Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hajduk Split Vs Shelbourne (Scores)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

hopefully Shels can win a least win more tie (be it Champs League or UEFA Cup) so the coeffeciants rise even more .

anyone know how far way we are from another European place in any competition ?(oh or start qualifying campagin at a later stage)

and how far away are we from losing European spots to other nations .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Well done shels, cracking goals and a great performance. You'd never know what could happen against Depor. Rememver the season has'nt and won't start in spain for a while yet, they could be caught cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Was there last night. Absolutely class. One of the most amazing nights in my football memory - left on an absolute high. Was directly behind the goal, about four rows back, where the goals were scored. Glorious. The minute Rogers connected we were up - knew the ball was home. Incredible. And Ndo was magic for the second. I thought Fitzpatrick was brutal up front though.

As for the Depor games, if the games are at Tolka, here's hoping the true Shels fans (which I won't have the cheek to claim to be) get first refusal on tickets. The noise they were making last night did the team proud, they didn't stop for a minute. After that here's hoping the fans from last nights game are next in line for a ticket - before the fans who will arrive for the glamour tie, and then sink back to the woodwork!

IMHO though, I think in the long term interests of Shels, it may be better to play the match at Lansdowne, and really capitalise!

Anyway, that's for others to decide, for now it's Forza Shels! Incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

What a result ... great game , shels deserved the goal when it came and although they did sit back and defend when one up to the dismay of most of the ground, the hadjuk team were resrting to long balls in which were getting mopped up (on the most part) by the defence , including the fantastic Jamie Harris.

I thought the shels defence had a great game , even williams was catching crosses ;)

This now means shels get 4 more european games , cos if they lose to deportivo they get a uefa spot ...

defo. means shels can stay professional for a few more years and build on the squad and players and hopefully , results like this will become the norm in future ...

( p.s I have a few pictures of the crowd / game anyone know of a few sites that can host the images and let me post the links to them )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

LizardKing wrote:

( p.s I have a few pictures of the crowd / game anyone know of a few sites that can host the images and let me post the links to them )

Boards has 5 Megs for free here

Great match and amazing atmosphere iside Tolka. Well worth the 6 hours travel to get there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

eirebhoy wrote:
    Hopefully the home leg will be played in Tolka (with a load of noise and colour). It would give Shelbourne a much better advantage as Deportivo won't be used to playing in such an intimidating stadium.
    Deportivo are more than used to playing in intimidating stadiums in Spain. The one thing in Shelbourne's favor is that Depor don't travel well in Europe on the flip side however Depor can rip teams apart at home as AC Milan and Real Madrid experienced last year.

Heres a few pics of the ground / game (not the best quality :o )

http://members.boards.ie/lizardking/PICT0013.JPG
    http://members.boards.ie/lizardking/PICT0015.JPG
    http://members.boards.ie/lizardking/PICT0017.JPG
    http://members.boards.ie/lizardking/PICT0020.JPG
    http://members.boards.ie/lizardking/PICT0023.JPG

It will be announced today where the tie will be played , I'd say they might just have it in Tolka and up the price to 20 / 25 yoyo's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

eirebhoy would you reckon tolka would be more intimidating than the nou camp?

anyway, i personally think the match should be moved to landsdowne, it makes far greater economic sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

1) Fair play to Shels. Great performance and two great goals

2) Personally, I would love the game to be played at Lansdowne, I would definitely go and bring along the young lad as well. If it were at Tolka, I would leave it to Shels fans, real and fair-weather, for which I fail to qualify on both counts.

3) Could that be a well meaning sentiment that could result in the game being less than a sell out?

4) and if so, and maybe this is not the time or place to raise such an issue, but what would the capital city give at this moment in time for a nice all-seater 20,000 capacity stadium?

It would be perfect for such occasions. And for Leinster's Heineken Cup games. A ground that size would be perfect for big domestic occasions. (eg FAI Cup. All-Ireland Rugby Final, Big European games) and wouldn't look as empty as say Lansdowne Road does when it's used for anything other than internationals.

You'd think the soccer/rugby guys would sit down together and say OK lads. Let's do business. Either Donnybrook, or say Dalymount, would be perfect locations for just such a stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

You'd think the soccer/rugby guys would sit down together and say OK lads. Let's do business. Either Donnybrook, or say Dalymount, would be perfect locations for just such a stadium.

lets get landsdowne developed first, we can worry about a second stadium then.

