Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS preference

Options
  • 29-07-2004 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

I'm building a new machine in the next two weeks it is to contain an Athlon 64 3500+, what OS would be of best performance for me, I mostly will be using my comp for gaming, I currently own a copy of Windows 98 SE, is it worth my while buying win xp, performance wise, forget about the money suituation.Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Richy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Some games/software is starting to apear that only works with 2000/XP and the graphics card makers ect are starting to phase out driver support.
    Im still on 98 and happy enough but Im starting to run into this more and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Why don't you get the evaluation beta version of the WIndows XP version designed specifically for the Athlon 64 chips...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

No point in having a 64bit processor if you don't have a 64 bit OS ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Win98 is only a 16-bit OS, you'd be wasting a whole lot of potential.

Afaik, there's a 64-bit version of WinXP. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

You say the machine will be used mostly for gaming, judging by the spec your building you will probable have this machine for at least 3-4 years (that is still getting good performance out of it in 3-4 years) , are you sure that new games will run on win98 in 3-4 years, its a shame to build such a high spec machine and waste it on win98, when I was running win98 (which was built on DOS) I was plagued with unreliability, I now running XP pro on a machine I built myself Much more reliable OS. XP was a complete rewrite and is there most reliable OS to date. XP also runs a better and faster File system (NTFS).
    In my opinion it’s XP (pro) all the way.
    Good Luck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh try out the new Xp 64-bit edition

it would be an awful seeing a amd64 running anything lower than xp ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

I am contemplating gettin that 64bit OS but what is the differnce between win xp (pro) and win xp (home)? Thanks
    Richy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Get 2k pro or xp pro,i found both of em good,the 64Bit os dose'nt have much driver support yet so i'd stay away from that for the time being. Not 100% sure on the differances between xp home and pro, but pro has proven to be more stable for ppl so iv read. :confused:

CC

Yeah looka like I'll be buyin win xp pro, anyone know of anywhere cheaper to buy it than this www.jes-computer.de/product_info.php?pID=9607

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

XP the 64bit edition is the best.....98 is useless....full of bugs and still running at 16bit so useless on a machine spec like this! have a similar system to wat u r going to run and XP is running sweet

Are you running the 64bit edition of win xp???

• Advertisement

Runnin XP Pro at the moment which is only 32bit....have the 64Bit eval version downloaded and prob will install this weekend if I get a chance!! Pro running nicely! 64bit should do the trick thou :D

If ya install the 64 bit edition any chance of sending me a pm on how its runnin.

No probs! will post up a reply here! will be Sunday at the earliest if I do....going on the beer after work till then anyway :D :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh, **** and all that Win98 is, it is a 32 bit OS that can run 16 bit programs.

Windows 98 isn't a true 32-bit OS. It's still a 16bit OS.
    Components of it are written in 32bit code, but it's core is 16bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stephen wrote:
    Eh, **** and all that Win98 is, it is a 32 bit OS that can run 16 bit programs.
    It's generally accepted as a virtual 32-bit OS, built on a 16-bit (MS-DOS) core. As Colm says.

WinME was a disastrously poor attempt at writing a true 32-bit OS aimed at the home user market.
    WinNT 4.0 on the other hand, released around the same time as Win95, was Microsoft's first true 32-bit Windows OS, whereas its little brother, 95, was only 16-bit.
    Why microsoft made this decision, god only knows.

The decision for 2 different trees was because of compatability and MS-DOS games couldn't runn well on NT...therefore a souped up MS-DOS was the solution.

Millennium was such a load of sh*t! Although it worked well as a test ground for some technologies that made their way into XP. Personally I've always hated Windows 9x and was delighted when we decided to stop making it and supporting it. Saves me a lot of headaches!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

-oRnein9- wrote:
    Yeah looka like I'll be buyin win xp pro, anyone know of anywhere cheaper to buy it than this www.jes-computer.de/product_info.php?pID=9607
    Don't buy windows from jes computer because it will be in German and you can't change the interface language.

I'm really beginning to enjoy this quick reply... ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Windows 3.11 should do the job nicely go with that ;)

Advertisement