Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw - What is the big deal?

Options
  • 28-07-2004 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,

I was thinking of buying a 01/02 318 but is it really worth it??? They are sooooo overpriced and there is loads of them on the road. The spec (unless you get a UK import) is pretty crap compared with Jap cars.

Come on Bmw owners what is the big deal!!!!:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

If you can, buy a 98 or 99 5 series with a hign spec. There are some good examples around now especially since the new model arrived. Wait your time and one will come your way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Emm..have you ever driven a BMW? **** the prestige. They are the most refined, accomplished, sporty solidly built cars money can buy. Japanese cars have that 'tin can' feeling in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

BMW? Slighty better-built Rovers.

There's thousands of them out there and are now as common as muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It depends which model you buy. Modern 3 series are common as muck thanks to the Celtic tiger. On the other hand finding a really nice e30 6-pot should be a reason to rejoice! I'd not buy a 4 pot bmw full stop.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you have the money, buy it. You won't regret it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'd not buy a 4 pot bmw full stop.
    What, not even an E30 M3? :)

Or what about another vehicle fitted with a 4 pot BMW motor?
    BT521.jpg

:)
    BrianD3

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

there is also the E30 318is and 320is 4 pots - the 318is was built as a form of GTi. The 320is was built specially for the Italian & Portugese markets and is based on a standard E30 but with a 2L version of the S14 - the engine from the awesome E30 M3.

As for driving a BMW - have you ever driven a well balanced car? Have you ever driven RWD?
    I didn't think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by michaelanthony
    Emm..have you ever driven a BMW? **** the prestige. They are the most refined, accomplished, sporty solidly built cars money can buy. Japanese cars have that 'tin can' feeling in my experience.

^^^^^snob value^^^^

That is the reason alot of people pay big premiums to buy BMWs and I find it a bit sad, I am sure there are people who buy them because they do genuinely like the handling or styling (not anymore i hope) but I have never met any. The only BMW owners I have known, in this country anyway have been the type that believe owning one somehow elevates them above everyone else.

My previous employer was one of those, he always held his keys with the BMW badge outward when he was out and about, always referred to his car as "the BMW" or "the beemer"; "I am going out to a meetingin the beemer" As if we would get confused and think he was going to get the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,387 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by John R
    ^^^^^snob value^^^^

That is the reason alot of people pay big premiums to buy BMWs and I find it a bit sad, I am sure there are people who buy them because they do genuinely like the handling or styling (not anymore i hope) but I have never met any. The only BMW owners I have known, in this country anyway have been the type that believe owning one somehow elevates them above everyone else.

I take it you mean people that buy them new or nearly new and pay the big bucks. I absolutely love those people. Not them personally, but the fact they do buy those cars

When I bought mine second hand, it cost less than the cheapest new car in Ireland. And bejaysis what a car it is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you buy a BMW you become the motorist equivalent of a a Man Utd fan ie everybody will hate you for your class. Be prepared to sit for long periods at junctions, nobody will let you out, until another BMW comes along.

But its still worth it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Also noticed since riding my "beeeemer" bike, i'm getting a lot more respect on the road..car drivers don't cut me up as much , maybe because the bike is big and red and sounds like an aircraft jet when revving, but other car drivers, especially BMW drivers seem to treat me with more respect on the road (and conversly..I treat them the same too..odd how a little badge on the vehicle makes all the difference).

All i can say is, until you have driven one , be it a car or bike, you cannot appreciate the sense of well being that driving one brings :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Out of the whole range I like the 5 series drivers most. I find most people who drive these are decent. except the odd gangster wannabe.

Anyone know where I might pickup a '00 520 with an M-kit

do you want pre or post upgrade? (post comes with new lights, alloys, etc.)
    A 520i should be easy enough to come by as they are quite common due to lower tax and insurance.
    Try and get one with all the extras - leather, sunroof, aircon, obc
    Look at www.cbg.ie, www.buyandsell.ie, www.autotrader.ie and all the other usuals.

Anyone know where I might pickup a '00 520 with an M-kit

Sheep in wolves' clothing? ;)

Seriously, are you sure you want a 520? They are very expensive second hand in Ireland and easily set you back more than a 523 with same spec. If you must, make sure you go for the new more powerful (M54 2.2) engine that became available some time during 2000, replacing the M52 2.0

If I were you I'd save myself many thousands and go for a '97 or '98 523 or 528

The extra costs in tax/insurance/petrol are peanuts compared by the saving in the asking price (provided you have no claims, full license, are older than dunno about 27 etc. of course)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Hagar wrote:
    Be prepared to sit for long periods at junctions, nobody will let you out, until another BMW comes along.
    I was expecting that, but hardly experience it at all. If anything, people are more polite than when I was driving a compact.

I love my E34.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

I used to own one myself. I reckon myself that anyone can own a BMW - it's running one is where the reals costs are.

Found a '00 520 with all the kit anyone know how much (for research purposes) this is worth.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=146853

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

mcloughl wrote:
    Hi,

I was thinking of buying a 01/02 318 but is it really worth it??? They are sooooo overpriced and there is loads of them on the road. The spec (unless you get a UK import) is pretty crap compared with Jap cars.

Come on Bmw owners what is the big deal!!!!:confused::confused:

overpriced, car with no prestige also looks like non of the bmw cars comes with the indicator switch or maybe just drivers are ignorant. lots of money to be paid for the badge

Gmodified wrote:
    overpriced, car with no prestige also looks like non of the bmw cars comes with the indicator switch or maybe just drivers are ignorant. lots of money to be paid for the badge
    I'm not saying this as a BMW driver, since I've only been one for a few months: I've seen this complaint time and time again, but I've never seen it in the flesh myself. People indicate, people don't indicate, but it's not related to a particular marque. Maybe it's a localised thing; it certainly doesn't happen down here.

Or is it simply that you're the person posting it on Motornet and other sites? There seems to be quite a few people on the motoring sites with multiple handles. We have a technical term for them in the trade: They're called "twits".

adam

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote:
    Be prepared to sit for long periods at junctions, nobody will let you out, until another BMW comes along

Not my experience altough I feared same when getting my first. Seems it must be one of those urban myths :dunno:
    Hagar wrote:
    If you buy a BMW you become the motorist equivalent of a a Man Utd fan ie everybody will hate you for your class

Eh?
    dahamsta wrote:
    I love my E34

Nice one :D

Even though they are common now, I expect them to become a classic in due course. It's already 17 years since their introduction :)

unkel wrote:
    Even though they are common now, I expect them to become a classic in due course. It's already 17 years since their introduction :)
    It's a classic to me, since I've wanted one for every single one of those 17 years. :)

adam

Speaking of airplanes, I went into the red by naccident nonest nofficer in the 525 earlier today and the power disappeared completely -- were they fitted with rev limiters or did the curve just drop away after peak revs?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

i wouldn't buy 3 series but have nothing against 5 series which is fine car

dahamsta wrote:
    Speaking of airplanes, I went into the red by naccident nonest nofficer in the 525 earlier today and the power disappeared completely -- were they fitted with rev limiters or did the curve just drop away after peak revs?

adam
    you lose all engine power if you exceed the limit (~6.5k IIRC) - as you would have noticed, power returned when the engine revs fell below this limit.

dahamsta wrote:
    It's a classic to me, since I've wanted one for every single one of those 17 years. :)

Or a Ford Scorpio, Saab, Volvo 850, Merc, Audi 100....... iirc ;)

Advertisement