In terms of moving the match (which i agree with), it depends on how the shels board view it. If they think they have a chance of beating depor they should keep it in tolka, if they are looking at as a payday they should move it to landsdowne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Fantastic result for Shelbourne, watched the match on RTÉ. I do think however that if Shel's are serious about trying to win this, then they'll hold the match at Tolka Park. I just hope that the payday that Shel's make out of those won't further the gap between them and the rest of the eL clubs.

Former Shels manager Dermot Keeley predicted before the game that if Shels get past Hadjuk Split they will Dominate Domestic Irish soccer for years to come, They now have 2 more champions league games (at least) , and if they lose they'll go into the Uefa cup draw (another 2 games at least) .. They should make a lot of money for the club from this little run ... Looking at the Shels squad at the moment , they have a bench that would on the most part make it into most of the other premier sides first teams. I think they will continue to improve , but I hope the rest of the league teams improve with them, nobody wants another scottish league with one of two teams winning every year ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Probably the greatest achievment of Irish Soccer since Italia 90. Great result and well done to Shels.

Was fantastic that they actually won the tie too, not the scraped away goals that many predicted.

Can't wait for the Deportivo match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Shels home leg vs Depor is being played at Lansdowne according to Today FM Sports News.

LANSDOWNE ROAD it is

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/latest_news/?affiliate=A001
    http://www.shelbournefc.ie/newsdesk.php

On sale on friday from 9am

Hope its a sell out ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

LizardKing wrote:
    LANSDOWNE ROAD it is

Hope its a sell out ...

Poor decision imho, Pat Fenlon wanted it at Tolka and he is really the man who should know best about this.

I can't see it selling out and feel Deportivo would be alot less happy about playing in tolka.....

IS IT Correct in saying if Shels lose to Depor then they do not get a UEFA Cup Spot
    Have had conflicting info. on this its quite messy as there is a new format UEFA this year. Heres a quote I was sent ..

"For the 2004-05 event, a new format will be introduced. The qualifying rounds remain intact. However, losers in the Champions
    League third qualifying round will no longer enter the UEFA Cup. After the first round proper, the 40 survivors will enter a
    group phase, with the clubs being drawn into eight groups of five each. Unlike the Champions League group phase, the UEFA Cup
    group phase will be played in a single round-robin format, with each club playing two home and two away games. The top three
    teams in each group will advance, where they will be joined by the eight third-place teams in the Champions League group phase.
    From this point, knockout play resumes through the final."

This means shels will most likely not get into UEFA .. Anyone confirm this ???

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I read in one of the papers today that they will play in the UEFA Cup if they lose to Deportivo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I hate to say it but fair play to shells they played far better and deserved the win. It could lead to shells runing away with the league for the next few years but eircom league team need big victorys like this to improve the image of the league so overall its a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

IS IT Correct in saying if Shels lose to Depor then they do not get a UEFA Cup Spot
    Have had conflicting info. on this its quite messy as there is a new format UEFA this year. Heres a quote I was sent ..

If Shels lose to Depor, they will qualify for the UEFA Cup. There will be a knock-out round (two legged) in that competition so that forty clubs qualify for the new group stages (8 groups of 5 teams) which starts on 21 October.

Below is a piece taken from Reuters to ease your mind:

The second legs of the second qualifying round ties will be played next Tuesday and Wednesday, while the third qualifying round ties take place on August 10 and 11 and August 24 and 25.

The winners of the 16 ties go into the competition proper, while the 16 losers drop into the Uefa Cup.

http://www.thisiscyberia.com/sports/default.asp?ID=3718504&Sports=1&subCatID=1&subCat=33&ccode=&euComp=1&Other=

• Advertisement

LizardKing wrote:
    LANSDOWNE ROAD it is

Hope its a sell out ...

Bloody Hell. It's 3:15pm on Friday and it's already sold out. Unless they put in the bucket seats and release more tickets, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Wow sold out already, I just hope they aren't walloped 7-0 or something in Spain first, it would really make the other game an anti-climax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Wow sold out already, I just hope they aren't walloped 7-0 or something in Spain first, it would really make the other game an anti-climax.

Aw sh-ee-it, I dont have a ticket yet.....

The first game is next wednesday, and it's the home leg Bill.

They have tickets in Tolka AFAIK , on sale tonight and tomorrow ( My Da's picking up ours tomorrow morning)

Buying there also saves on the TickeBasterd charges...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Bloody Hell. It's 3:15pm on Friday and it's already sold out.

