Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alot of moaning and groaning!

• 28-07-2004 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

Ok, I know alot of us on boards use pc's alot but why is their so many people giving out about broadband caps, I think their a bit annoying but not massively and i'm just curious as to why so many of you's are constantly bitching about 8gb limits.

well that's my 2 cents!

Fill in the poll so i can see where you lot all stand on the issues!

Broadband download caps, where do you stand? 92 votes

ERRR.. I can't live with caps! (I need to download many more episodes of startrek caus i'm too cheap to buy ther box sets)
    0% 0 votes
    A higher cap would be nice (I run a business from my room)
    39% 36 votes
    The cap is ok higher would be nice but I can live with it
    14% 13 votes
    Broadband caps are the best things since sliced bread!
    46% 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

an 8/16 gig cap really sucks balls when you have 4 people sharing a connection :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Aye. Same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

No cap for me :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I haven't even a clue how much of my cap I use as digiweb don't have a counter but when I had a demo a counter application installed I did about 1gb in a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

an 8/16 gig cap really sucks balls when you have 4 people sharing a connection :/

Jeez, surely if you have 4 people sharing a connection, each of you is only paying a quarter of the bill - €10/month........

I'm on Eircom 4Gb €40 a month & have no complaints. Sure I'd love 8Gb or 16GB or unlimited.....but personally, I'd run out of things to download !! - AND I administer two largeish websites.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I control my downloading habits to suit my cap .... I'd rather not have a cap but it isnt all that restrictive .....then again its mostly just me using it ... and I havent been downloading much ....just playing games with bittorrent running in the background

Jeez, surely if you have 4 people sharing a connection, each of you is only paying a quarter of the bill - €10/month........

It's a family situation. As in one person pays the bill, the other 3 leach off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Lol - Stark.....stop it out of their Pocket Money :D

See your point though.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Broadband installed July 19, downloaded so far 6.81GB Downloaded today 2.59GB
    I could use up 8GB in 3 days:(
    I will have to leave the bandwith hogging until the end of each month lest I forget and end up with a massive bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'm "happy" with my 16GB cap - I'd prefer a speed upgrade before a cap one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Anything over 16gb in a month is pretty much warez monkey territory.

The cap as it is is fine, they're there for good reason.

I'd much prefer a 1meg connection to a higher cap :).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the 8 gig cap is definitely a bit tight especially considering its an extra €15 per month for those extra 4 gigs. Ive a feeling tho that the 8 gig cap will get pushed upwards within the next 3 months hopefully.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Faster speeds would be nice but at the moment a 1mb dsl connection with a mere 8gb or 16gb cap is overkill imo, if we are ever upgraded to 1mb I think the cap for that speed should be around 30gigs+ to balance the connection out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Anything over 16gb in a month is pretty much warez monkey territory.
    Please stop saying things like this, it's silly.

Just because you (plural) have no legal need for a higher cap, doesn't mean everyone else can live with it.

Exactly. Have you seen the size of Linux distributions these days? Even the updates for the things can come to 300MB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

PiE wrote:
    Please stop saying things like this, it's silly.
    It's a lot less silly that the constant moaning about caps, when the vast majority of broadband users don't have any problem with caps. (2%, according to UTV, exceed the cap).
    PiE wrote:
    Just because you (plural) have no legal need for a higher cap, doesn't mean everyone else can live with it.
    Just because you (plural) won't pay for a connection big enough for your needs, doesn't mean everyone else should have to listen to constant whinging about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I actually think we are lucky in comparison to some of our English friends.

Example, Wanadoo, Englands most popular BB ISP has a service £20 for 512/128 with only a 2GB cap!

Going by the first 6hours I had BB, I'd be gone over that by now!

yeah but for about £10 extra they can get 1mb with 30gig cap or even better move to a capless isp for relatively similar money. Here home users are stuck with the caps, theres no option for those who want to download more or get sommet faster than 512k. The uncapped business offerings here are adsl and quite often not available to residential users depending on line quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hellraiser

I have 16 gb up and down from IOL and i dont even do that much downloading, so it doesnt really bother me that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

If the cap on a particular product is increased it will only be a matter of time before somebody is complaining again about the poor cap limit. People were complaining when IOL only offered the 8GB limit, when this was increased to 16GB, complaints appeared again about the 16GB offering.

