Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SBG Ireland Best Club Award

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Np Colum. Thanks for making the competition a success, and congrats to SBG.

Regards,
    John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭EPO_MAN

MMA club of the month?
    Well done!!!
    How many MMA clubs are egibible for this award?
    forgive me laughter here.

I know SBG and I like what they do and stand for.
    But having awards like this cheapens the game...

"Self praise is no praise"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Hey EPO_MAN. Welcome to the boards.
    MMA club of the month?

Nope. Club of the month. It was open to everyone who posts on Irmac or anyone else. I imagine a good few would have applied.

All martial arts clubs were open to apply. I can appreciate your cynicism if it was just MMA as the scene is so small and SBG so dominant.

Cool. :D

I think John had the award to try and raise a bit of interest in the site he set up. I dont think that there is anything wrong with that. Just trying to get people interested in the site and get people actively involved, which is a situation where a competition like this helps. I dont think his motives were bad and I think its unfair to accuse him of cheapening the game. I do understand though, if you thought it was MMA only. Then I would wholeheartedly agree with you!
    "Self praise is no praise"

I agree. Just trying to drum up a bit of interest in the site and the competition. Develop some kind of community with a bit of healthy competition. Sorry if my post has offended you.

MMA club of the month?
    Well done!!!
    forgive me laughter here.

Must you be that ignorant? The award was open to many clubs and I received about 60 odd e-mails. Considering the site had just been opened, I think it shows that there was a great interest in it.

Not only was it an effort to promote the site (which I fund out of my own pocket) and to promote the irish MA scene, I think it is very negative of you to laugh and not only my effort to constantly update that site, but the efforts of SBG to promote MMA in Ireland.

If you don't appreciate any of the work, keep it to yourself. You are doing yourself no favours by acting like a little kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 webwannabe

I think if you look at Irmaac you ill see that no one really writes there unless they are from the sgb gyms so it was always going to happen that they won...

Personally I think its a money making operation, all this talking and no fighters to prove it, its like karate schools have reopened under sbg names and runit in the same old fashioned way.

• Advertisement

I don't get where the problem lays here.

1) I'm not a member of SBG, I fight out of tramore hapkido school.

2) SBG has proved itself in any grappling or MMA tournament that they have fought in. They are trually deserving of any praise - If you doubt their ability, I'm sure they would have no problem with an open challenge.

3) It was not only advertised on IRMAC, I advertised it on a few MA forums aswell as the IrishMMA.com website itself so SBG did not in anyway, shape or have an advantage over any other clubs.

All I tried to do here was to promote Martial Arts and Mixed Martial Arts out of the little spare time that I have. I run the site because I love martial arts and anything that I can think of that will promote it, I'll do it.

I don't see what is it that I'm doing is so wrong..
    Oh well.

Hey webwannabe.

Its seems to me that you have some kind of beef either with MMA or SBG in general. Correct me if I'm wrong, as you are entitled to your opinion.
    all this talking and no fighters to prove it

Not quite sure if you grasp the concept of competitive MMA, which SBG consistently produce quality fighters for. Also, Im not sure if you grasp the concept of what SBG is. Again correct me if I'm wrong.
    its like karate schools have reopened under sbg names and runit in the same old fashioned way.

Having trained in aikido and karate schools I can tell you that SBG and MMA gyms are a hell of a lot different and arent just money making schemes as you claim. Have you ever trained MMA. What is your experience? What allows you to make these claims or are you just trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

If you don't appreciate any of the work, keep it to yourself.

John anyone is entitled to criticise what you, or anyone does. It's important that people continuously challenge your views and actions, that way you can grow and develop.
    all this talking and no fighters to prove it

Paul McVeigh - Former U65Kg Cagewarriors Champion - Great Britain. Coached by John Kavanagh SBG

Adrian DeGorski - Former U77Kg Champ - Great Britain (Since went on to Pro Boxing)

Dave Roche - Irish U70Kg MMA Champion. Fighting for Cagewarrios U70Kg Title Sept 18th against Gerard Streblandt(sp?)

Robbie Walsh - Irish U65Kg MMA Champion.

Owen Dempsey - Irish U75Kg MMA Champion.

John "Coke" Donnelly will be fighting in an MMA bout on tomorrow night's Armaggedon 3 in the Ringside Club.

Mick Leonard, Francis Heagney and Willie Hamill are all representing SBG in Extreme Combat in Antrim August 29th.

Check out JK's Ring of Truth MMA Show which will be held in Dublin, October 1st.

