Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Over Clock a Laptop?

Options
  • 30-07-2004 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can you tell me how to over-clock a laptop. If there is any good links or toutorials to do this?

Thanks Alot,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

That's not exaclty what I am looking for, thanks anyway. But, I would like a direct link to a toutorial site for LAPTOP OVER-CLOCKING, anyone have any links or guides?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

should be exactly the same as a normal desktop except for the problem of having very little cooling, so if you just google or check any hardware site you should find a guide their. their should be a list of hardware sites in a sticky at the top of this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

depends on the bios that you are running and the cpu and cooling is you have crappy cooling i won't even bother

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

You'll find 99.999999999999999% of laptops don't give you any options in the BIOS for bumping up the FSB, changing CPU voltages or changing memory timings. So just how you would go about overclocking with any relative ease I don't know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Most manufactures like Hp,dell, they have not got overclocking options in the bios i won't even waist my time trying to overclock it because you will need better cooling otherwise you will be crashing constantly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Which is what I just said

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You might be able to overclock the graphics processor by a few percent depending on what you have..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

it's a laptop, it's a power saving mobile device
    to overclock it would make into a power hungry, hotter, mobile device
    doesnt become very mobile then because you will need it plugged in constantly to keep it running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Ive just started to think about this lately, I have a laptop thats about 4 years old now and Im startin to wonder what up grades are possible.

But in my experiance I rarely use the battery, portable for me, means being able to up and go usually to a place where there is a socket available.

First Im gonna try and see what is the highest speed processer my mobo can handle, and if its possible just to switch chips. Then after that maybe weather or not its possible to do a gfx upgrade.And maybe a hdrive up grade depending.

Afaik, depending on your laptop it may be possible to flash your bios, but I havent really looked into this yet.If its possible to get that far, then it shouldnt be too much hassle to up grade your cooler.

http://tuxmobil.org/disassembly_laptop.html

http://www.laptopmods.com/index.php

These two should be a help for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Thanks alot for all the replies guys, I am thinking about it and don't think I will do it, cos my laptop can get very hot as it is. anymore and it's will crash constatly.

Anyway, Thanks again!!

Advertisement