Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the 21st Century (vBulletin 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How do you check someones reputation? Is that what the identical green square under everyones name tells me? All these people have different reputations, but we're just going to give em all the same icon, so you can't discern any difference - making awarding reputation points useless.

You've a grey box now. Happy? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

I don't have any drop-down menus :/

Firefox 0.9, Win XP SP1.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Drop down menu problems often disappear after a day when the browser updates the cached copy. Assuming you haven't turned off javascript and that it started today, it seems the most likely explanation that the first download of it today got corrupted since I haven't seen any other firefox users report this behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Working fine here with firefox 0.9.2 and xp sp1. Have you got javascript turned off or anything oeneo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

hostyle wrote:
    Upgrading any software for the hell of it is a silly thing to do. When upgrades make software more confusing than before its even sillier. Or maybe its just me ...

im sure people where confused moving from win1.0 to win2.0 ... :eek:

• Advertisement

I just checked and java's enabled. Could it be anything else?

Oh and I didnt have any menus yesterday either. It works fine in IE.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

javascript as opposed to java?

No they're both enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You're not behind a weird proxy or anything are you? (some poxies block javascript). Would only be an issue if you were at work or in school/college or something.

Also try clearing out your cache (Go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Clear Cache).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Have become more accustomed to the new format and it has grown on me quite a lot.
    I particularly like the way sub forums are clearly accessible from the main index i.e. in Languages etc.
    I'm also liking the quick links menu and other such menus, finding them very handy.

Just thought I'd say as most of the feedback seems to be rather critical of the whole thing.

*shrug*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I actually like the new format. I have been using the V3 format for quite a while now on other forums. To say I was plesently surprised when I logged in the other day is an understatement.

To all the admins and mods, keep up the good work

Thanks Guys

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Amz wrote:
    Have become more accustomed to the new format and it has grown on me quite a lot.
    I particularly like the way sub forums are clearly accessible from the main index i.e. in Languages etc.
    I'm also liking the quick links menu and other such menus, finding them very handy.

Just thought I'd say as most of the feedback seems to be rather critical of the whole thing.

*shrug*
    Throughout the ages it's always been easier to moan than it has been to complement :) , certainly in Ireland anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

CuLT wrote:
    Throughout the ages it's always been easier to moan than it has been to complement :) , certainly in Ireland anyway.
    GOD CuLT stop putting smilies in the middle of you sentences, and get a hair cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I wasn't sure about this whole Karma thing but if it lets me reduce people's reputation for use of exclaimation marks, smilies, and illegibility, then I'm all for it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

tba wrote:
    GOD CuLT stop putting smilies in the middle of you sentences, and get a hair cut!

Help! I'm being oppressed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

While I don't like the new look, the new functionality is fantastic. Other forums I've been on that use the V3 format I've found very slow. But boards is very fast on my dire dialup connection. So excellent work dudes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

nice stuff...

Still getting used to the whereabouts of the btis and pieces (havent had the chance to be on much lately), and figuring out any new features I can find.

Cloud skin is nice too, but I look forward to a nice default skin like before.

Any plans to put the list of forums the peeps mod under their names like before?

/edit and how could i forget? A big congratulations and many, many thanks to the admins for their work on this, I can only imagine how much work was involved in the upgrade, and how much work you plan on doing, so have a healthy (although virtual) pat on the back

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

flogen wrote:
    nice stuff...

/edit and how could i forget? A big congratulations and many, many thanks to the admins for their work on this, I can only imagine how much work was involved in the upgrade, and how much work you plan on doing, so have a healthy (although virtual) pat on the back

flogen

I agree wholeheartedly .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

The search function won't search any posts made before the upgrade to vB3 - can this be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

DMT wrote:
    The search function won't search any posts made before the upgrade to vB3 - can this be fixed?

Your living in the past, stop living in the past!

And damn your tricky sig!

• Advertisement

Stark wrote:
    You're not behind a weird proxy or anything are you? (some poxies block javascript). Would only be an issue if you were at work or in school/college or something.

Also try clearing out your cache (Go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Clear Cache).

Im not and I did that but still no menus :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

hostyle wrote:
    Anyone ever heard of usability? ... the green box beside "Friends"? Why is it an identical image for everyone, yet when you pass your mouse over it it can give different ALTs/TITLEs?

This is still a huge usability problem.
    hostyle wrote:
    Clicking "Add to this users reputation" simply reloads the page, and tells me nothing - as in "did it work"? How do you remove a reputation point that you have added accidentally / or changed your mind on?

This has been fixed. When I made this comment all that clicking on the scales icon did was reload the page (no popup). Yay for moaning.
    hostyle wrote:
    How do you check someones reputation? Is that what the identical green square under everyones name tells me? All these people have different reputations, but we're just going to give em all the same icon, so you can't discern any difference - making awarding reputation points useless.

I still don't see how to check anyone elses overall reputation. Individual post reputations give me a popup, but isnt there any overall karma? Where do I check that?
    hostyle wrote:
    Upgrading any software for the hell of it is a silly thing to do. When upgrades make software more confusing than before its even sillier. Or maybe its just me ...

Thanks guys for all the reputation points (mostly negative), at the least its making it easier to get to the bottom of the system changes. Good luck with all the karma whoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

boards.ie > forum Utilites > Signatures Rules

Links to here

instead of here

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

hostyle wrote:

I still don't see how to check my (or anyone elses) overall reputation. Individual post reputations give me a popup, but isnt there any overall karma? Where do I check that - I can't find any thing in User CP.

If you want to know how many Rep points you have, go to any one of your posts can click on the scale.

I dont know why the Red/Green icon is a "huge usability issue"? And it is different for most people.

Also to find out whos is "winning" go to memberlist and click on reputation (Thanks DMT :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Axel wrote:
    If you want to know how many Rep points you have, go to any one of your posts can click on the scale.

For me, yes - I can check my rep. What about other people? How do I check theirs, other than them being either green (0 - 1000 rep points) or red (less than 0 rep points) and an apparently "clever" statement onmouseover - and why should i have to hover my mouse to find this out?
    Axel wrote:
    I dont know why the Red/Green icon is a "huge usability issue"? And it is different for most people.

The fact the green icon represents many different things is the "huge usability issue". Two identical images should never represent two different things, yet if you hover your mouse over various green icons on boards.ie you will find that they do.
    Axel wrote:
    Also to find out whos is "winning" go to memberlist and click on reputation (Thanks DMT :) ).

I don't care who is "winning" - the boards.ie popularity contest is rather low on my list of priorities. And yes, right now I'm at -14. Big deal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

oh jesus christ hostyle, get over it.
    Karma is by no means an integeral part of boards.ie, its a tiny little stick on extra. Its not a bad idea, i suppose, but its nothing important. I would also like to see the points each person is on, but I dont mind that much that I cant. And I dont care if green means 290 different things, its just something light hearted and fun (I dont think boards.ie are employing the 'get under -whatever and you get banned' system).

And if you dont care about the boards.ie popularity contest, why are you getting so uppity about knowing how everyone else is doing?

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Woah there. Was only answering your questions, it wont happen again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

attachments need to be opened in a new window....

\0/

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

flogen wrote:
    oh jesus christ hostyle, get over it.
    flogen - you're human!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Gordon wrote:
    flogen - you're human!

I know Gordon, I'm scared too!

:eek:

Advertisement