Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New league sponsors want goals galore

• 28-07-2004 5:13pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think this is wrong,if they are going to give cash just give it.

Football League clubs in England have been challenged to win a £1m (€1.5m) jackpot by scoring a record number of goals between them this season.

New League sponsors Coca-Cola are making the six-figure prize fund available for all 72 League clubs to share if they can score a total of 4,500 or more.

The money will go towards funding a young up-and-coming or apprentice player at each of the clubs for a full season.
    The scheme is part of Coca-Cola’s three-year sponsorship deal, their largest commitment to English football, and was unveiled at the presentation in London attended by several club managers.

Peterborough boss Barry Fry said: “When I started here I think we drew 5-5, lost our next game 7-4 and then won 6-1, so this is ideal for me. I will go out and buy seven more strikers so I can get a few more quid in next year.”

Brian Laws, Scunthorpe’s manager, said: “It’s a marvellous idea. I could get two YT youngsters straight away and how nice for the fans to know that we’ve got an extra player or two thanks to Coca-Cola. We’ll be going for goals more than ever now.”

But Gillingham chairman Paul Scally joked: “I think I misheard the terms of the deal because I thought it was £1million per club and I’ve just acquired seven strikers.”

The sponsorship comes at a critical time for League clubs still struggling to make ends meet since the collapse of ITV Digital.

Under the terms of the deal, Powerade will become the official sports drink of the League and Diet Coke the official soft drink.

Coca-Cola advertising at grounds around the country will also switch from the soft drink’s traditional red and white branding to the colours of the home team.

Steve Cumming, sponsorship manager of the soft drinks giant, said: “One of our aims is to make the game more enjoyable for the fans.

“Another is to continue to support the grass roots of football, as we’ve done for years, strengthening its future in this country.

“The Coca-Cola £1million Goal Chase is a fun idea that we hope will bring these two together adding extra excitement across the season in anticipation of something genuinely valuable to clubs and fans alike – new talent.”

Brighton manager Mark McGhee welcomed the initiative, saying: “This will bring 72 more players into football and that can only be a good thing.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Another sad day for football. This is turning the lower leagues into a circus.

Why not do away with the football altogether and throw the players to the lions (not Millwall mind...;) )?

Advertisement