Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATi Woes...

Options
  • 28-07-2004 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Since getting my 9800 Pro i have built up a very bad grudge against Battlefield Vietnam! It looks to access the Hard Drive everytime i change direction, get in a chopper, shoot the gun etc. Resulting in very un-playable conditions. Anyone ever experience similar things happening?

I even get the lag when graphics on low!

I'm running with 4.7Cats!

I can play Far cry with everything on High/Very High and it works a treat, same with Joint Operations. BF:V played better on my Ti4200!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

re-install game.
    re-install DirectX.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

I am running a fresh install of Windows
    And therefore, Direct X too.

Everything only installed earlier today like!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

sorry jammer meant to respond to your pm on this but forgot

not sure why it works so well for me but its the performance i would expect from the card, i think i'm on catalyst 4.6 atm. perhaps try the omega drivers instead. google omega drivers.

more ram then what you have will help the game big time also and don't have any programs open when you go to run it. this doesn't explain about why your Ti4200 was better though

data

What kinda 3DMArk 01/03 scores to you get data?

Hopefully 1.1 will see the lag stop, although they dont mention any graphical tweaks in the release notes.

The game seems to access the hard disk for pretty much every change in the game, ie change in direction, in/out of choppers, firing of gun etc. I'll get another 512mb stick of RAM and see how i get on from there. I've tried Catalyst 4.3/4.4/4.7 and see no improvement. I'll try the omega's!

I used to play at 800x600x32 with most things on medium (no shadows/lightmaps) with my Ti4200 and it wasn't lagging at all. I can't play on 1024x768x32 with stuff on medium with my 9800Pro. Surely i should be able to crank most things up and play away?

Anyone using 512mb RAM now and experiencing better playing conditions?

[EDIT] I was wondering should i lower my sound settings? Take off EAX perhaps? I have creative's top of the range card at the moment, the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, and im wondering if the CPU still handles the EAX or does the sound card process it, will i see an improvement if i turn it off? I dont want to, cos i shelled out top dollar for the sound card, too much not to use it! [/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i have a 9800XT 256mb and it runs grand on my comp, but i also have a gig of ram too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

3dmark scores 17500/5500 roughly.

the extra ram really makes a difference in nam if only for load times and the ability to alt tab on a whim.

if its acessing the hard drive for everything it would seem ram related to me. however when i was running on 512mb ram i found that at the start of the map or say or when you first fire a gun it would be laggy and the hdd being accessed but after a while it would settle down.

with regard to the sound i use an audigy and i have EAX enabled.

try lower you sound settings see if it makes a difference just to eliminate the possibility

I get 17724/6799 with my current settings. I flashed the Pro to XT. I let it play for 5/6mins and it was still laggy to fire. This really has me baffled. The RAM is fine in memtest!

Even on LOW graphics its accessing the HD at every opertunity! Maybe the game doesnt like my RAM or something, i dunno. I've given up on BF:V now!

Advertisement