Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reputation points?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It seems that points gained from people with high reputations are worth more than those gained by people with low reputations."

Presumably the reverse is also true, and that person's opinion of you isn't worth anything in VB3's eyes? :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

hostyle wrote:
    It works now but not when I posted.

I tried it just after you posted and it seemed to be working fine just before you posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

oh man, im being beaten severely with the negative karma stick :eek:

im down to my last point and i reckon im about to be sunk :o

the next person to give me negative karma will find my next post in that obituary section that was talked about ;)

naaa jk its alll good, red is in fashion anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Note to muppets who continue to give me negative feedback on this thread (fuk knows why).. unless you have a high score yourself or have been around a while it doesn't change my rep total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hobbes wrote:
    Note to muppets who continue to give me negative feedback on this thread (fuk knows why).. unless you have a high score yourself or have been around a while it doesn't change my rep total.
    Ah, I was wondering how that worked. And I thought loads of people loved me *sniff*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Well according to a page on vBulletin.com:
    • each registered member starts out with 10 karma points in their pocket
    • you can rate any post by clicking on the small reputation button
    • you can only rate each post once
    • each time you rate a post you affect that poster's karma
    • the amount that you affect their karma depends on a few things, but basically an older member with lots of posts and lots of karma will affect someone elses karma much more than a new member with no posts
    • generally someone with high karma is a respected person and someone with low or negative is either new or a jerk
    • every aspect is configurable in the cpanel

So while I'm sure DeVore et al. have configured it to suit themselves, this is basically how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

How does that effect people like Merc, Victor and Ecksor who, so it says have 0 / 1 posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

satchmo wrote:
    [*]generally someone with high karma is a respected person and someone with low or negative is either new or a jerk

Except for that, you are correct. It is too easy to abuse the system. For example on a different board I went to 44 Rep points from 14 from two positive reps. One of those people were abusing the rep system (well playing with it).

TBH I could care less about the points, what is good about the system is it allows someone to send a private message about the persons comment on a thread so they see what it is that causes offense without having the comments falling into the thread and polluting it.

Which is why I suggest a comment should be mandatory. So you know comments like "" or "HAHA!! TEKKIT!!!1" are people just messing.

Gotten 2 more gray negatives (give no points adjustments) and one red neg.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

My head hurts just thinking about it all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

BuffyBot wrote:
    My head hurts just thinking about it all :(

Damn right. Get rid of reputation I say, it only encourages posters to behave like kittens instead of tigers.

While your at it: Friends ! should go as well. A bloody waste of space IMO.

I'm not here to make friends or gain a reputation.I want to debate without fear, start controversial threads, shout and scream, let off steam, etc,etc.

Not look for brownie points or a Mr Nice Guy reputation. A load of rubbish & childish with it.

Anyone else agree with me ?... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I don't think you need to worry about any of that stuff Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Paddy20 wrote:
    I'm not here to make friends or gain a reputation.I want to debate without fear, start controversial threads, shout and scream, let off steam, etc,etc.

Not look for brownie points or a Mr Nice Guy reputation. A load of rubbish & childish with it.

[SLASHDOT] +1, insightful ;) [/SLASHDOT]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Paddy20 wrote:
    While your at it: Friends ! should go as well. A bloody waste of space IMO.
    The Friends feature is actually rather useful for sending PMs. Displaying the list publically hasn't any real practical purpose as far as I can see (which doesn't necessarily make it good or bad) but the feature itself can be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

And what's the little red or green or grey light? I didn't know I had a reputation until I clicked on the scales and found I had nine points - are they positive with one colour and negative with another, or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

seems i am boards.ie's "moderator with the baddest reputation" lol - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/memberlist.php?&order=asc&sort=reputation&pp=30&page=0

only have 2 points in total thanks to one negative and zero positive which as it seems, giving a comment to the reputation makes a bigger difference then no comment at all.

this reputation thing is funny though, there's going to be way more users posting bad reputations then good ones it seems... like people writing to the letters pages of newspapers - most of what is written is negative in some form or another (complaining about one thing or arguing another) then there are positive letters.

there should maybe be another rule if the reputation feature is to work properly - users can't give more than xx% negative repuation points without giving xx% positive reputation points to various boards.ie members...

naitkris wrote:
    this reputation thing is funny though, there's going to be way more users posting bad reputations then good ones it seems...

How do you know if reputation points are positive or negative? And how do you know what post people are reacting to? Or who's repped you - or +?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You'll see them under User CP. There will be a green dot next to positive rep, a red dot next to negative rep. A grey dot will appear next to rep that has no effect. You can see what post the rep was for by clicking on the link with the post name. You won't be able to see who gave you the reputation point.

Hmmmm, I now have only (1) reputation point ?...whats the point ROFL :p

Sorry, just noticed that should read (-1) Minus one :D Wonder is that a record, a minus reputation ?...

What's it mean, maybe I no longer exist/or I have 'passed over' to the other side ?..

• Advertisement

Stark wrote:
    You'll see them under User CP. There will be a green dot next to positive rep, a red dot next to negative rep. A grey dot will appear next to rep that has no effect. You can see what post the rep was for by clicking on the link with the post name. You won't be able to see who gave you the reputation point.

Paddy, I went to User CP and couldn't see Reputation Points anyway. Sorry if I'm being dense. Where are they?

luckat wrote:
    Paddy, I went to User CP and couldn't see Reputation Points anyway. Sorry if I'm being dense. Where are they?

They are in that silly silver flowery thingy, beside the triangle with a red border. Under your name on your post, bottom left.

Hover or click on that. To add or deduct points from someone's reputation points score.

I think that's how it works ?... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

The flowery-thing/scales-of-justice yields the information that I have 9 Reputation Points - but not whether these are positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Once its green your "good" when its red your "bad" basicly +9 is good -9 would be bad

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

AFAIK, you start off automatically with 10, so you've lost one somewhere along the line

luckat wrote:
    The flowery-thing/scales-of-justice yields the information that I have 9 Reputation Points - but not whether these are positive or negative.

They are positive, unless there is a minus - sign in front of the number AFAIK.
    I think you start with ten. Someone has already taken one off you ! What did you do wrong ?... :D Drive's you crazy, right.

Hmmmm, just noticed my reputation is now -4 points. Is someone winding me up. If so, I am not amused.

In fact. I am feckin mad :mad:

This is my last post on this damn thread :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Stark wrote:

thanks for that, stark, was just about to ask how everyone knew where they lost/gained rep points... :D

flogen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

luckat wrote:
    I didn't know I had a reputation until I clicked on the scales
    So thats what the damn icon is. :)

Advertisement