Purchase the appropriate product based on your need, if you want more pay more (assuming the particular service is available in your area). As time progresses caps will be revised upwards as Joe Soap realises what can be done with a connection, but until then we'll have to survive with what we have or pay for what we want.

When IOL switched me to the 16GB limit I switched back down to 8GB, simply because I wouldnt use the higher cap and I didn't want to pay more, those were my needs. I personally would prefer higher data transfer rates than an increase in my cap.

• Advertisement

Oh right. Well hang on everybody, shut up and don't bother requesting a bit more from your overpriced DSL. Take what you're given and you damn well better be happy about it because people like Ripwave are. Be safe in the knowledge that of course the big cuddly ISP's here only have your best interests at heart by giving you crappy download caps that would be (and are) laughed at in neighboring countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

I haven't yet come close to my 16GB cap, and I don't expect. For all practical purposes, I can effectively download as much as I want of the stuff I want, so I never give it a second thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,205 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You just arent getting it.

The cap is not a problem for most people. I mean honestly, what are you downloading that you need more than 16GB every month??

If you you legitimately need more than this then pay for the upgrade.

oh, and posting facetious messages dont help your case at all. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

June 2004 799:43:15 378 MB 7500 MB
    91%

July 2004 190:08:51 827 MB 6319 MB
    77%

The cap is only starting to become an problem now as the rallycross season starts back up so we are doing alot of heavy matirial and graphical design work for customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

PiE wrote:
    Oh right. Well hang on everybody, shut up and don't bother requesting a bit more from your overpriced DSL. Take what you're given and you damn well better be happy about it because people like Ripwave are. Be safe in the knowledge that of course the big cuddly ISP's here only have your best interests at heart by giving you crappy download caps that would be (and are) laughed at in neighboring countries.
    Well, they're not totally overpriced anymore. Broadband in Ireland is in the affordable zone. As someone said earlier, for £20 in the UK, you get a 512 connection with a 2Gb cap. Here in Ireland for €40 (STG£25.80) you get the same connection with 4 times the cap. Or you could pay €8 (£5.30) more and get twice the cap again (Going by IOL's prices here). In Ireland, where everything is slightly overpriced, at least we're getting more out of products for paying a little more for them.

I can see in a few years many customers will be won and lost on the download limit, as higher speed connections become commonplace and the speed of a connection takes second place to cost and download limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I have had IOL Broadband and I have downloaded less than the 16 Gigs a month I'm allowed in an 8 month period. I think the cap is sufficient for the majority of people who use broadband.

If you need to download more, you are not capped at 16 GB, 8 GB or whatever. You can keep downloading, you just have to pay for it.

I have to concur with whoever said earlier that the speed needs a good boost before caps need a revision. 1 Megabit DSL should be available at the price we are paying for 512k.

Serb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

I'd be happy with a cap of about 10gig/month and paying for any excess if the charges were in any way realistic. Bandwidth retails at less than a euro a gig to ordinary people, telcos could get far better rates. If they based their prices on what it actually costs them and even added a 100% markup to bring it up to say €1/gig or €1.50/gig, I'd be happy to use as much as I wanted and pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

I actually think we are lucky in comparison to some of our English friends.

Example, Wanadoo, Englands most popular BB ISP has a service £20 for 512/128 with only a 2GB cap!

Going by the first 6hours I had BB, I'd be gone over that by now!

Rubbish! How many ADSL ISPs are there in the UK? Just over 100. How many actually use caps? Four or five. And they are only used on newbie-user bargain basement packages, not on regular 512/256 packages. Look on http://adslguide.org.uk and check the facts.

seamus wrote:
    Well, they're not totally overpriced anymore...
    Yes, yes fine. We're getting there on the prices. But the difference in the UK is (as you know), if you do want/need a bigger download cap there are dozens of companies aching to give it to you. I saw an advert for NTL UK there the other day, they're giving away a free XBOX with every new connection. I'd give THEM a bloody XBOX if they'd offer me cable.

While I'd prefer the caps to be more like the UK model (where they "reserve the right" to disconnect you if you download a stupid amount), it's not gonna happen here in the forseeable future. In that respect I fully agree with what Moriarty posted about the bandwidth charges.
    oh, and posting facetious messages dont help your case at all.
    It's not "my" case at all; it affects everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Congratulations fidel, you don't know what you're talking about. Have a gold star.

Advertisement