Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I Robot

• 28-07-2004 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

Just saw I Robot, thought it was going to be a load of tosh, but found it quite enjoyable....it won't win any awards for acting but was a good action flick none the less, had a fairly good underlying story/ message to it...& the action was fairly cool!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just saw I Robot, thought it was going to be a load of tosh, but found it quite enjoyable....it won't win any awards for acting but was a good action flick none the less, had a fairly good underlying story/ message to it...& the action was fairly cool!

yeah saw it myself and was evry impressed. Pretty much being nothing what I expected it to be.. The expressions on the main robot were amazing at some points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Aye, the main robot Sonny was done very well, similarly to how Gollum was done.
    Actor Alan Tudyk was there acting out all the scenes and not just providing the voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I was impressed and slightly shocked in equal measures -

Mainly, impressed by the movie, yet shocked that many have been telling me this movie is one to avoid.

4/5 I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The trailers made is look for poor in my opinion..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

NoelRock wrote:
    I was impressed and slightly shocked in equal measures -

Mainly, impressed by the movie, yet shocked that many have been telling me this movie is one to avoid.

4/5 I'd say.

Anayone who said avoide didnt watch it I reckon. Great movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

out of interest how well does it relate to Asimovs original story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

it doesnt...

one of the main reasons for the hatred of this film is that apart from a few character names, the three rules and the title the film has no resemblance to the book. Its originally was called Hardwire but was changed to I Robot for marketing appeal...which in a sense is backfiring since fans of asimov are p*ssed off at the misuse of the title (see earlier post by me about I Robot for links)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

just curious...does the fact that you had little aspirations towards the film make it more enjoyable for you?

cause i went to see van hellsing with 0 expectations because everyone here slated it but i enjoyed the film enough to not B9tch online about it. At the different end of the spectrum i went into the day after tomarrow with more hope and i now feel its the worse film this year. Similary i went in with high hopes for harry potter 3 and while i didnt think it was crap i was still disapointed...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

the ads have made it look very, very bad, alright...

Aint seen it yet, so i dont know if thats fair or not, but I wouldnt expect much if i did go...
    Also, the graphics in the ad of the main robot dont look great.... maybe I'm missing something...

flogen

flogen wrote:
    the ads have made it look very, very bad, alright...

Aint seen it yet, so i dont know if thats fair or not, but I wouldnt expect much if i did go...
    Also, the graphics in the ad of the main robot dont look great.... maybe I'm missing something...

flogen

Dont go by the trailers its a good flick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

I haven't seen it but when i first saw the trailer, it instantly reminded me of the Animatrix, The second renaiassance part one and two, is there any similarities in the story.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I'm going to see it now, but I get an advanced screening because I work in a cinema, thought everyone else had to wait thil Thurs. Unless you guys work in cinemas too?

I haven't seen it but when i first saw the trailer, it instantly reminded me of the Animatrix, The second renaiassance part one and two, is there any similarities in the story.

Have a look at my review in the review board (not typing it all again) short answer is yes.
    Jesjes wrote:
    I'm going to see it now, but I get an advanced screening because I work in a cinema, thought everyone else had to wait thil Thurs. Unless you guys work in cinemas too?

We are just special.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

& before anyone thinks it...I'm not a warez monkey!!! saw it in the states last week....I could hear those cogs working away in those heads of yours :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Saw it last night in the Savoy.

It was enjoyable enough, but by no means deserving of anything above an "average" mark.

The action quickly alternated between "frenetic" and "confusing" (once veering into "ridiculous" (motorbike)), with swooping camera angles throwing the entire audience off-balance. The one-liners were dumb, but it's a Will Smith movie, and you're a moron if you weren't expecting this. Regarding the story - the twist was almost insulting, and I spent most of the thing wondering how Will Smith ever became a detective, since he almost constantly relied on other people to say something to give him a clue.

But, there were some good parts. The action was paced really nicely, and the robots did look quite good. And one-liners aside, it's always nice to see Will Smith cracking wise and giving people cheek.

