Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

600 points

Options
  • 28-07-2004 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

anyone here hoping for 600 points? anything less and im screwed,my parents will disown me,but im certain ive achieved it,l.cert went brilliantly and i got 7A1s in mocks so heres hoping!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

anything less and im screwed,my parents will disown me

Thats just not right. What has it got to do with them whether you get 600 points or not? Your the one that has to live with whatever you get. Parents like that drive me insane. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What sucky parents. Tell them that the 7A1s in your mocks proves you've been putting in the work and any ultimatums they give you about having to achieve 600 points in the Leaving Cert is only only to wrack your nerves and make you likely to mess up on the day.

The 600 points will be fairly useless to you anyway, even high points courses like Medicine etc. generally only need around 560 points. I won't go down the path of begrudgers who will tell you "blah blah blah, academic results are rubbish, it's life skills blah blah blah", because obviously you deserve to see high results as something to be proud of. What I will say is if you do mess up on the day, it doesn't matter because you'll probably still have the points you need and you can still be proud of the work you've put it all the other days. I came into 5th year English scraping Ds and clawed myself up to As coming up to Leaving Cert, but ****ed up on the day (6 hours is just too much) and came out with a C2 which doesn't matter because I got the points I needed, and I acquired the skills relating to the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

hmmm. do you need 600 points or is it just for your ego?. no offence but WHAT THE HELL are you worrying about if you got on that well in your mocks??!! obviously you are going to get on well. you say the l.c went brill so theres your answer.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Meh. As has been said, all anyone really needs is 560, 570 at most. I got 600 last year and (after a year out) I'm applying for a 480-point course. Points aren't everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

article6 wrote:
    Meh. As has been said, all anyone really needs is 560, 570 at most. I got 600 last year and (after a year out) I'm applying for a 480-point course. Points aren't everything.

^What course are you looking to get into?

560 is normally grand unless you're looking for scholarships, but you'll probably need the maximum for medicine in the College of Surgeons....?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

well i just got accepted into trinity so i couldnt give 2 thoughts on what point's i get

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Care to expand on that? Congrats btw.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

id just go mad to be honest ill be happy with 400+ and my parents can shut and my smart ass good for nothin brother with his high achievments leaving me in the shadow of his glory.

i applyed for one of the direct application course's in trinity,

(deaf studies and irish sign language)

and tehy sent me a letter today telling me that i was accepted for it, starting in october

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

thats honestly deadly . i never think outside the "box"

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote:
    thats honestly deadly . i never think outside the "box"

few people do... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Think not of how many points you can get, but what you hope to do.

Basiclly; don't do a course just because you can. Do a course that you will like, or have an intrest for. Otherwise, in about 3 years, you'll end up quitting your high points course, to go to the course which you liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

It is rents like that that lead to those suicides you read about. Who would put that much pressure on their child? It is just one exam in life and there are a lot harder ones to pass that do not involve points at all.
    It is sickening sometimes. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

article6 wrote:

Hey buddy, after your year out which college/school did you return to? Was it any good? Any contact details?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Points aren't everything, but they're a hell of a lot.
    It's also easy to say they don't matter when you get a ridiculous amount of them. Believe me, when you don't get a lot of them, it sucks ASS.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Congrats agent smith, that's deadly. The more I think about it the more that course appeals to me. Too late now I guess.

Points aren't everything. The leaving cert isn't everything. BUT they do matter to some people. I couldn't hack having pressure from my parents. It's not like school doesn't put enough on you. Nevermind how you pressure yourself like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

sorteddude wrote:
    anyone here hoping for 600 points? anything less and im screwed,my parents will disown me,but im certain ive achieved it,l.cert went brilliantly and i got 7A1s in mocks so heres hoping!

If I ever got my hands on the person who set up and initiated the current point system and spawned this sort of thinking, I'd ensure a slow and painful death.

Points mean nothing. I've seen high point scorers drop out of courses like flies in college.

Just do your best and be happy with what you get when you know you've done it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

sorteddude wrote:

Sure, I'm hoping. Much in the same way that I'm hoping to live forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I hoped for 500 and got 580. this was 8 years ago, when no one in my school ahd ever gotten over 520. Best day of my life, I was walking on cloud nine. But even then, it didn't really matter, because I knew I'd gotten my college course, and that was all that really mattered.

My father joked that day, "So where are the other 20?". Then he said that if college didn't work out, there was always a job for me in his garage. I could see that he meant it, and that mattered much more to me than the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i'm hoping for a hundred. i know i got way more than that but still - even if i do crap relatively at least then i'll feel good :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

Re that guy whose parents threatened to disown him if he didn't get 600 points, i would disown my parents if they even dared put that kinda presure on me! I swear to god i would move out. The leaving cert is pressure enough without your parents making it worse! They should support you no matter what. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭HerrLipp

I think "my parents will disown me" was exaggerating. Although having that kind of pressure still sucks. I would have liked to have moved out during my Leaving Cert, though I don't think I was ready for the financial pressures of living on my own whilst studying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

i am hoping to get just under 200 points. I did alot of study, but i didn't do many honours subjects. I think it is very unfair in the difference between the points in honours and pass :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Different people are capable of achieving different points.
    Someone maybe very inteligent but not be able to work under the pressure someone else might be able to remember everything,others the pressure would have no effect on.

Though what I would say is if ur good at something do not do pass for all Irish Universities and for direct entry in to 4 year degrees in It's you need 2 honours once you have these ur fine.

And sure if u don't theres loads of plc courses out there and other courses with low points in It's:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

sorteddude wrote:

Are you taunting us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Bullockshaver

thats good sheet Dudara.Ill be seeing u in Physics department nxt year

Advertisement