Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Impressions...

Options
  • 15-06-1999 2:37am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Played Tribes for the first time last Friday in that LAN place in Galway and while myself, Cloud and Kayos got kicked around the shop in a CTF game against some of that places regulars, I must say, I thorughly enjoyed it smile.gif
    Results being, I'll hopefully have a copy of Tribes tomorrow smile.gif

So, tell me, what do I need to download (updates etc) and what's a good time to hop on to the server and NOT get kicked around the place by regulars? wink.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

what LAN place in galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The patch is tiny, not like Q2 at all. smile.gif

It's when you start wanting extras.

Btw configs are nowt like Q1/Q2. Actually need some balls to write them. smile.gif (unless your a girl of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

Welcome to the Fray!

Check out
    www.planet-tribes.com/tactics/101index.html

lots of good info.

Also check out Hecate's Sunscreen/Tribes 99 thingy - good advice there biggrin.gif (it's on this board under hohohoh)

Note : you will have matches where you will get frustrated and want to KILL EVERYONE cos they're such muppets

In the early days I came very very near to quitting cos I was just sick of unbalanced games - which can make for a very unenjoyable experience. In deathmatch games (q1,q2, etc) it's all up to you - but one of the best things about tribes is the team play. But if you dont have a 'team' it can make things unpleasant. When it's two good teams vs. each other, it's fuppin amazing biggrin.gif

As far as a good time hopping on - for the most part even if you do hop on with a bunch of so-called 'experienced' players, it's likely you wont get banged around too much. Just make sure your inventory favourites are pre-set before logging on and then get in there. Starting off as a lite with repair pack & hanging around your base will make you popular with your teammates (you'll still see plenty of action unless your opponents are useless) - or alternatively just go on the offense & watch what other ppl do.

cya on the servers!

ck

[This message has been edited by ChungKing (edited 15-06-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Brit

Tribes is currently at version 1.5

I thought you'd like to know smile.gif

Oh:

www.planet-tribes.com
    www.tribesplayers.co.uk
    www.tribesplayers.co.uk/vaggalan

--Brit--

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

We got kicked around the place because they were running some mod we knew nothing about tongue.gif Portable shields, shotguns, etc., can't remember the name...

It was fun though.

Acous: LANFest/Flight Sim place beside Terryland.

J.
    --

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭SS 02 Coyote

Welcome to the fun sport!

Public servers can be a nightmare, but stick with it. Its worth it. If you get youself into a crap game - get out and try a different server.

When you see nicknames preceeded by tags like [SS-xx], [EM] etc. you know that tribe members are playing in public land - and if they are any way decent they will help you out and deal with any issues you may have.

Then again - not everyone is as nice as you'd expect. So - you get the good and the bad.

See you on the servers.

Regards,

[SS-02]Coyote
    "Abandon All Hope!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

g'man dav smile.gif

u dont actually need any of the patches to play on servers (afaik)

also youd be glad to know that ye dont need to d/l maps, mods or any other crap like that...they d/l automatically when you connect to a server and the file sizes are tiny (bout 30-40k)

so get on and play some tribes now young man! smile.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You guys!!!

You make me feel all warm and cozy inside cause you're all so nice to the newbie tongue.gif

Anyway, I was about to say I'm downloading the patch, but it's finished!!! I love it already (feic off Q2 with yer 13meg updates!!!).

Typically, I don't have Tribes tonight bacause this Zip Drive is being bold. Tomorrow hopefully!!!

Untill then...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

heheh - beware those who approach you with warm smiles and open hearts, for they do mean harm

I swear I could hear vagga sharpening his spinfusor on IRC last night going freeeesh meeeatt....drool

biggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Qui Gon

I think we should all help the newbies.
    I mean i was playing tribes before teeth and chungking (gulp). And decided to myself , aaahhh might aswell help. Showing them little tricks and traps.

In fact the first game i played with CK was one of the best games i had ever played. We actually had proper teamwork on a public server.

Anyway welcome to the real world(sad).

WATCH OUT FOR MY MINES

Qui-Gon
    Jedi Council
    "Be one with the force"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Just started playing it again the last few nights, bit of a pain in the ar5e hangin around like a spare tit not knowing what to do. But I do like it, the only problem I have with it is that you can't join for 20 mins for a quick game cos u get so involved in it, u look at yr watch and see you've been playin for 2 hours.