I wouldn't rush out to see it, but it's worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Personally I thought that it was a bit of a slow starter (even if it was necessary) - was very enjoyable though. I thought that the robots were really cool (like iMacs)...may even get me to read more Azimov (though I know that it is not closely linked to the books). What is happening with the blockbusters this summer, first Spiderman now this - both are more than just action thrillers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

i went to see it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, really thought it was a great film.

Most Will Smith films are though imo, with the exceptions of men in black 2 and wild wild west...

Hope they make a sequel to i robot.

90%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I also was pleasantly surprised. But how horrible was the Corrs Allastars (or whatever) product placement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

it was far better than i thought it would be, but one thing i cant get over is the bit with the shoes, 'genuine edition 2004'
    i bit sellout for my liking
    really good film besides that though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Jesjes wrote:
    lol. the innocence of youth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

As an Asimov fan, I think Maddox has it right. They bastardised it. They turned it into a frankenstein film. That's not what Asimov's books are about. It's not that they ignored his books, they portrayed it the complete opposite from what it's supposed to be. Grrr. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

The Fresh Prince mixed with Short Circuit and terrible CGI. Disliked it greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Wacker wrote:
    I also was pleasantly surprised. But how horrible was the Corrs Allastars (or whatever) product placement?

that was teh first thing i noticed about the film. theres product placement for around 5 differant things in the first 10 minutes of the film.

really enjoyed the flim btw.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I saw it in Ster Century's 'Big Fella' and found it very enjoyable, even without butter on my popcorn.

Now, I'm off to the shops to but some Converse runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

damien.m wrote:
    terrible CGI.
    Must have missed that... I thought the CG througout was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

i liked it, was supprised!

they actualy bothered to have a decent plot!

Lodgepole wrote:
    Must have missed that... I thought the CG througout was excellent.

It was execlent dont know what he's on about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I thought the cgi was excellent also, even if the writing was very typical Hollywood affair.

Worth seeing for Will Smith's latest body anyway, mmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I saw I,Robot at the weekend in Ster Century's Big Fella, and I wasn't expecting much, but I have to say I quite enjoyed it and it exceeded my expectations.

Although all those product placements mostly at the start of the film had me almost wincing, the converse one was bad but the Audi one, every couple of seconds the you'd see an Audi OOOO symbol on the car in the car on other cars, not too mention that a lot of the background cars where Audi's with I think TT's with bits stuck on.

Having said that I thought that the CGI was very good and Sonny was very realistic, as well as all the other robots, there where only a few shots I thought were below par but I think that is normal on a movie with a lot of fx shots and a deadline in the end something has to go.

Also don't go by the still pictures or ads you see of the movie as when you watch it loks much better and cooler.

An interesting note though is that for each shot with Sonny the robot there where Four camera passes involved, one with Will Smith and the Actor Alan Tudyk playing sonny, one with just Will Smith, one of just the background plate, and one of a puppet sonny for lighting and texture reference.

The intention being that the CGI sunny would be added into all the shots with just will smith but it turned out that the takes of will with the other actor where so much better that they had to paint him out of a lot of shots and then add Sonny.

You can read about the VFX in this movie at http://vfxworld.com/?atype=articles&id=2162

It thought that Sonny was a good character like Gollum that you identified with him as a character rather than looking at him as a CGI effect.

Also i have to say i enjoyed the story I thought it was good and also i really liked the professor in it I can't remember his name but the played the guy who invented Warp in the Star trek First contact movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pebble

Syth wrote:
    As an Asimov fan, I think Maddox has it right. They bastardised it. They turned it into a frankenstein film. That's not what Asimov's books are about. It's not that they ignored his books, they portrayed it the complete opposite from what it's supposed to be. Grrr. :mad:

Oh dear God. Get over it.

It doesnt claim to be the Asimov version of the film. In fact, it says it is 'suggested' byAsimov.

And quite frankly, I'm happy about that. I, Robot, along with most of Asimov's other books are tedious and boring. Yeah, I'm sure you're going to get all offended now and have a rant, but don't bother.

Anyone who says the CGI is crap, is either lying, or trying for some reason to be hip and different. Get over teenage angst boy.

The product placements were certainly over the top, but I am glad they got them out of the way in the first 5 minutes.

