Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video with messenger

• 30-07-2004 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40

Not all ISPs can handle video calls with Windows Messenger. It uses an unusual protocol, SIP, apparently. I'm with IBB and I tried to have a call with an Eircom ADSL customer but got an SIP error message.

So a quick poll:

1) Have you succeeded in video conferencing with someone?

2) What ISP were you both using?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I have, on a few occasions managed to get VC working on IBB. The other was using BT Broadband in England. The problem I have is that my router doesn't like all the UPnP settings that MSN uses and only sometimes do the ports for Video conferencing actually work. It's a linksys router.

If you are not using a router, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to use it, I would suggest ringing (not e-mailing) IBB and asking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi
    I use this quite often MSN Messenger and VC is great, I am on EastBT BB
    I can use at least 4 maybe 5 times a week with only a breakdown once a week, Lastnight was a little slow ut otherwise great :D

I think the guys in the UK are on AOL but the guys in the US and Canada i have no idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

Yep we've had it running fine over messenger and on UTV Clicksilver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

mnolan wrote:
    Not all ISPs can handle video calls with Windows Messenger. It uses an unusual protocol, SIP, apparently. I'm with IBB and I tried to have a call with an Eircom ADSL customer but got an SIP error message.
    I'd be really surprised if that was an ISP problem - it's much more likely to be a problem with the way the Eircom customers "modem" is configured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mnolan wrote:

So a quick poll:

1) Have you succeeded in video conferencing with someone?

2) What ISP were you both using?

Thanks,

Mark

Sip really isn't that unusual...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

We are eircom business broadband customers and VC over any messenger or confrencing software works perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 mnolan

Thanks for all the replies. I must be just unlucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I hate routers. The problem lies solely in your router. You just have to make sure its all set up right, and because MSN Messenger uses random ports (why random ports i ask!?!?) you either have to open everything, OR use uPNP.

A friend of mine refuses to change settings in his router, in case a hacked hacks him. (i'll not comment on the legions of spyware installed on his computer...), and so he can't use MSN voice, video, or game online.

He also firmly believes its my computers fault :rolleyes: even though i can chat and video with other people... I'm with IBB

Advertisement