Seriously ?? I cant belive they sold that many tickets :eek: :eek: You never know, they may well be an up set in Landsdowne Road :)

As a matter of interest ... Has anyone here bought tickets yet ??

LizardKing wrote:

Maybe I've got it wrong. I can't buy a ticket from ticketmaster on the web but it says that they will be available from TM outlets. SO maybe if you show up in person at a booth.....

..hope I'm not spreading disinformation here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

eirebhoy would you reckon tolka would be more intimidating than the nou camp?
    I actually would TBH. You aren't going to be going to the Nou Camp fearing for your own safety but that thought would probably cross your mind playing on a pitch so close to the people in a foreign country with so little security (compared to what they're used to). I would also be also be a lot more intimidated playing away in a packed Ringsend park than I would in Tolka. Plus Shels would feel a lot more at "home" in Tolka. That's just my opinion anway.

BTW, if your a fan of the Eircom league in general, the less finance for Shels the better. Do we really want another Rosenberg situation where they've wont the league before they've even kick a ball?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

BTW, if your a fan of the Eircom league in general, the less finance for Shels the better. Do we really want another Rosenberg situation where they've wont the league before they've even kick a ball?

Just a point about the development of the EL. The way any league develops is usually by 1 team taking things a step more serious/professional reaping the rewards and then pushing away from the rest of the league they are playing in. Then the rest of the league usually catches up and overpasses that team.

Just take Man Utd a few years back, they were a quantum leap ahead of the opposition but eventually the rest of the teams (who were playing UTD week in week out) got more professional and caught up with them. Similarly Arsenal seem to have done it last year. I think the same will apply for the E.L.

Since some of the teams in the EL have went pro, one of them (Shels) have jumped the final hurdle and reached the 3rd round. It should be pointed out that it could have been any team since all were so close in the 2nd round, it could have been Cork City or Bohs. It wasnt a case of one team dominating the league, having lots of cash (like Rosenberg ) and then doing well, Shels were pretty broke to start with but managed to go further with their existing set of players.

It should be easier now for the other E.L teams to follow the same formula and have a lot more belief that its possible to reach the third round and then do well in the UEFA cup.

LizardKing wrote:

My bro headed to Tolka at about 18.00 and got tickets, I think he was geting a good few, six or eight, and I've not heard from him yet, so I'm assuming he got them.

He's kinda in with the Briogáid Dearg crowd, and they were allocated one whole section in Landsdowne Rd by Shels, so there'll be one section of "singers" at least...The New Stand on tour!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>Just take Man Utd a few years back, they were a quantum leap ahead of the opposition but eventually the rest of the teams

United were never that far ahead of the rest, in fairness. The situation Shels are facing is completely different. The Setanta Cup might save the bacon of the teams who have taken the chance with full-time pro football, but for those that take the chance and don't qualify either for Europe or Setanta, well they are friar tucked. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

If Shels make the most of this finniacially and then win the Setanta Cup (€300,000 prize money plus gate recepits) then the rest of the League is Friar Tucked as Bateman put it .(and that has a very realistic chance of happening)

Shelbourne would dominate the league and Cups (giving them more money) and would also do prettey well in europe (I think anyway) giving them more money .

so much money= so easy to buy players from other Irish League sides , it would become a monopoly .

The fact that Shels could become so dominant, while maybe not good for the league in general, is exactly the situation that they wanted when they went fully professional.

They built a good side, capable of winning things, like the league, and therefore qualified for the CL early stages, this in turn attracts players of a better quality, such as Alan Moore, to come and play for the club ( the same happens in any League ).

Now that Shels have done deservedly well, it is no fluke that they have come so far, people are decrying it as bad for the game. It is hardly Shels fault that the prize money is so high, or that more people are wanting to attend the games.

I mean what should Shels do? Hand their money evenly around the other league clubs so they can stay competitive? Hand any prize money back to UEFA? Not use their money to further strengthen the squad?

Success breeds success. It is up to the other clubs to try and make sure Shels don't dominate.

LizardKing wrote:

Got mine on Saturday at a Ticketmaster booth in town. They said there was a lot of interest but there were still some tickets left. All the Lower Tier stand seats were gone (at least from that outlet) so we had to settle for the West Upper.

Bummer, eh. :-)

Does not look like there will be much away support at the game, bit of a disgrace , shels will have more away fans for the return leg ....

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/08/10/story160981.html

Advertisement