Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Disconnections

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

if it continues I'll switch the to eircom 3 month trial when the iol on runs out.
    Eircom don't have a 3 month trial - they are offering the first 2 and a bit months of your 12 month contract for free. Even if they did have a 3 month trial, the trails are only available on lines that have never been connected to DSL before.

Anyway, as it sounds like you problems are due to the line, then it's extremely unlikely that switching to eircom would change matters much (unless you've got a dodgy modem, in which case you could save yourself some grief by asking someone else to bring their modem over to you place to try it out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Well, this just in, I'm getting a brand new ethernet modem from Esat... lets hope it works better, as I've just been informed that I have zero net connectivity at home right now and it's been like that for a while now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i got mine yesterday, got cut off twice. once when someone answered the phone and the other for no reason.

doesnt bother me though, just reconnect or restart and im back again. the sheer speed makes up for it. it does me. anyway, i used to get cut off on dialup too!

smemon wrote:
    i got mine yesterday, got cut off twice. once when someone answered the phone and the other for no reason.
    Get your filters installed. That "no reason" might well have been someone trying to call you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I'm on IOL's free trial I'm about 1.5 to 2 months through and I've never had a problem with getting kicked off, and I've been working this like a horse. I also am able to get pretty good constant downloads. It's always been at around 52 kb/sec. And I've been able to maintain that for hours at a time. I'm connect throught the ethernet, as when I was signing up, then person I was talking to failed to mention operating system, so being a penguinista means USB isn't an option. That'd be my only complaint with IOL, other than that it's been great.

• Advertisement

Syth wrote:
    I'm connect throught the ethernet, as when I was signing up, then person I was talking to failed to mention operating system, so being a penguinista means USB isn't an option. That'd be my only complaint with IOL, other than that it's been great.
    As IOL supply a modem that has both ethernet and USB ports, what difference does it make what OS you're running?

Brand spanking new Eth/USB modem arrived today. Same one as I already had, but lets hope that this one is ok :)
    Got a funky webcam too! :) Who said complaining doesn't get you anything? :D

Well that's _not_ the cause of my disconnections. I don't always get a new ip when it happens anyway.

And I've just had 2 more disconnections about 20 mins ago .... looks like my line is sick :(

Advertisement