Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doom3 hardware quide

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

He meant minimal in fps terms. It will decrease loading times and stuttering due to hard disk access.
    p

Indeed, the cachine and switching between gfx mem and system memory will be greaty reduced if your playing on higher settings (least thats what i interpreted from that review/guide/whatever).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Swifty wrote:
    I've got a P4 2.6 Ghz and 512 ram and I'm hoping to get a new graphics card around the 200 euro mark. I have a Geforce FX 5200, which I know is an awful card. I'm just wondering whats the best buy? I'm leaning towards an ATI 9800 Pro? Would that be a wise buy? I just want a decent enough performance (everything on high at 800x600 at least) out of Doom 3 not everything on Ultra settings.

I am playing it on a 2.4b Pentium 4, 9800SE@9800Pro, 1024MB DDR 3200.

Runs very will at high detail at 1280x1024.....I have played it at Ultra Detail but it lags a little...If I overclocked my PC I'm sure it would be fine...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I just love the graphics card I have to see Reallife (TM).

Anyways, thanks to that guide, for Doom I know it will work on 'Medium Quality', I think that will do me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Athalon XP 2500+
    512 Dual DDR 3200
    GF 4 Ti4800SE

Medium detail, 640x480, no spectacular effects... no fps lag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

At stock speeds on my machine im running high with 1024 with 40-60fps (drops to 25 at its lowest).

Ill re-overclock it tomorrow and see what happens (had to set it back to stock to figure out a constant crashing problem which i believe has now been solved).

Overall im very happy with my gfx card (was worried it wouldnt handle it but i neednt have). The game is fantastic btw and challenging instead of stupidly difficult (on veteran). Very well thought out imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: Windows 2000/XP
    Processor: Pentium 4 1.5 GHz or Athlon XP 1500+
    Memory: 384 MB
    Free Hard Disk space: 2.2 GB of uncompressed hard disk space (plus 400 MB for Windows swap file)
    CD-ROM Drive: 8x speed
    Video Card: DirectX 9.0b compatible 64MB Hardware Accelerated video card with the latest drivers
    Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0b compatible 16-bit sound card
    Input: Windows 2000/XP compatible Keyboard & Mouse

Supported Chipsets

ATI Radeon 8500
    ATI Radeon 9000
    ATI Radeon 9200
    ATI Radeon 9500
    ATI Radeon 9600
    ATI Radeon 9700
    ATI Radeon 9800
    All nVidia GeForce 3/Ti series
    All nVidia GeForce 4MX series
    All nVidia GeForce 4/Ti series
    All nVidia GeForce FX series
    nVidia GeForce 6800

Mini specs according to CDWow...will the game really run at this? have an Creative Geforce FX5600 Ultra, Athlon XP 2800+ with sharkoon silent cooling fan and 512MB of memory! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

with sharkoon silent cooling fan :rolleyes:

OK, you have the sharkoon fan so you should be fine....

Seriously, the game seems to scale quite well. You should be able to play with some of the eye candy turned on - just say gooodbye to AA or AF along with a resolution over 1024x768.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Anandtech DOOM3 benchmark is out:
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2146&p=1

Me happy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

archive.php?date=2004-07-28

well it made me laugh.... :D

Advertisement