Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Disconnections

• 28-07-2004 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭

They're driving me insane - They've happened on the hour, every hour for 3 hours now.

They've been happening every day for a week now.

I'm pissed off

And of course, tech support is closed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

zoro is yours happening under heavy traffic ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

i actually get cut off a second when making a call or receiving one.havent a clue about your problem Zoro i have IOL too and not getting cut off like you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

not quite sure why its happening ... but others on my exchange aren't having the same problem so it's probably my router acting the b*llox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Happens to me occasionaly, normally within the fisrt hour of going online..

CrimsonGhost was having some problems alright with frequent disconenctions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭muffinhead

i'm getting the same - they're a pain in the arse! luckily i'm not paying for the sh*t service, i'm still on my 3 month trial!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I only got disconnected once... Service is brilliant so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

got iol BB today and the same thing is happening. i think its the Modem cause it wouldnt work for 20 minutes today, i had to keep messing around for the machine to recognise it. Also the USB LED keeps flashing quickly, that happening to anyone else? i would have thought it would be constant

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

mad m wrote:
    i actually get cut off a second when making a call or receiving one.havent a clue about your problem Zoro i have IOL too and not getting cut off like you

If you're saying that your DSL link drops as soon as there is voice traffic on your line, it would suggest that the DSL Filters have not been installed correctly.

rash wrote:
    If you're saying that your DSL link drops as soon as there is voice traffic on your line, it would suggest that the DSL Filters have not been installed correctly.
    I've actually thought of that before ... and tested it - it's not related :(

My connection seems to reset every now and again. for example. i set MSN Messenger to show me as "Away" but if i come back an hour or so later its back to "Available"
    Anyone know anything about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Well the first option might be to stop using the Zyxel modem IOL provide, its cack! If you have any form of ethernet option available go for it, it should aslo make monitoring your connection easier.

You mustn't have read the thread i started ages ago about me getting a free ethernet modem from them then eh? :)

Zoro, Gimme the Jist of it, or link me will you?

basic jist ... i didnt like using a crappy usb modem, so i created hell for iol until i got an ethernet one. i eventually got on to a really really nice girl that was very helpful and was actually nice on the phone. in the end she got me an ethernet modem.

and now, by some HUGE coincidence, when I rang them up I was put straight on to her by the automated system! :D she's looking at getting me a replacement now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hellraiser

The normal router you get with IOL is both usb and ethernet compatible.
    Well the 1 i got nayways.

I also have these poxy connection interupted crap happening aswell.

I have tried both with usb and ethernet to see which is best, also tried using the 2 at the same time and still get this problem, pain in the arse if you ask me.

I am really thinking hard about getting rib of IOL, but doesnt seem to be any really good BB providers out there at the mo.

The original modems were USB only ... but I fought hard for an ethernet capable one and won one.

I'm holding out for NTL to be honest - as soon as that appears in Dublin 5 (*looks at watch* ;)) I'll jumping onto the most reliable broadband service in the country.

the one i have is Ethernet too, i tried both but it seems to be the same. im off to the states for 2 weeks on monday so when i get back ill be onto Esat big time. if they cant resolve this issue then they can **** off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Nah, hadn't read your erlier thread Zoro! :) Was just going by what was said in this thread, and there was mention of usb lights and stuff (admittedly not by yourself), I'll get my coat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hellraiser

I'll be the same on the oul NTL front, hopefully i'll be able to get the 1.5 mb line and then no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I got iol a few days ago. I also get disconnected alot. Its so annoying especiall playing games when ur about to complete a mission and...BAM!! lost connection. When i plug in my ethernet the light on my ZyXEL modem,wer the BB is, is orange but if i use the usb connection the light above that s green. so i use usb. it helped a little but im still gettin disconnected!! :o

• Advertisement

I got iol a few days ago. I also get disconnected alot. Its so annoying especiall playing games when ur about to complete a mission and...BAM!! lost connection. When i plug in my ethernet the light on my ZyXEL modem,wer the BB is, is orange but if i use the usb connection the light above that s green. so i use usb. it helped a little but im still gettin disconnected!!

does anyone know wat the problem might be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Micheal Wittman

Well I have never been disconected. I've been going strong since Aug 29th 2003. I'm hooked up at the Blanchardstown Centre exchange.

someone would pick up the phone to answer it and i wud be disconnected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You got your micro filters installed right?

*kicks phone*
    god DAMN eircom and they're bloody machine talking to me to find out my problems then finally to get through to a representative after a monumental struggle with a glorified answering machine that could impress world war II veterans.

When I do get through to the usual Eircom Biddy (TM) on the phone, I happened to mention the one word that they must quake in their boots about ..... yes, I said the 'B' word .... Broadband
    No more than 30 seconds after mentioning it, and I'm given a 1550 (yes, that's premium rate folks) number to ring and I'm hungeded up on!

Background to this ... I was talking to Esat and they said that having spoken to Eircom about my line, they were told by the technicians that it was a Cabling Fault. And that if I rang 1901, one of the helpful beauties there could point me in the right direction for getting a technician to talk to about it.

Yeah - suuurrrreee

Another update ...

rang again - another long wait, but i get through to a guy in his early
    20's, he does a line test and everything comes back ok, but he's logging
    a call for a technician to ring me asap.

*sigh* ****ing biddies :)
    We'll see how I get on though ...

i have micro filters installed but only on one connection in the house. do i need them installed on all 5 connections in my home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

i have micro filters installed but only on one connection in the house. do i need them installed on all 5 connections in my home?

Yeah, whatever sockets you use you need micro filters on them, had a problem in friends house, dsl wouldn't connect etc. Then we put microfilters on all the phones and it works.

In short, If your connection is flaky yes. If everything seems to work, don't touch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Situation at my place is 1 phone connection. No phone, only DSL plugged in. Some times I'll get kicked every 10-15minutes. Last night I connected, went down to watch starsky and hutch, came back up and it was still working. But dropped me within 3 minutes. It is really annoying. Esp as I have to restart the router to get back online. Also it happens with different computers using the line, either together, or singly. It's really starting to piss me off, if it continues I'll switch the to eircom 3 month trial when the iol on runs out.

Advertisement