Anyone point me in the direction of some good tactics pages?

bstep@tinet.ie
    news.quake.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

here ya go:

http://www.planet-tribes.com/tactics/101index.html

v. extensive but has some good tips, read the skiing and turret ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

if its a "dodgy" (ya know what i mean smile.gif copy - you've got a long download ahead of ya, the normal update doesnt work, so ya have to get the full update (10 or 12 meg i think). Once you've got it updated, get ure *****to http://www.planetstarsiege.com/presto/ and get the presto pack, CMDhud, objectivehud (plus the mission pack), etc. DONT FORGET TO GET mHUD smile.gif. Then find ureself writers scripts www.planetstarsiege.com/lorne (i think).

BTW, look around and find timehud - if ya dont ure gonna find ureself quiting tribes alot and finding out its 3am smile.gif.

I think thats it, but make sure u check out the www.planet-tribes.com tactics guide. Dont bother with www.planettribes.com or www.planetstarsiege.com - they're both ****E.

ps: Dont *****around with the laser rifle - it's fun for a while but its practically useless (cept for taking out all those rmts on dangerous crossings smile.gif.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

Dar the dodgy update is more..bout 15/20 megs i think
    but hey Dav, at least its only one not like Q2 tongue.gif

and its worth it this time > smile.gif

/me realises his exams are over and hes free fultime again...hmmm TRIBES!!!! TEEETHY IM HOOMEEEEE!!!!!

hehe i remember that match, qc smile.gif

for you new guys - just note it takes a while to get into and that you can have superb games and really really ****e frustrating games where a team of bozos who know their stuff absolutely thrash a team of new or unorganised opponents. This happens more often than you'd think.

I think all of us more experienced players have been guilty of this - but some are worse than others. If you find that happening you can either try to pull your team together or find another server. I'd recommend the latter - go play on another server & if you return to the original one after a while, usually the game has balanced out a bit cos the bozo team realises they have no opponents.

also make sure you try c&h maps as well as ctf maps. CTF is usually pure tribes strategy - most ctf maps being the longest, most difficult to win if both teams are balanced. ctf rocks in tribes, but for most maps this very much relies on the quality of both teams.

c&h, on the other hand, is a nice relief - bit faster, bit more forgiving to the unorganised tribe & often a bit more fun for the 'lone-wolf'. anyways, both types are excellent.

- learn the voice menu. talk to yer team. at the bare minimum let them know whether you are going offense or defense

- set yer inventory favourites & make sure all of them have grenades and mines kitted out.

- learn how to use grenades - in combination with mines & plasma they take out a shielded heavy veerry quickly.

- always let your sniper rifle recharge before firing a second time (I agree with dar that it's only useful in rare circumstances - but if you are a superb shot (which i am not) they are excellent for taking out scouts en-route to your base.

- if you do snipe, don't bother sniping full health heavies. you're just wasting time when you could be helping your team doing other stuff. If the heavy is shielded then you'll be there all day trying to kill him.

- wear sunscreen smile.gif

It's the full version I've got - just zipped up into little bite sized chunks smile.gif

Thanks for all the info guys - You'll most likely find me on the servers this weekend sometime. Should be fun...

By the way, if anyone's interested, myself and some mates of mine will be in Galway on Tuesday next in that LAN place for a bit of a laff (and a severe kicking around the games by anyone who's played the game before). There'll be 5 or 6 of us, so that leaves 2 - 3 places to spare if memory serves. Post on here if you're interested and we'll be able to secure a better deal hopefully wink.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Alrighty then Kharn. Whats ye playing this time Tribes/TFC/Quake? I might be on for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

dav lad
    i might be around
    ill cya on irc or somethin laddy smile.gif

luv ya

Seppy

damnit why does my spliff keep going out :/

The craic is...

Tuesday at 11ish (am) I believe. Problem is - I've just started a new job and I've also got a Manic Street Preachers Ticket (concert's on Wednesday) so I can't ask for 2 day's off in a row...

Bugger

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Thats me out I've work sad.gif can't really take a day off had 2 off last week so cann't ask for more. Hows about we get one for some evening soon?

• Advertisement
Advertisement