crazy on reading and learning" comment), then I think this might be a good sequence.

Hasten to add, this is speculation; it's not the way I picked these things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Thanks lads. Well yeah it is for my personal interest at the moment but i'm hoping for that to turn into a career. I would rather learn C++ straight to be honest...and pick up from that. The first book mentioned there has got good reviews too, i might just get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Get "Accelerated C++" by Koenig & Moo.

Kernighan & Richie is a nicely-written book, but you want to learn C++, not C. They are quite different languages.

silverside wrote:
    Get "Accelerated C++" by Koenig & Moo.

Kernighan & Richie is a nicely-written book, but you want to learn C++, not C. They are quite different languages.

Would this be suitable for a beginner learning C++

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

yes absolutely.
    see http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/

Cool cheers thanks lad

Advertisement