Also, check out the league tables of the Irish Amateur MMA League SBG Ireland fighters are ranked at #1 in all the divisions they entered.

Take Care of Yourself,
    Colm "All Talk" O'Reilly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Oh, just one more quick thing
    Personally I think its a money making operation

John Kavanagh is a full time coach, so yes, his gym is a money making operation. What, pray tell, is wrong with making a living from coaching athletes?

Peace Out,
    Colm

John anyone is entitled to criticise what you, or anyone does. It's important that people continuously challenge your views and actions, that way you can grow and develop.

Of course Colm. Critique is not a bad thing but when it involves bashing something I've setup to promote something out of my spare time and it doesn't affect their life, then there is no need to bash it.

In any case, I'm not too worried about what two anonymous internet folks have to say about me or anything I do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭TwoKingMick

I missed webwannabe. His main experience colum, is that he seems to have met andy keegan at least once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

not that i wanna take this oof topic, but i will...

webwannabe how are you, there has been a few things said to me i the last few days that have me very annoyed about a few things.

I dont give a **** who you are or what opinions you have, post them here but dont attach your postings to andy. And if you training in thai, stay off this forum. plain and simple.

Hi Guys - Glad I caused a bit of a stir. I totally respect JK and SBG. I have met him on a few ocasions and been to some workshops. Unfortunatly I don't have the time to take up MMA to the level I would like to fight you guys.
    I rspect your commitment to the game etc...

But I have to stand by my opinions that awards from a site / grouping mostly entered into by guys from MMA is gonna be mma sided and a tad biased.

dlofnep wrote:
    In any case, I'm not too worried about what two anonymous internet folks have to say about me or anything I do.

Yeah thos e type of comments are gonna help or contribute!!!
    Mr Ruling Class....

Hi Guys - Glad I caused a bit of a stir.
    Troll!!! :p
    But I have to stand by my opinions that awards from a site / grouping mostly entered into by guys from MMA is gonna be mma sided and a tad biased.

Well again the reality is that loads of traditional clubs who train a little MMA were also associated. Probably Airport TKD, NUIG TKD, Blackrock Karate, Paul Moran in blackrock, Tramore Hapkido etc. etc. etc. so it wouldnt be as biased as you think. I understand your point nonetheless!

EPO_MAN wrote:
    Yeah thos e type of comments are gonna help or contribute!!!

Help or contribute to what? Contribution to the not caring about trolls society? Count me in.
    EPO_MAN wrote:
    Mr Ruling Class....

That my friend, is a quote. I don't appreciate your ruse.

[/QUOTE]

Well again the reality is that loads of traditional clubs who train a little MMA were also associated. Probably Airport TKD, NUIG TKD, Blackrock Karate, Paul Moran in blackrock, Tramore Hapkido etc. etc. etc. so it wouldnt be as biased as you think. I understand your point nonetheless![/QUOTE]

I cannot wait for the TKD to start on the olympics. Never did it but it good to watch and at least some martial art is getting in there. Some day before I'm too old hopefully sport Jujutsu will be there. I live in hope.

But (here comes the RANT!!)
    It gonna be a great shame that some many people in ireland do TKD - - a hell of a lot more than track & field but NO RTEare gonna be there usual heads in the sand idiots on that one. Thank god for eurosport - can I give them my tv licence.

Wish i had Eurosport.

Then I could watch K1, and

Olympic Judo, Wrestling, and TKD.

Damn ntl!!

columok wrote:
    Wish i had Eurosport.

Then I could watch K1, and

Olympic Judo, Wrestling, and TKD.

Damn ntl!!

Colm - Go digital. I get the complete package for €60 a month. You may think it steep but I must say that I followed the K1 religiously last year.
    It was tops.
    Judo is on occasionally too and they are great for showing boxing from all over europe....some of tehse lesser know fights from beerhalls in germany and really good.

That said BBC showed TKD last night but I only caught the end of it.
    Some day sport jujustu will be there.....some day...before I'm 40.

Also keeps teh rest of thefamily sweeet with shopping for the missus and cartoons for the yound lad.
    Anyway think I'm off the point. time for a new thread.

"Of course Colm. Critique is not a bad thing but when it involves bashing something I've setup to promote something out of my spare time and it doesn't affect their life, then there is no need to bash it."

Didn't want to bash your site which is quite good just the award and it's acceptance.

Helio, Rorion and co. are really pushing for BJJ to go Olympic. I live in hope.

Digital sounds tempting. With UFC having just gone to Bravo...Even more so.

Advertisement