Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockstar game blamed for hammer murder

Options
  • 28-07-2004 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure of the full story, just caught a mention as my dad was flicking through the NTL channels. ITV news mini screen claimed that someone was murdered as a result of either playing or watching manhunt. Inevitable really. The story was splashed across the front page of the mirror I think.
    And the tyrade begins again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I hate hearing this kind of crap. Anyone who acts on the scenes in a video game shouldn't be playing the thing in the first place. Blaming an act like murder on a video game is just a cop-out. Was it in America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Nope it was England

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Strange. I would've thought that impressionable American kids with easy access to guns would be the culprits. I'll see if I can find the new story

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Usual bull**** on a slow news day - games are a handy scapegoat these days... it used to be evil rock music and videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Guys i was just playing Jack and Daxter, i think il go collect eggs now , adios.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, I can't walk past a tri-colour now without wanting to capture it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

It was really inevitable considering the content. And the fact that it's on a good few formats. I don't think postal or postal 2 ever hit the news, did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

The parents of a boy who was murdered with a claw hammer by a friend have blamed a violent video game which the teenage killer was "obsessed" with.
    Warren Leblanc, 17, repeatedly stabbed 14-year-old Stefan Pakeerah to death after luring him to a Leicester park to steal from him on 27 February.

He pleaded guilty to murder at Leicester Crown Court on Wednesday.

Stefan's mother described Leblanc, who confessed to police moments after the assault, as "inherently evil".

Video game 'obsession'

Stefan's mother, Giselle, a research nurse, had to leave court when the evidence in the case became too harrowing.

Following the hearing she said her son's killer had mimicked a game called Manhunt, developed by Edinburgh-based Rockstar North, in which the players score points for violent killings.

Manhunt was banned six months ago in New Zealand by censorship officials.

Mrs Pakeerah said: "I heard some of Warren's friends say that he was obsessed by this game.

"To quote from the website that promotes it, it calls it a psychological experience, not a game, and it encourages brutal killing.

"If he was obsessed by it, it could well be that the boundaries for him became quite hazy."

Mrs Pakeerah, 36, called for violent video games to be banned.

She said: "I can't believe that this sort of material is allowed in a society where anarchy is not that far removed.

"It should not be available and it should not be available to young people."

I don't play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don't want them on the shelves

Patrick Pakeerah, victim's mother

Leblanc, of Braunstone Frith, Leicester, persuaded his victim to go to nearby Stoke Woods Park, known locally as The Dumps - to meet two girls.

The court heard how he armed himself with a knife and claw hammer to carry out the attack.

He confessed to the killing moments later when he was found covered in blood by two police officers.

Outside court Stefan's father, Patrick, said: "They were playing a game called Manhunt.

"The way Warren committed the murder is how the game is set out - killing people using weapons like hammers and knives.

"There is some connection between the game and what he has done."

Game ban

Echoing his former partner, the civil servant said: "I don't play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don't want them on the shelves."

When police discovered Stefan, they found he had sustained horrific and fatal injuries.

Giselle Pakeerah has called for a ban on violent video games

The boy had been hit so hard with the hammer he had suffered deep cuts to his head and neck. His head had been fractured in several places.

He had multiple stab wounds, with the knife being plunged so deep that it had caused serious injuries to his kidney and liver.

A spokesman for the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers' Association said: "We sympathise enormously with the family and parents of Stefan Pakeerah.

"However, we reject any suggestion or association between the tragic events and the sale of the video game Manhunt.

"The game in question is classified 18 by the British Board of Film Classification and therefore should not be in the possession of a juvenile.

"Simply being in someone's possession does not and should not lead to the conclusion that a game is responsible for these tragic events."

Judge Michael Stokes QC said Leblanc had carried out "a brutal, cold-blooded murder" and could expect a life sentence.

Sentencing was adjourned for reports

From the BBCi website.

Yet again gaming gets the wrap for a murder. Holy god it makes me so angry when stupid reports put gaming in at the forefront of blame when something like this happens. Christ I have played games all my life and have never once had a single thought in my head to kill somone after a session on the PS2 or what every i was playing. I mean if I crash my car can i say it was due to playing Burnout on the PS2 as you get points for the biggest pile up? NO it was a crash it happened.

It is a shame that someone has died but it was not the fault of gaming more the fault of the enviroment of the person conecernd, and I bet money that it will come out at some point that the person charged with murder in this case would have had some sort of problem with his childhood.

