Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic v United

• 29-07-2004 8:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

God I thought there would have been a thread on this given the interest in the Celtic v Pool thread.

Anyway did anyone see the game??

Report from Teamtalk
    A worrying injury to Alan Thompson marred Celtic's 2-1 win over Manchester United in Philadelphia on Wednesday night.

While Alan Smith scored his first goal for the club after arriving from Leeds, Craig Beattie came off the bench to grab the winner in this ChampionsWorld Series match.

But Thompson was stretchered off in considerable distress after being floored by a challenge from Chris Eagles in the third minute. Local TV reports said he needed five stitches inserted in an ankle injury.

Chris Sutton put Celtic ahead from the spot in the 11th minute after Jonathan Spector bowled over Stilian Petrov.

United drew level in the 35th minute through Smith when he got on the end of a corner from Eagles to flick a header past Magnus Hedman.

But United were rattled in the 71st minute when Roy Keane lost possession and Beattie took advantage, racing away down the right before drilling a shot low past Tim Howard from a tight angle.

Oh and on Thompsons injury :
    The Celtic boss said: “Alan has a stud mark.

“Roddy Macdonald (the doctor) cleaned out the the wound and he thinks it might take a little bit of time to heal up.

“It was a blow considering the season is only 10 days away and that appears to be too early for him.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

This Beattie chap looks a really decent prospect. Looking forward to seeing him in action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Originally posted by irish1
    God I thought there would have been a thread on this given the interest in the Celtic v Pool thread.

Anyway did anyone see the game??

Report from Teamtalk [/I]

Oh and on Thompsons injury : [/I]

Yeah I saw it. it was a little better than the Bayern game and there was some pretty physical challenges .Celtic opened the scoring from the spot Smith equalised for united and Celtic scored near the end of the game to win. United played a lot of the youngsters again so it was a good exercise to get up to match fitness but as usual with these tours its difficult to judge very much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

did miller play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Beatie looks like he could become a great player , better than the one down south .

did Mceady play ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Miller didn't go on tour.

McGeady started, average performance but he was played on the right again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

The celts need another striker apart from Camara (if he goes). I wonder would kevin phillips ever consider it?

A striker should be the least of our priorities.

Hartson, Sutton, Beattie, Maloney, Camara and dare I say Fernandez is enough.

Sutton-Beattie should be first choice. From what I read, Camara will be playing on the right as he does for his country. Agathe at RB and Camara at RM, thats a very slow right line. ;) At LB should be our main priority as Laursen hasn't impressed once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

eirebhoy wrote:
    At LB should be our main priority as Laursen hasn't impressed once.

you mean left side of a back 3. kennedy when fit, looks like he'll hold down a spot. valgaren and balde are decent with mjallby well capable of stepping in. varga looked to be a great signing last year, hopefully he'll continue where he left off.

i think our defence is solid, it should be last on our list. midfield is really poor, lennon and lambert are past it, millers gone and petrov is inconsistent the past couple of years. agathe and thomo are fine on the wings and sutton beattie i agree should lead the attack with hartson, camara, maloney as backup or played in different roles.

at least 2 good central midfielders are needed to partner petrov. lennon and lambert will do in the league but in europe this season especially, we need the legs in midfield to support the attack.

While I should be slating you for the few mistakes you made, I'll let you off. ;)

Celtic have been playing with a back 4 in all the pre-season friendlies and it looks like it will stay that way.

Agathe is now a regular at RB and he is playing great there.

Mjallby doesn't play for Celtic anymore.

Valgaeran has been playing shíte since he came back from his injury midway through last season.

Lennon was Celtic's best player last season and certainly isn't past it. He is one of our most important players. He wasn't the best the season before that but since he's a regular he has been playing great. he got the fans player of the year BTW.

Since it looks like we'll be playing a back 4 from now on a LB should our main priority. I'm not a fan of playing McNamara at LB and Laursen hasn't impressed.

Steven Crainey :( .

that is all . :(:(:(

ps: why does this frown face look like an angry one ? :((guess that wasnt all)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Big Ears wrote:
    Steven Crainey :( .

that is all . :(:(:(

ps: why does this frown face look like an angry one ? :((guess that wasnt all)

the new board is weird, it appeared without warning and is scary/unfamiliar
    the football forum just doesn't feel the same

eyerer wrote:
    the new board is weird, it appeared without warning and is scary/unfamiliar
    the football forum just doesn't feel the same

agreed . fecking :The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters. forcing me to lengthen my posts aswell .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

Big Ears wrote:
    agreed . fecking :The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters. forcing me to lengthen my posts aswell .
    Yeh the old one was so much nicer :(

Advertisement