I think it was an enjoyable film, but then again, I go to the cinema to be entertained, not to sit there for 2 hours and then whinge about CGI and adaptations (as happens with every movie, not just this one).
    If so many people hate so many films, i wonder why people bother going at all.

By the way, if people think Will Smith films are all the same, rent out Six degrees of Seperation. You may be pleasantly surprised. Although no doubt it will be 'too art-house' for some of you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

tman wrote:
    lol. the innocence of youth

:rolleyes: ... huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Jesjes wrote:
    :rolleyes: ... huh?
    welcome to the internet...

anyway. i thought the cg was good, and it was an entertaining movie. but as for it's adherance to asimov's story.. well, maddox said it all. the name was the same. the 3 laws thing was fairly coherent too, but the rest of it was more like the animatrix's "second renaissance" to be honest. the direction was good at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

pebble wrote:
    And quite frankly, I'm happy about that. I, Robot, along with most of Asimov's other books are tedious and boring. Yeah, I'm sure you're going to get all offended now and have a rant, but don't bother.

Stupid comment.

Havent seen the film yet, kinda looking forward to it though. Always liked Will Smith movies.

[edit]Gaaah! Boards is driving me nuts today.. double posts ahoy.,..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I liked it more than I thought I would; I'm not a big fan of Will Smith either, and the trailer didn't make the film look very interesting. Then again, I'm used to trailers giving everything away to guarantee box office sales. At least I was pleasantly surprised!

I read the books years ago; I might try and find them again because I really enjoyed some of the stories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

If, like me, you go to the cinema not expecting too much, not giving a small turd (or even knowing) its loosely-based on a book by some lad called Asimov - then you'll enjoy it.

If you like plain as poo, in your face fun that is...

• Advertisement

chump wrote:
    If, like me, you go to the cinema not expecting too much, not giving a small turd (or even knowing) its loosely-based on a book by some lad called Asimov - then you'll enjoy it.

If you like plain as poo, in your face fun that is...

Most sensible thing I have heard yet. Too many people trying to be film critics. Whats the point?
    If you know you are not going to like a perticular type of movie, why do people still insist on going and then moaning about it afterwards?

Boro wrote:
    Stupid comment.

QUOTE]

Not at all constructive.

Trolling.

Someone please ban this poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Since when is boards constructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Since when is boards constructive.

well, there was that thread about building blocks a while ago.. that was constructive :)

Saw I Robot nad I have to say that, even though I was disgusted at the complete joke this film made of aasimov's work, once I ignored that fact I really enjoyed this film. It's not a thinker by any stretch of the imagination (everything is handed to you and any time the audience is in any danger of being forced to consider an idea that has been accidentally hinted at something explodes or shatters, thus savign the poor cinema goer's little mind). It's fun. It's worth going to see. You'll forget it five minutes later, but you'll be happy all the same.

pebble wrote:
    Boro wrote:
    Stupid comment.

QUOTE]

Not at all constructive.

Trolling.

Someone please ban this poster.
    You must be having a laugh. After what you said about asimov?

If you had said that in your opinion, you found " I, Robot, along with most of Asimov's other books are tedious and boring" then that would have been different. However, you were just trolling with your spurious putdown of one of Science Fictions greatest visionaries, whose books are loved by many. Then you said " Yeah, I'm sure you're going to get all offended now and have a rant, but don't bother." as if the fact that you start something and then say you dont care, means that anyone is going to be any less offensive.

Calling to ban me... now that sounds more like the work of a troll than a moderator.

Anyway, enough of your childishness.

I saw the film last night. Had to say that I agree with a lot of people, if you went in expecting a poorish film then you were pleasantly surprised. I knew it didnt conform to the Asimov book, so I wasnt expecting too much. Pleasantly surprised though. It was just about worth the time it took to watch. Just another hollywood 'blockbuster'.

The CGI was pretty impressive and the robot looked good. Cant exactly say lifelike because he is supposed to be a robot after all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Some of the more subtle CG was a bit flakey (like when Will Smith is walking amongst all the other robots standing still, they didn't do a great job of merging the two the shadowing or something was off), but the proper CG scenes like the car chase and robo-fight scenes were very well done, can't find fault in those ones.

Enjoyed the film overall, but it's entirely forgettable. Popcorn movie :)

Boro wrote:
    If you had said that in your opinion,

I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was a question of semantics...

There's a bridge with some billy goats about to cross somewhere. Get back under it.

Why don't you take it up on the book forum or something. After all, we are trying to discuss the film and not the books here.

So far you have said I make stupid comments and called me childish.
    Again, you are trolling and I ask that you be banned!

Now i'm reminded of the saying "never argue with an idiot because they drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience".

You, sir, are that idiot.

I voluntarily leave this thread before your trolling embarasses us both further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, as everyone else said, it's pretty much a
    Remove Brain.
    Watch.
    Enjoy.

type of film. If you're going expecting a seriously in-depth sci-fi flick with loads of wow explanations, you'll be disappointed. The dialog is simple, the action is good, and the twists are simple. That said, it's not as predicatable as you're expecting, but twice as a cheesy.

The ads and the MTV show give the impression that they're giving away the movie, but they're not, surprisingly. Product placement is rife and blatant, but as others have said, they dispense with it quite quickly.

Go and see it after a hard day in work, when your brain isn't working.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I took Seamus' advice and saw this after a hard day's working. Although I'm a fan of sci-fi, I'm not particularly an Assimov fan (read a few shorts, that's about it), prefering more moderen author's works so I didn't care that they weren't slavishly faithful to the original (given the word "inspired" was used... something that seems to pass over the heads of a few).
    It's enjoyable fun, not remotely memorable. Product placement had me almost laughing in it's blatantness - I half expected Will Smith to turn to the camera and inform us that the Converse shoes were "available in all good shoe shops now!"
    CGI was quite impressive at times - noticably in the Sonny scenes. In fact I'd say he's the only post-Gollum CGI creation I gave a crap about, so kudos to the team.
    In fairness, as summer blockbusters go, it's quite good and it's gently easing the pain that was Van Helsing all those months ago...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I thought it was a pretty disappointing film and I'd find it hard to recommend to anyone. By the end of it I couldn't have cared less what happened to any of the human characters and only marginally less so about Sonny. Will Smith was his usual self, and I'd fully expected that going into the cinema, but it just wasn't enough to carry a film with a weak plot and poor script.

Having said that, the effects were excellent, and anyone who says otherwise was obviously at a different film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I hated this movie and Will Smith was crap as usual .. tbh i dont why I even went to see it in the first place .. Dialogue was awful .. acting was awful.. plot was awful .. fx were just ok. With the standard of Sci-fi and fx movies now been much higher since the arrival of the Matrix, this is indeed a very poor addition to the genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 allyourbase

I have to agree that this movie was not good. It seemed to steal some elements from Asimov (whome I love to read) and it slapped will smith in and some CGI effects. The robots were not interesting to me at all, they were not monstrous or menacing, and they were not supposed to be, sonce they were basically household appliances in that setting. The female couterpart to will smith was cold and uninteresting, but the doctor was soemwhat interesting. I don't know how that many robots could have been mass produced with the flaw they had in them and no human caught it, and I was very dissapointed. it had a few moments, but it was a waste of my time. I guess I would just prefer a flat out action movie or a pshycological movie... ti does not gel well for me when they try to mix both..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 allyourbase

ixoy wrote:
    ...and it's gently easing the pain that was Van Helsing all those months ago...

I liked Van helsing, it was the werewolves that did it for me, they crack me up for some reason.... owoooooooooo! hehehe ow ow owoooooo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

The fight scenes between the robots were cool imo. The fact that they all looked so indifferent about it all made for some seriously mean robots. Gwan sonny ye mad thing! :D

*reinserts brain*

Yea I thought it was a good popcorn flick. And I wouldn't even associate it with Asimov. It's a pure hollywood summer film aimed at the general masses and not trying to please any sci-fi guru's and certainly not aimed at Asimov fans. Sorry guys but you are a minority :p I'm sure it was just a case of the director read the book one time and thought he'd steal an idea or two. (Or a name or two)

• Advertisement
Advertisement