Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

270 tonight

Options
  • 29-07-2004 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Is there gonna be a freeroll and 30E freezeouts tonight like last month? What time is freeroll? What time is 270? thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

The freeroll starts at 6:30pm, the €270 starts at 9:30, usually starts a little later though.

Tonight's freeroll has a shorter buy-in period and re-buys and top-ups are €15 instead of the usual €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yup, the post you've all been waiting for...

"I wish I sold it!"

I'm sick of explaining what happened, it's all too familiar.

No heroics for me either Cormie. For anyone that wasn't there it was a monster entry. Over 100 players, they didn't even have enough seats for them all so they had to have alternates that meant once a player was knocked out one of the alternates took the available seat.

Bad draw from the start with Former World Champion Noel Furlong to my immediate right, that guy just loves raising it up. I only saw about 5 flops in the first hour and half. Got dealt dirt the whole night, got moved table where I doubled up with the best hand I saw in the 5 hrs I played - monster pocket 10's. With the blinds just about to go to 1000/2000 I moved all-in for 8,000 with a laughably weak A,3 suited - with only 4 times the big blind I was prepared to gamble. Got called by pocket 7's, found a 3 on the flop but the turn and river delivered no miracles. Finished 28th - not too bad considering the huge entry numbers and the filthy cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Kelter

Sounds like an unbelievable night. I didn't think you dig up 100 people with 270 to lose, Anyone know what the prizes were?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

They paid out to 18. 300 for 10th to 18th. 9550 for the winner.
    I eventually finished 14th for 300. Had a big stack early on when I called an all in with two small pair and he had been slow playing Qs but got no help.
    Then got some amazing flops, A34 with me holding 25 on the BB. I was really motoring when the bloody call came for me to move upstairs. Didn't see another card for the rest of the night and was mightly relieved when the 19th got knocked out as I was sure I was going to get the bubble.

Also won a single table sat prior to the main one and have the seat or 270 credit for next month. Great night though. Got home at 4 :eek: and there were still 13 players there when I left. KenCleary was going really well when I left, not sure about other Boardsters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Finished up in 20th, 2 off the money. Was only hitting marginal cards most of the night, had a nice one where my AQ dumped out an AK with a Q on the river. Blinds got expensive, my hands got worse and couldnt hold out for 18th. Savage night though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭kencleary

Came in 9th last night and picked up €500. Not too shabby considering I got my ticket in a freeroll.

I was upstairs at table 5 for most of the night with Joe O'Neill, Henbane & others. Got off to a bit of a rocky start when I flopped a straight only for somebody to river a full house That lost me 2k but by the dinner at level 4/5 I had 15k, thanks in no small measure to somebody betting into me when i flopped trips :D . That 15k then stubbornly refused to grow as I bounced in and out of a few hands. I then took that 15k downstairs and from then on the night became a bit of a blur as the words raise and call were replaced by all-ins all over the place. I found it very frustrating continually looking down to see hands like J-10 and knowing you can't play them without risking all your stack.

We seemed to take forever to drop from the mid-twenties down to last two tables but then things went a bit crazy as small stacks decided to take their €300s and run. Two people called my all-in with Ace-Queen, one turns over eight-two offsuit and laughs, the other Ace-Jack and my hand stood up leaving me sitting pretty on around 50k. Sounds good doesn't it? but with the blinds at 4000-8000 even 50k is very vulnerable and sure enough I'm anted down to 26000 by the time final table rolls around.

It must have been nearly 4.30am by this point and i'm decidely short stacked in seat 6. I need to climb to 5th place to increase my prize money so I resolve to go all-in on any two picture cards and sure enough first hand I'm dealt King-Jack suited. I push it all-in and am called by an Ace-Queen. I hit my King, he hits his Ace and i'm walking in 9th place. Can't wait to play again next month though - freerolls here I come!!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

dire night and dire cards. Went out after an hour of nice cards and bad flops.
    Had AK UTG and didnt raise to see what I could do with it, flop came A83 and I bet 500, one bloke moves all in and I toss my remaining 2-2.5k in rather recklessly... he had played 88 and I was sick (mostly with myself).

