Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

User Accounts-Newbie Question

Options
  • 28-07-2004 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

hi all, i've xp pro and i was wondering if it's possible to deny access to files and certain defined programs within xp itself to limited accounts? As it stands my files and programs are accesable to limited account holders. Is it possible to do this using xp itself (i've tried using the security settings to do this, hasnt worked) or do i need to get another program to do it? thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Are you using an NTFS or FAT32 filesystem? Should be easy enough with NTFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭the1andonly1

Thats the problem, my system drive is NTFS but my main one with most of my files & programs is FAT32. any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Start > Run > cmd

convert x: /fs:ntfs

BUT beware:

1. You won't be able to see the drive in Windows 9x/Me if you're dual booting.

2. There ain't ever no going back, unless you get your hands on PartitionMagic.

I'd still say go for it if number one above doesn't apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

To prevent an application from running, click start->run.
    Type in gpedit.msc

in there browse to COmputer configuration->Windows settiongs->Security Settings->Software restrictions->Additional Rules
    Right click on that and select New Path rule...

Browse to your .exe and set it to Disallowed.

If you want to restrict users access to certail data files, you'll need to convert your drive to NTFS, and then deny the users that you don't want accessing the files access to them.

Advertisement