All to many people want to jump on the band wagon of blaming TV, Film, Console Gmaes etc... for what ever crime has taken place, I think it is about time that these so called informed people stoped blaming these factors on crimes comitted and looked at the background of the people who commit these crimes.

Sorry Rant Over

:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

jaysus video games arent reality physco :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

That guy obviously had some serious mental problems to do such a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

The kid was the insane one, I doubt the game had much, if any, effect on the murder at all, hesj ust an insane kid, lock him up before he kills more people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Thats what i said the kid i meant was insane??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

do these left wing idiots not think that people were bashing each others heads in with hammers long before video games were even around?

sick poeple are sick people regardless of what video games they play. their sickness may influence what games they like, but games don't make normal people beat each other to death, or we'd all be doing it. I've played manhunt myself, and even though at times I'd like to give the odd person a bit of a knock on the bonce with anythign that comes to hand, i resist the temptation because I'm reasonably sane and understand that i could kill someone which (in most cases) would be a bad thing and would get me into lots of trouble.

anyone who either doesn't understand this or doesen't care is quite simply 'not all there', and should be under supervision and undergoing some sort of counselling (before the fact) or in the clink (after).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

is the game any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Stephen wrote:
    Usual bull**** on a slow news day - games are a handy scapegoat these days... it used to be evil rock music and videos.

And it was tv before that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

These two indentical threads merged. While I like to merge, could people look at the forum before posting threads that pretty much already exist? It's easier for everybody.

okay maybe we cant 100% blame the game but it must have some influence, motivation ? ive never played the game but my friend has it, havent seen it even, but i am guessing its rated R ? over 18's ? if so, the kid was 17 !

Placebo wrote:
    okay maybe we cant 100% blame the game but it must have some influence, motivation ? ive never played the game but my friend has it, havent seen it even, but i am guessing its rated R ? over 18's ? if so, the kid was 17 !

Then its his father/mothers fault not the game its rated 18's for a very good reasion

yeah, thats what i meant/said :)

Ah right my mistake :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I hate when this crap starts up again.I've been playing violent games for years and have never and never intend to hurt another human being.All sympathy to the woman whos kid was killed but her and the father are talking rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

Is it any good

Its mediocre at best, very repetative and linear. It sells off the violence thing, not much substance or plot to it, and for this day and age the graffics are poor.
    In fact I left the game about half finished as my interest waned, and I rarley if ever leave a game unfinished.
    It is the most violent game I have ever played, however in the game all the people you attack are violent criminals or corrupt cops and there are no civilians I imagine this is how it got by the censors.
    Its pretty bad when a game has to sell off violence alone but hey hollywoods has been doing it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

It is a Rockstar game......maybe they have a policy of controversy sells.

p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Tut tut - careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

the game is 18's. the kid is seventeen. case closed.

there is far more ****ed up stuff than Manhunt readily available to everyone from the internet, which isnt regulated on an age basis like game retail COULD be....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Ah come on Pat it is a good game sure, I have it too and love the kind of atmosphere created within it, and in all fairness it is a fairly original game. Scared the bajaysus outta me at points, also it's rock-hard. Fair dues ta Rockstar North I say.
    As for this sad tale, the kid was more than likely a psychopath at some level anyways, since they can't tell the difference between reality and, say, computer games. And as mentioned before, games are the easiest target of all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

it's a load of BS in my opinion. if someone is capable of killing a friend with a hammer just cause he saw it in a game, than it's not the games fault. he's just messed up. tabloids always blame games. after september 11th, the daily telegraphy sent PcZone a letter asking them to record a session in Ms Flight simulator, showing how you can learn to fly a 747 into the twin towers.

but than again, we all know that there was no murder before games were created.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

its defiantely GTA's fault if go mad and run over 15 po-po's

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I bet windows virsus and instabilty are more likely to cause people to go nuts than video games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was listening to this story all day yesterday and the Dixons Group(Dixons, Currys, PCWorld) in UK have removed this game from the market.....the mother of the dead boy said it was the games fault

By that reackoning because I have just played GTA I am going to head out and start robbin cars and flyin around the st till I smash it up and then get another one

As soon as I am finished that mite have a game of Champ Manager!! then because of that I will turn into a stark raving mad Scotish person roaring abuse at players!!

Cant just say that because a game is violent it caused this guy to kill! they said he was obsessed with it.....I hate to say it but how many people do u know who are totally obsessed with Champ Manager?????? doesnt mean that all of them turn into World Class managers!!

This is the usual bulls**t that comes out every 2-3 years

Advertisement