Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing my Video card crashes Xp constantly

Options
  • 29-07-2004 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Lo all,
    Hope ye can help..

My system;
    Asus A7N8X deluxe version 2.0 latest bios
    Not overclocked, AGP 8x enabled, Fast AGP enabled
    2x 256 CL2.5
    XP2500 Barton
    XP Corp SP1
    75gig, 80gig, 120gig, CDRW,
    DVD-ROM + 32gig on Promise U66 IDE controller
    453Watt PSU
    Norton Internetsecurity + AV, Spybot, Adware amoungst other startups.
    Using latest nForce and Detonator drivers

Problem:
    I built this system with a Geforce2 Ultra card. Everything lovely.

Bro gave me a loan of his Creative ti4200, 64meg.
    Put it in, Starting Windows comes up, screen goes black, monitor goes into power-saving mode, system hangs, never get into desktop resolution, i.e. the logon screen.

I can boot in VGA no problem at all. I see that the nVidia display driver service starts but immediately stops, causing the error.

I put back in my own card, few weeks later, then bought a 2nd hand Leadtek ti4600 a250 ultra, put it in, same issue.

I reinstalled XP over itself. I havent done a clean install, dont want to lose my apps, etc. I tried completely wiping all traces of nVidia in the registry, etc, different driver versions, etc.

Anyone got any ideas? things I could try, even how to put the nvidia driver into debug or even trace mode?

Cheers,
    James.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

its sorted....removed a promise ide controller....ok now..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I have had the same problem but with a 98oopro running windows 2000 advanced serveryou get to the CTRL+ALT +Del screen and whole locks up - removing the ATI display drivers and rebooting back into OS solves it - but you have to install the display driver each time you reboot.
    Must be a compatabilty problem with 2000 advanced server and 98oo pro - because win xp does not have this problem- :rolleyes:

Advertisement