Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the 21st Century (vBulletin 3)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Search function not working, I'm guessing the Word List got dumped out in the upgrade.
    When it's returned, will the Archived section be searchable? Because it could lead to an awful lot of reposting and reanswering of questions already dealt with (possibly to tears).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

dont really like it but i suppose ill get used to it but its a tad slow at the mo im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Yes, the smilies and icons - I have a black background set, just have to add some replacement variables tomorrow when more time (vB3 doesn't by default allow diff. sets of icons and smilies for styles). I know it's possible because I've done it on boards.jp :)

We also have to get the Google ad and the menu to match the style, in the Cloud skin they are not matching yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I really like it, and the more I use it, the more it grows on me. I think we desperately need 2 things though:

1. A changelog with a list of the new features (unlikely, given the ad-hoc nature of the changeover)
    2. A tone-down on the font that displays the username on each post, and also the font in the journals section that says "X's Journal".

Arial? You fiends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I use the "Todays Posts" search a lot(gota log out to see it). Could yous move the "Forum Name" bar beside or closer to the "Thread/Thread Starter". Would make it easier to scan down through the stuff. Think they were closer in the "View Active Threads" days :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Interesting...
    But where'd the cool ninja and wwm smileys go?!
    I suppose I'll grow to like it once they sort out the cloud theme properly... uurrgh. :confused:

Oh and what's happening with the taglines... a few minutes ago I was "No Life", then I posted my first vb3 post and I've become a "Registered User".

It's all so new and scarey :(
    "We don't like change do we Deirdre"

Anyone else experiencing odd cookie behaviour... having to log in every time you come back? :/

Yeah, apparently the "edit" button isn't working for you :) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mods are'nt highlighted in the active users list on /vbulletin/index.php page

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I honestly have to say i dont like it. Its two big and bulky. I must prefered that old one....with the superville theme applied. Hey but it will grow on us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Webmonkey wrote:
    I honestly have to say i dont like it. Its two big and bulky. I must prefered that old one....with the superville theme applied. Hey but it will grow on us :)
    Have to say I agree, its not very intuitive, I've no idea what half the new function sdo (will there be a guide?) and its a bit eyesorish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

it blows!! and it doesnt retain cookies, keep having to log on booo hissss booo hisss
    if its not broke etc etc etc, i suppose i will get used to it though :)

CuLT wrote:
    Yeah, apparently the "edit" button isn't working for you :) .
    No no, it works... I just happened to post three seperate comments while nobody posted in between them... do you only post 1 reply to a thread, then keep going back to edit it every time you want to add something to the topic?
    (Weirdo)

And besides, who could let such a postcount++ opportunity go to waste! :rolleyes:

[token edit to keep CuLT happy]
    I love these new quote boxes by the way :)
    [/token edit to keep CuLT happy]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

áéíóú ÁÉÍÓÚ Þþ Ðð ?? ???? ?????? ???? B'fhéidir

Just a little Unicode Test. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Dang. Latin 1. :(

SantaHoe wrote:
    No no, it works... I just happened to post three seperate comments while nobody posted in between them... do you only post 1 reply to a thread, then keep going back to edit it every time you want to add something to the topic?
    (Weirdo)

And besides, who could let such a postcount++ opportunity go to waste! :rolleyes:

[token edit to keep CuLT happy]
    I love these new quote boxes by the way :)
    [/token edit to keep CuLT happy]
    Aw, you didn't have to go and do that just to make me happy :O .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Stark wrote:
    What's the story with FOAF? Do you need a special client for it or something?
    It's broken....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

It just isn't home anymore :( and i miss the yellow smily guys...these are just mad crazy coloured guys that are hyper active...It wud take a lot to actually look like them

http://www.boards.jp/forums/index.php?styleid=27 is looking a bit like hell on earth : (

sorry just my opinion. I said before it wud grow on us but i'm having second thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Nuttzz wrote:
    it blows!! and it doesnt retain cookies, keep having to log on booo hissss booo hisss
    if its not broke etc etc etc, i suppose i will get used to it though :)

it does for me, i logged in from the user CP and havn't had to log in again...

what's the little green square beside Friends do under some1's avatar.

the alt text on them vary but santahoe's one says for example

"santahoe is off the scale"

• Advertisement

That's the karma (reputation) count.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I love it !! Especially this fellah :rolleyes: !!

I'm sure in time the look will be sorted out after the functions are all sorted and working properly - seems about 95% there at the moment.

The task of actually moving everything over to version 3 must have been tricky - Does the database go over without any problems ?

There hasn't been any slowdown that I've noticed although they've probably sorted that out at this stage.

Well done lads great job - looking forward to all the functions being implemented fully.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Can we please get rid of the Quick Reply thing? It's incredibly useless and its just extra junk that has to be loaded on each page impression (no doubt adding to the server load, like that's needed..) :/

It also clutters up the look of each page lots, which would be my main reason for wanting it gone.

Oh oh, and get rid of the location info under the avatar in each post.

Oh oh oh oh, and turn off that incredibly fúcking annoying 'today/yesterday' function. Not only is it confusing and annoying when you're trying to figure out what today or yesterday actually is, but it must add a bucket load onto the server load, having to generate that on each impression.

(I think I'm done now) [blast it, the swear filter now disregards code tags inside words. Fix that too! :)]

Moriarty wrote:
    It also clutters up the look of each page lots, which would be my main reason for wanting it gone.
    Yeah and you have to click a button before you can use it aswell which is fairly naff, I'd prefer to just click the proper reply button and have a full-featured posting thingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Moriarty wrote:
    Oh oh, and get rid of the location info under the avatar in each post.

Aye it's a bit naff :(

With the increased time it takes for each page to load on 56k, the quick reply function is a necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Moriarty wrote:
    Oh oh oh oh, and turn off that incredibly fúcking annoying 'today/yesterday' function. Not only is it confusing and annoying when you're trying to figure out what today or yesterday actually is, but it must add a bucket load onto the server load, having to generate that on each impression.

i concur with the above statement :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The reply page takes very little bandwidth to load, compareably. Once you remove the quick-reply code from each page, you'll probably actually be using less bandwidth in total if you're reading a few pages per every reply.

The rest of VB3 is causing a lot of the extra load, I'm sure if the admins were particularily worried about the extra bandwidth it will doubtlessly consume, they wouldn't have upgraded at all :) .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

It is a bit bulky for me, the whole space on the left dedicated to poster info is huge imho. The size of the name, the space between the avatar and join date, the size of the writing and the fact that its all aligned left leaves tonnes of unused space that imho adds to the bulkyness...

Possible chopping and changing could remove 3 lines (maybe 4) from the section. and maybe remove the small gaps between posts...

The colors look really well and the tonnes of new options available (kept me amused for while)

^^ but all thats just aesthetics ^^

1 suggestion, could you possibly group avatars and/or give an option for number of avatars shown per page... 2654 avatars from what i can see are randomly ordered and there is 107 pages of them... this may curb avatar theft but would be a pain for someone wanting to change one

Advertisement