Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barack Obama - America's First Black President?

Options
  • 28-07-2004 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭

Last night I was watching a rousing speech on MSNBC - a speech (and a man) that clearly stood out from all the rest, not because of his colour, but because of his words and the earnestness with which he presented them.

This man was Barack Obama - someone who I now, upon watching this, firmly believe could potentially be the first black president of the United States.

Does anybody agree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Just watched the speech online (link ) - well, most of it, as the sound cut out at the end, but you can read the transcript there too.

He's a good speaker alright, serious but not dull, with a good turn of phrase and some actual ideas underlying it all. I liked the second half, where he's treading the usual ground about a the ideal of a free, united america then nimbly links it to
    A belief that we are connected as one people. If there’s a child on the south side of Chicago who can’t read, that matters to me, even if it’s not my child. If there’s a senior citizen somewhere who can’t pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it’s not my grandmother. If there’s an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties.

It's the way he talks about discrimination and inequality without a divisive tone that's good. Okay, it's not exactly original, but he does put it across well.

First black president? He's the number one contender, but that's not saying much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

:rolleyes:

I doubt it will happen, in this century anyway, the whole system has mutated into a corporate sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I heard the Sunday Tribunes correspondent on the Last Word talk about the guy so I logged onto the site earlier this evening to watch the speech. He's definitely a good communicator and he has a presidential air about him.

His delivery made the speech. the content was very much like what the West Wing writers would come up with for Pres Bartlett. It was interesting to watch his timing during the speech. Starting off slow, building on his point about one America (re-iterated several times, very nice) and then getting the crowd enthused fully for the last 5 or 6 minutes.

GO Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Saw the speech myself last night and he is definitely a man who is going places.

Alas I don't think he'll get as far as the White House. Unfortunately I cannot see popular opinion changing enough in the US for that to happen.

He is a fantastic public speaker,he was far more impressive than Howard Dean last night anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

It seems impossible because no ones ever done it before. He does seem to be charasmatic and hits all the right buttons but H.Clinton has got the 2008 nomination unless Kerry surprises everyone and becomes the first 4x4 plank to be elected President of the USA - a triumph for secondary wood products everywhere. The fact that he praises Kerry so much as "the best America has to offer" is frightening - either the US is far worse off than we imagined or Obamas not the straight talker thats required. Could be a Clinton VP and then work his way up to Presidential candidate whenever Clinton loses/retires.

That said Im guessing the Republicans will be trying to get the first Cuban-American elected President around the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Originally posted by Sand
    The fact that he praises Kerry so much as "the best America has to offer" is frightening - either the US is far worse off than we imagined or Obamas not the straight talker thats required.

How do you propose he describe John Kerry at the Democratic National Convention? With the main purpose of the convention being the proposal of John Kerry as the Party's presidential candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Originally posted by Sand
    Could be a Clinton VP and then work his way up to Presidential candidate whenever Clinton loses/retires.

He is certainly getting plenty of TV time over here. Up until two weeks ago, I had never heard of him. Now he is on nearly every channel. He certainly seems level headed, sincere and charismatic (which is severly lacking in the two dimwits running this time around).

I agree with Sand's theory. Hillary has the 2008 nomination wrapped up, but he could be the ideal running mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by alleepally
    Starting off slow, building on his point about one America (re-iterated several times, very nice) ...

GO Kerry!

sounds like a bunch of commie red balonie to me, nosirrah!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

saw him speak and **** me is he a good orator!

Sure why everyday white amercians are becoming the minority and I heard the republicans are afraid of running someone against him for the senate seat in illinois :)

yea def someone to look out for in the future could see it happening in the next 20 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement