Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Money Game - is the league spirit in danger

• 28-07-2004 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭

Now the first thing I'd say is Good luck to Chelsea - as a Gunners supporter, I wish we had access to the funds that they do & I honestly wish them all the best....

But this doesn't sit easily......sure there's been talk of a break away premiership elite, talk of Celtic joining the Prem.....but with the 'new' money coming into Chelsea, are we in danger of killing the spirit of the game once & for all ??

In the pre-pemiership days, clubs struggled up and down the league, Swansea came from 3rd division to 1st division and straight back down to 3rd in as many seasons - Leyton Orient reached first division, spent many a happy year in Second division with mighty battles against West Ham, before falling on hard times & now spending their lives fighting league survival......but what now.

What chance do the likes of Swansea, Orient or any of the non Prem 1st division clubs really stand with the type of money now coming into the game

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>What chance do the likes of Swansea, Orient or any of the non Prem 1st division clubs really stand with the type of money now coming into the game

They don't "stand a chance" of rising above their station, if that's what you mean. And they probably don't want to. But it's always been that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

No matter how much money you throw at a squad other factors are more decisive, Like good management and team spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

They don't "stand a chance" of rising above their station, if that's what you mean. And they probably don't want to. But it's always been that way.

I disagree Bateman, Orient were top division with the likes of Laurie Cunningham playing for them....lack of money has decided their fate & much as they would love to be top flight, the influx of new money will surely put paid to that.

Angel - I pray that you're right here...Real didn't have a great seaon last year, but if Chelsea 'click'..what chance to the rest of the prem stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Anyone notice yet that every player bought by Chelsea this year has been signed on 3 year contract.....just though it was strange when you are spending over the top money on players that are young enough that you would put them on long term contract!! Utd always use 4-5 year contracts

I think the way the authorities are closing in on the Russian Billionaires recently is probably excuse enough for Abramovich to get as much of his cash out of Russia as he can.

Would'nt suprise me to see him liquidate a few of the younger players in a couple of years time at a decent profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I miss the talk of the European Super League.

I would absolutely love to see a champions league that was actually a league, like the top 3 premiership teams, top 3 serie a teams etc, every year with it going up and down.
    That would be the bomb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

PHB wrote:

I would absolutely love to see a champions league that was actually a league, like the top 3 premiership teams, top 3 serie a teams etc, every year with it going up and down.
    That would be the bomb

That would finniacialy destroy lots of football leagues .

although the idea of having the top teams from Scotland , Holand , Belgium , Denmark and a few other countries looks like it may happen .(and unlike this European Super League , it has UEFA's backing ) .

Andip, Orient, and both the Sheffield teams have dramatically fallen from grace, but then the likes of Fulham, Birmingham, Charlton have all concreted Permiership status after years in lower divisions. But for the most part, the make-up of the divisions doesn't really change that dramatically, before or after the Sky money around the early nineties, which could be seen as the beginning of the end.

Yeah - I'd agree with you on that one Bateman - I guess having seen that, I don't really want the influx of new money such as Chelsea driving the nail in even further.

Perhaps the reality is that the league can't sustain the number of teams in it these days & we'll see clubs in lower divisions combining forces...its a shame to see tradition disappear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

PHB wrote:

That would be the bomb

That would be the end of football as we know it, would be the worst thing to happen. Every team should play in its own domestic league and should stay that way, Celtic should never be allowed into the PL. And luckily it wont happen as PL doesnt need Celtic in any way and i cant see any team voting for it as it puts their own future in jeopardy.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Yeah, a European super league would be the end of football as we know it. I don't want to have to go to Moscow, Kiev, and Haifa every second week, the amount of pointles Champions League games a few years back was bad enough, thank God UEFA are rowing back from any talk of a European Super League.

Enough Euro games as it is....after all, the only reason Arsenal didn't win EVERYTHING is because of the amount of Euro Games....:)) - I'm a Gunners man btw...

Seriously, Celtic & Rangers must be desperate for competition, but pull them out o fthe SPL & you speel end of SPL & end of some div 1,2,3 clubs.

Advertisement