Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the 21st Century (vBulletin 3)

Options
  • 29-07-2004 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

Hi all -

We underwent a fairly major upgrade today from vBulletin 2 to vBulletin 3.

The upgrade process took about three hours, with another hour to integrate our journal hack. We've been testing vB3 for some time now, and are happy to have integrated it properly with our main page and DHTML menu at last.

What's new!
    • Karma (user reputation)
    • Friends and FOAF
    • New layout
    • Quick reply
    • Threaded views

To do!
    • Photopost - ecksor is working on getting this back soon.
    • Styles - there's like 200 images in vB3 styles, so they are not the easiest to do - we may have a competition to design some soon. In the meantime I've been working on the Cloud style (preview at b.jp) which still needs some tweaking in the thread display and forum display templates.
    • Arcade - no plans for this yet, but it is available for vB3.
    • Members - some missing images, I'll get around to making this look like the Usenet heading shortly.
    • Main page - fix the PMs number check as it is not working
    • This list will grow following your feedback...

Enjoy!

John and all the admins.
    --
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

It burns!!!!

Actually, apart from its uglyness (which I'm sure will be changed) its pretty cool. Dunno about quick replies though. Overload on Humour board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Its good to see who has you on their buddy list but whats FOAF.

Also, I might be missing something but how do you post a quick reply. Where are the quick reply buttons?

Also is it possible to put the default notification type to "Do not Subscribe"?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They said it would never happen!! ;)

It seems that my subbed forums list has emptied? Also - anyone else experiencing severe slowness on boards at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Stephen wrote:
    They said it would never happen!! ;)

It seems that my subbed forums list has emptied? Also - anyone else experiencing severe slowness on boards at the moment?

Yes, slowness abound.
    My subbed list was empty for about 10 minutes, but its back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

its pretty cool alright,

I like the way it says posted today, yeterday, tommorrow etc.., but god its the ugly son of a php monster.

Im gonna try a new smilie :cool:

whats FAOF and how does this karma thing work, can I vote on how i precieve other people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

i'm guessing FOAF means "friend of a friend" - of course, **** knows what it actually does.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Lord save us it's damn horid ugly... can't wait for the minimalist hack

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

vb3 has always looked like a monster to me, but this is OUT OF THE BLUE. I hope for more madness in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There's something disconcerting about the font and size of the text for usernames.
    The new features sound moderatley interesting - but a thorough explanation is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Thanks to Cloud and the Admins for putting the work in to make boards.ie better.

Any chance of a warning next time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭TheWolf

Happy days :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nice new look and i like the new features.

any chance we could have the vbulletin logo link back to the home page with the last 20 posts instead of the forum list?

to have it just like vbulletin 2? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

this is sh!t why do u guys keep changing, whats wrong wit the old one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

jebuz wrote:
    this is sh!t why do u guys keep changing, whats wrong wit the old one

GoEnglish_com_1DontLookAGiftHorseInTheMouth.gif

I will solve "The Riddle of the Alternately Coloured Smilies" before the day is out!

:D;):) :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Looks very kiddie, what with the larger fonts and the weird smilies. Can't wait for the styles to make a comeback.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm soooo lost

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

amp wrote:
    Thanks to Cloud and the Admins for putting the work in to make boards.ie better.

Any chance of a warning next time?
    A warning would mean that we'd all have to plan to do work for the time, instead of planning on-the-fly how we are going to waste this new time we have suddenly been blessed with.

I saw "software upgrades" and thought "Vb3".

I like it. Can't wait for the converted skins though, if they're going to be done.

We're going very slow. I assume it's to do with the upgrades and not a permanent side-effect of vb3? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The "All My Posts" option on front page doesn't work correctly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

lots of cool little extras! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Cr3m0 wrote:
    nice new look and i like the new features.

any chance we could have the vbulletin logo link back to the home page with the last 20 posts instead of the forum list?

to have it just like vbulletin 2? :rolleyes:

Is that not what happens when you click on boards.ie above the logo?

It's still being worked on atm, afaik, so some of the features aren't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Just want to submit another small bug report. Login feature on main page doesn't work properly, it brings up the page viewing your profile but doesn't log you in. You can login from the page you're brought to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

seamus wrote:
    A warning would mean that we'd all have to plan to do work for the time, instead of planning on-the-fly how we are going to waste this new time we have suddenly been blessed with.

Yeah I know, I'm not foaming at the mouth and I know it'll be back to normal (well better than normal) soon, it's just that I think it would have made a lot of people who organize stuff using boards lives a lot easier.

On the plus side there's a whole load of new gadgets and toys and stuff to play with. I might even have a go at doing up a skin for boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Thank god. I was worried I'd just started seeing pastel colours and rounded edges and oversized text out of the blue... but no, its an actual thing. I'm relieved...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Karma (user reputation)

How do you use this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Beruthiel wrote:
    lots of cool little extras! :)

Aye, tis goin' to take a wee while to get used to but it's growing on me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

One of the most useful things I have seen available with vB 3 is the thread preview - if you hover your mouse over the thread title you will get a preview of the first few lines of that thread. Saves you from having to open it. Any chances of including this?

bizmark wrote:
    How do you use this ?

And so the pain began.

There's a little indescribable button with a few other little pictures below the user's postcount. You'll see you have the option to "Add to Reputation".

That's Karma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

bizmark wrote:
    How do you use this ?
    Click on the little scales icon (grey/silver) in the bottom under a persons name (beside the green/grey ball) to rate someones post good or bad. You can check your own rating by clicking on that icon under your own name.

The quick reply feature - there is a button beside the quote (bottom right of each post) that if you click enables the dialog box at the bottom of the screen.

Advertisement