What I learned last night (and I try to learn at least one thing everytime I play) is not to play when you are tired and stressed from work. :(

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

They eventually split it five ways at the final table for €3,700 each. Fúcking Hell. Well done to Ken and Careca for finishing in the money. It was some night - my first end-of-month game, when I went out (i got cruelly rivered after calling for all my chips with the best of it if you want to know, which, I'm sure you don't), I was more annoyed that I didn't get to play anymore in a tournie that good than I was at missing out at the chance to win some money. 95 runners!!! and this during the Galway Races. I'd be killing myself to get a ticket for next month, only I won't be here.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

yeah its an excellent tournie alright, I was more pissed off that I had to leave the table then that I had lost...

DeV.

• Advertisement

Dry your eyes mate
    I know its hard to take but youll get over it
    There plenty more Thursday Night big ones you see!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well done Careca and Ken:) Hopefully I will be telling winning tales someday too.

Sorry Careca, I meant to wish you good luck when I was walking but I was so frustrated. Just walked straight out of the place into my car and blasted Leonard Cohen.

Well played Ken and Careca (who also played pretty cool poker in the FR beforehand!). Congrats on taking money from that game, thats some achievement!

DeV.

Well done lads, very tough field last night too not just in numbers but the quality of some of the players. Every table I looked at I was thinking "Jeasus I wouldn't want to be on that table" then I looked around my table and realise it was the table from death. All the big cash game players were on it, these lads just kept blasting away with the raises. Samson was the only friendly face and he's a solid player too. Ya gotta love it though, really gets the blood pumping.

Just thinking there that that's a very odd pay-out they adopted. From what Ken says you got €300 if you came 18th and 6th only gets €500. That seams like a joke to be honest. I mean anyone who's got down that far in a tournament will realise once it gets to the last 15 runners or so it's bloody hard work. It's all-in or nothing most of the time - a really high pressure situation. Everytime a player gets knocked out you feel like you climed that little bit higher up a very big mountain. That's an awful lot of climbing to go from 18th to 6th and only recieve an extra €200 for your efforts.

yeah I was listening to the tables being called, building a mental picture of each one and from the third round it was clear table 1 was going to be ugly! Vivian was gone within what, 10 minutes? The cash player with scraggy black hair is another excellent player not to mention Mr Furlong (I knocked him out last 250 game, I'm still chuffed about it hahah). Not to mention yourself and Samson, both capable players at the worst of times!
    Normans table looked bad too (I was suprised that Paddy was gone so fast from it...)

My table was actually relatively friendly and easy going! All very tight, very few raises and lots of percentage play. BrendanB was at it and we swapped 5% if either of us won.... about 15 minutes before I got a dose of the stupids and was walking out the door!

DeV.

I heard Norm picked up pocket rockets 5 times over the evening..... and went out in about 70th place! The chap with the scraggy hair I reckon is Neil, plays the €100 omaha most nights? Funny guy, he was giving Roy the Boy some serious stick one night at a cash game, had me in stiches :p

Yeah viv was very unfortunate, second hand in 5 limpers flop comes Jack high. Early position leads out with 1000 next thing I know Noel is all-in and Vivian has called, original raisier folds pocket Q's. Vivian turns over pocket 8's make trip eight's on the flop and Noel flips pocket Jacks for trips also. Felt sorry for Vivian no player could get away from that hand. Very crafty by Noel to slow play the J's and the guy. who slow played the Q's - he did well to escape the car crash. The guy with the long black hair is Neil, was 2 to my left, classy player - didn't want to get involved in any hands with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Now that was a fun night of cards. I ended up paying 90 for my ticket when Joe O'Neill and his friend decided to stake me for the rest. I wouldn't of spent 75 earlier trying to get a ticket if I knew that.

I ended up at Norman's table , with Norman to me left and David(Teddy's son) to his left and Colette on my right. I got some decent cards at the beginning but couldn't get anyone to call my aces or AK. Hung around on 5000 or so all night going all in to take blinds when I got anything decent. Finally got called when i had AQc. Caller had KQh. He called while saying he knew he was behind. Kinda annoying when he hits his straight to the King when I only have a straight to the Q. Was annoyed with myself and the cards when leaving but there wasn't much else I could of done :(

Norman got aces five times and was fuming when they were cracked by AK. The underdog seemed to always come up trumps at that table. Looking forward to the next 270 I can play, dunno if i'm gonna be around for the next two. Monday's 50 in is gonna be fun though. Can't wait

Advertisement