Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Rules would you change...?

• 29-07-2004 11:31pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you were head of FIFA, what would you change or are you happy the way things are...?I no some people were not happy when the away goals rule came in.

One good idea would be,you should be allowed to curl the ball out of play as long as it comes back onto the pitch would make for some great corners.It would make for exciting corners just dropping the ball under the bar scare the wits out of keepers

So what would you do/undo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

..interesting one there with the corners.

this has been mentioned before by pundits, Giles i think:
    if a player commits a professional foul in the box, he should only be sent off if the resulting penalty is not scored. As the rules stand, it's a bit harsh losing a player when the opposing team scores from the spot.

I would have kept the Silver Goal rule - the old 15minx2 format is back for next world cup. Would also consider adding an extra one or two Silver Goal periods, if necessary, to avoid penalties - for the final only though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

the Offside rule , if a player is ahead of play (offside in the old rules) and is not interfearing , he may not touch the ball or influence the play in anyway until the opposition win the ball , or the ball goes out of play/ a free is given , if he does influence play it is deemed offside and an indirect free kick is given to the opposing from wherever the incident took place .

I hope that sounds clear to everyone .

I would get rid of the confederates Cup .

a vote for FIFa presidency may not be made by the entire continent/federation as a whole , and each country gets an equal vote .

£50,000 fine for any clubs tapping up players .(£50,000 for each player there caught tapping up that is)

if a club is caught tapping up 3 players or more in the last 3 years , they will be unallowed to purchase/sign players for 2 transfer windows .

rework the internationel ranking points system .

any player caught taking drugs (recreationel or performance enhacing ) or missing a drugs test will be banned for 2 years if a valid excuse is not given i.e. Davids is allowed take a banned substance because of the problem with his eyes .

agents/agent companys can make no more than 8% of a players transfer fee and may earn no more than 10% of a players wages .

one piece football kits are allowed .

note: Puma have taken FIFA to court over they're banning of Cameroon's one-piece football kit .

I might think of more later thats all for now . :)

jesus big ears, you really do wanna be head of fifa, dont ya ;)

knobbles wrote:
    ..interesting one there with the corners.

this has been mentioned before by pundits, Giles i think:
    if a player commits a professional foul in the box, he should only be sent off if the resulting penalty is not scored. As the rules stand, it's a bit harsh losing a player when the opposing team scores from the spot.

I would have kept the Silver Goal rule - the old 15minx2 format is back for next world cup. Would also consider adding an extra one or two Silver Goal periods, if necessary, to avoid penalties - for the final only though

I have to disagree with both rules there , il start with the shorter one .

I hated the silver goal rule , and I never taught the players got to grips with it , admittedly I have never watched a match with the old 15minsx2 live(too young to have seen it) but I have seen classic matches and found them much more exciting when they go into extratime . Golden goal wasnt that bad either .

Proffesionel fouls are the ones where players purposely take down other players , to try and stop them getting an advantage .i.e the last man clipping the striker as he goes by him .

If you meant regualer fouls I still disagree , because players could go in two-footed and not be sent off if the ball goes in .

I think the punishement should be either penalty/penalty and yellow card/penalty and red card depending on what position the victim of the foul was and if his route to goal was blocked by defenders . (basically how hard it would be for him to score /set up a very easy opportunity) .

I think thats all I have to say on the matter .

knobbles wrote:
    jesus big ears, you really do wanna be head of fifa, dont ya ;)

anything to get that Bastard Blatter out , even if it means me running my own campaign to make sure he dosent run unoposed :D .

• Advertisement

Big Ears wrote:
    I hated the silver goal rule , and I never taught the players got to grips with it , admittedly I have never watched a match with the old 15minsx2 live(too young to have seen it) but I have seen classic matches and found them much more exciting when they go into extratime . Golden goal wasnt that bad either .

now golden goal for me was the worst, teams were far too tense,
    and as a result negative.

for entertainment, yeah the old 15x2 is the winner, but if you're looking to avoid penalties i think silver goal periods are the way to go.

knobbles wrote:
    now golden goal for me was the worst, teams were far too tense,
    and as a result negative.

for entertainment, yeah the old 15x2 is the winner, but if you're looking to avoid penalties i think silver goal periods are the way to go.

you're first point can be quite true , but I do enjoy great defeding(of a certain , closing down harrasing other players , but not the type in Italy , sit back and just leave no space to play a good pass to set up a chance ( . (I enjoyed watching Greece this summer very much) .

we all hate when our team goes out on penalty shoot outs , but who among us dosent love them as a neutrel ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Big Ears:
    I hated the silver goal rule , and I never taught the players got to grips with it , admittedly I have never watched a match with the old 15minsx2 live(too young to have seen it) but I have seen classic matches and found them much more exciting when they go into extratime.

How could you have been too young?? The Silver Goal Rule was used in Euro 2004 only a month ago. Several games went to extra time on this rule. Most notably England vs Portugal - possibly the most fun I'v had watching a international game not involving Ireland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

I quite like the idea of fining clubs for tapping players. There's too much of this going on at the moment.

