Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roche mark III - another pro

Options
  • 30-07-2004 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

Nicholas Roche son of, well you know who, has by all accounts been offered a stagerie place with the Division 1 team Cofodis with a view to a pro contract next year. A big talent with the right genes he should make it, and the irish contingent in the Pro ranks continues to swell.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

from todays times and irishcycling.com

PRO TRIAL FOR ROCHE
    By Shane Stokes
    Jul 30, 2004,

Email this article
    Printer friendly page
    Promising young Irish rider Nicolas Roche looks to be on the way to following his father Stephen’s footsteps into the professional ranks following the news that he has been awarded a trial with the French Cofidis team.

The 20 year old has recorded a string of good results this season and recently attended a one week training camp with the first division squad. Following that try-out, he has been invited to take part in professional races with them this September as a stagiaire.

Should he ride well during the trial period, he should have a good chance of gaining a pro contract for 2005.

Before then, the European championships in early August will offer Roche a chance to get a good early result and so take the pressure off. ‘They are certainly a target for me,’ he says. ‘I heard they are going to be on a rolling course and so I hope that will be very suitable for me. So too the world championships in Verona in October…in fact, they may be even better again because usually I am always very good at the end of the year.’

‘I’ve heard that the course is very difficult there; from the sounds of it, the length of the climb is perfect for me. I think the hill is five or six kilometres and that is my ideal distance for climbing. I’m looking forward to it. Certainly if I do a ride there or at the Europeans it will help me get a deal for 2005.’

Roche competes in France with the VC La Pomme squad. Earlier this season team-mate Philip Deignan was offered a two year deal with the Ag2R team for 2005 and 2006, following the same route into the paid ranks as the now second-year professional Mark Scanlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Notice also that the British junior RR champion is Daniel Martin, who just happens to be the nephew of, yes, you guessed it, Stephen Roche!! (His sister's kid)

Advertisement