Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting As A Sole Trader

Options
  • 28-07-2004 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the process involved and how much it would cost to set up as a sole trader?
    Thanks,
    center15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

I know a girl (with hardly any English) who just set up a company as a sole trader.

She said it was simple, and the fee was around the EUR 50 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Ok, thanks for all the links.
    center15

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

might be a bit off topic but if you can start a company for only 50euro, can you then get company motor insurance? because thats alot cheaper than normal insurance isn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I know a girl (with hardly any English) who just set up a company as a sole trader.
    A sole trader is not a company. A company is a separate legal person with it's own identity and protections and responsibilities. A sole trader (I presume you mean Registered Business Name) is merely a different name, but is intrinsically tied tot he individual.
    dub_dan wrote:
    might be a bit off topic but if you can start a company for only 50euro, can you then get company motor insurance? because thats alot cheaper than normal insurance isn't it.
    As above, it's not a company. Setting up a company will cost several hundred euros and several thousand euros a year to file returns. As it is a business and you will be carrying stock etc. (in the eyes of the insurer) the insurance is often higher, although it can be written off against tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

As far as I am aware you do not need to do anything to start up as a sole trader. One thing you might want to do though, is register your trading name, i.e. Rentakil or whatever, (unless you are going to trade under your own name) at the Companies Registration Office. That would probably cost something. Other than that, you don't need anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

A natural person named John Smith can be a sole trade as "John Smith", it is only if he trades as something else like "Smith & Sons Cleaning Services" or something that he must register a RBN with the CRO.

As such we are all I suppose sole traders, If I do a job for someone and give them an "invoice" for say 20 euro I am a sole trader. But of course leaving a paper trail I would then have to note this income on my annual personal returns, and preferably have a business bank account.

Advertisement