Some serious large fines should be handed out to prevent this practise either to the clubs or the agents of the players involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

cerbeus wrote:
    I quite like the idea of fining clubs for tapping players. There's too much of this going on at the moment.

That would definitely have to be one in my eyes.
    United and Real have got away with that for far to long and Chelsea seem to be at it now aswell.

If it was up to me I would bring in Video Refs aswell even if only to cut out diving. I really dont see the problem with it as it works very well in rugby. I know it mite take some of the controversary(sp) away from it but im sure you will agree (especially when its your own team) there is nothing worse than having legit goals ruled offside or players diving resulting in a peno and possibly a sending off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I would give a limit to transfer spending.This will give others a chance to catch up with Chelski instead of them spending more than all the other premiership clubs

.cerbeus wrote:

Some serious large fines should be handed out to prevent this practise either to the clubs or the agents of the players involved.

this is one of the rules on would crack down the most on if I was in FIFA .
    I know my fine was only £50,000 for a club for every player the've tapped up , but what do you think of : if a club is caught tapping up 3 players or more in the last 3 years , they will be unallowed to purchase/sign players for 2 transfer windows .

Personnally I think this would eradicate the majority of tapping up thats done .
    .Bacchus wrote:
    How could you have been too young?? The Silver Goal Rule was used in Euro 2004 only a month ago. Several games went to extra time on this rule. Most notably England vs Portugal - possibly the most fun I'v had watching a international game not involving Ireland .

you got a little confused there , I never said I didnt watch a silver goal rule game , I said i never saw the old style of just 15 minutes and two halfs , with no Golden or Silver goal rule .

re-read the post and you'll probably realise where you went wrong .
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd radically overhaul the qualification process for European national sides when it comes to European/World Cup qualifers.

If I had my way there would be system of 7 qual groups x 5 teams where the top 28 european nations are seeded and the other 22 (or so) also-rans (such as Luxembourg, Liechtenstein .... N.Ireland ;) etc) have to fight it out the final 7 spots through a series of pre-qualifiers. This would be similar to the Champions League format except the pre-qualfiers would be done in groups of 3-4 teams rather than cup format.

Once the final 35 teams had been resolved the winners and runners-up of the 7 groups would qualify automatically for the finals after playing a max of 8 games.

Benefits
    1. The crappy nations get a good run out against teams of their own level.
    2. The number of games played by top nations would be reduced.
    3. The number of walkover games would be reduced.
    4. The plays offs would be scrapped.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I'd like to see shirt pulling made an instant booking. It's the trademark of the truly inept defender who knows he's beaten, and resorts to desperately flailing for a handful of shirt instead.

I'd also like to see a more sensible approach towards fouls on the goalkeeper. At the moment the keeper always gets the benefit of the doubt, even if he has fumbled the ball and not been fouled at all. I'd like to see some kind of aerial challenge allowed on the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Instead of having a video ref I would like to see the governing bodies being able to award yellow cards for diving after the match. One yellow card for each dive which is clear from the video evidence.

This could only work in top games that actually have video evidence but I think it would cut out the diving and not delay the game and/or undermine the referee like an instant video-ref would.

Imposter wrote:
    Instead of having a video ref I would like to see the governing bodies being able to award yellow cards for diving after the match. One yellow card for each dive which is clear from the video evidence.

This could only work in top games that actually have video evidence but I think it would cut out the diving and not delay the game and/or undermine the referee like an instant video-ref would.

but how would players like Deco , Robben , C.Ronaldo be able to play any games at all if their constantly picking up 7 or 8 yellow cards after the match is over ? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Anyone seen - www.minds.may.ie/~dez/italy.mpg - Hilarious :) .

One thing I'd change is that I would definitely allow goal-line camera's, in order to sort out any "was the ball over the line incidents". Also, I'd like to see a lot more involvement of video evidence for divers and other types of cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Big Ears wrote:
    but how would players like Deco , Robben , C.Ronaldo be able to play any games at all if their constantly picking up 7 or 8 yellow cards after the match is over ? :p

Not to mention, Pires, Viera, Owen, Kewell, Van Nist etc... All of Greece and watch out for Cyprus the worst offenders in the world.

Personally I'd like to see a video referee brought in but should only be used for serious offences like professional fouls, penalty decisions and sending offs. Incidents that decide matches and let's be fair incidents like these do only happen on average less than one per game. It wouldn't slow things down too much.

They need to sort out the offside trap and just leave it the way it used to be. They could have 4 linesmen in total and in order for an offside to be called both linesmen have to agree to it. This would cut dodgy decisions in half.

As for golden goal, silver goal whatever, I'd love to see it go straight to penalties. The onlyreason I watch extra time is in the hope taht there will be penalties. They really sort the men from the boys.

well I was just pointing out the main offenders of diving .
    Vieira dosent dive and those other players you named have seemed to cut that part out of their game ,except van Nistelrooy who seemed to be at it again for Holland .

The Grecce team wearnet divers , I swear everyone has a grudge against them because they played an unattractive(in a lot of peoples opinion , but not mine) style of football .

Cyprus I havent seen play for a few years .

• Advertisement
Advertisement