Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotpress.com : Are you a member?

Options
  • 28-07-2004 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

I think its 20euro for the year, I was considering joining up just wondering is it worth it? I don't like the whole political coverage etc. I would prefer just a pure music magazine so I rarely buy the the actual magazine but I though online might be good for news, gig reviews and pictures. What do you think of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

There are many thousand free music sites with review news etc use them dont pay money for hotpress. com even if its only half as bad as the mag it would still be woefull.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

www.nme.com/news

thats usually pretty good, but its english-based of course and its free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

www.nme.com/news

thats usually pretty good, but its english-based of course and its free.

it's also composed almost entirely of cut and pasted press-releases and the daily mandatory about pete doherty from the libertines going into or coming out of rehab....

free sites tend to be grand - only caveats would be

a) they depend on official outlets for their news - press releases etc
    b) they won't have in-depth articles, you'll need the fan sites for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Yes thanks guys I'm already aware of NME etc. just wondering about Hotpress.com, by the looks of things not many people on boards.ie are members!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I was a member last year, but didnt bother renewing it.Its better than most membership music sites but theres much more in the magazine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I was a member but it's not really worth it in my opinion. The cd's that they offer cheap to buy weren't my cup of tea or else sold out too quickly. The message board wasn't the May West and frankly, any of the news you want to read from it you can get in the shop by flicking through it (like in the local magazine library known as Tower Records)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm a member.

It was only €10 to join when they first started charging, and I've renewed once at €20. The CD offers are pretty good, but you need to check at least once a week to see what they have on offer in case its something popular.

I'll save a few quid off my next IFI renewal, and I saw a sign up in Tower saying they "accept" the card, though the site says nothing so I've yet to try that. I did save about €15 on a pair of combats and a top in Hobo before it closed down though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm a member too, for the second year. I don't think I'm getting as much from it as I should but that's probably my fault more than the site's. And due to the fact that I'm not in Dublin (but I'm not that far away).

I've bought a few CDs from them which were grand and promptly delivered, but most CDs thatI get, as soon as they come out, and hotpress.com might be a bit slower about making them available.

I like the messageboard though. There's only one board and anything goes. There are no moderators, no ***-ing of words, and you can say whatever you want. But I usually don't... :(;)

Oh yeah, the messageboard is fairly good for music/gig-related rumours, better than the official site. And lately people have realised that Hotpress have gotten some of their stories from messageboarders... :D

Advertisement