Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prefered Browser

Options
  • 30-07-2004 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi

Was wondering which is the prefered browser about and which would you consider the best? hate using IE6.0 but not sure if there is anything else on the market that can compete! used to use Netscape Navigator but seems to have gone downhill in the last while.....is Firefox or Opera worth a look at instead of IE???

DOWN WITH MICROSOFT!! still have to use XP though :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Have been using Firefox for a couple of weeks and have to say it is a joy to use, cannot fault it it is a real FREE contender.

Bring on 1.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Firefox was an improvement in every way when I moved over from IE6. You will never use IE again (except for those 1% of poorly designed websites that refuse to run in anything else bar IE....grrrr :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Firefox kicks IE's ass.
    Even the Microsoft-owned slate admits it.

Move to firefox. Keep IE for Windows update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

robbie1876 wrote:
    Firefox was an improvement in every way when I moved over from IE6. You will never use IE again (except for those 1% of poorly designed websites that refuse to run in anything else bar IE....grrrr :mad: )

This is the problem....use IE in work because I have to with our internal crappy sites and so on! but is there only 1% of sites that dont work or is it a bigger margain?

Does Firefox replace IE but leave it on the system so u can use if there is one of these sites you need to view?

seamus wrote:
    Firefox kicks IE's ass.

Question answered! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Firefox! minimum of 10 characters junk text here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I have tried a good few browsers, and although Firefox is good....I think maxthon (www.maxthon.com) is just as good, and it has the must have feature of tabbed browsing.
    Additionally, it won't break your access to IE only sites because it uses the IE APIs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Uninstalled IE completely -
    Using Firefox and netscape 7.1 at the mo

I must say, with Netscape 7.1 - netscape have gone back to basics and done what they originally did best - make a frickin great borwser.
    When netscape 6.0 launched i hated it - it sucked and was really slow.
    but - 7.1 is 10 times the browser ie6 is.

use it's mail client as well
    Have not had a virus since canning IE and Outlook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

seamus wrote:
    Firefox kicks IE's ass.

Actually - get rid of Ie - download mozilla 1.4 - it has an Ident preference - you can set it to tell sites that it is IE :):) now that's a feature

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I have tried a good few browsers, and although Firefox is good....I think maxthon (www.maxthon.com) is just as good, and it has the must have feature of tabbed browsing.
    Additionally, it won't break your access to IE only sites because it uses the IE APIs.

I used it back when it was called MyIE - lovely browser, but firefox seems to be faster for me if nothing else. I do miss one MyIE feature though - renaming my tabs... having a dozen "boards.ie/vbulletin-..." tabs is quite annoying at times :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

i have taken a liking to opera browser much better than IE crappy ms rubbish full of exploits and bugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

A lot of people are moving to firefox precisely to get away from the IE APIs - using Firefox is a good first step in stopping all kinds of spywayre from getting on your computer.

Think I am going to give Firefox a bash! sick of IE and promised myself I would never use Outlook after college and to tis day I havent and never will! buggy piece of crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

DOWN WITH MICROSOFT!! still have to use XP though :(
    Why?

I use XP because it is currently my favourite OS - but you don't HAVE to use it (unless you're on some kind of PC that's not your own) - you could use one of the many flavours of linux out there, or Windows 2000 or whatever else floats your boat.

Stephen wrote:
    Why?

I use XP because it is currently my favourite OS - but you don't HAVE to use it (unless you're on some kind of PC that's not your own) - you could use one of the many flavours of linux out there, or Windows 2000 or whatever else floats your boat.

Its called a joke!! u work for Microsoft? haha....Im wit IBM and we hate Microsoft! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I actually think Windows XP is a pretty good OS. Not much of an improvement over Windows 2000 at the moment though. Although SP2 for Windows XP should change that.

On the browser front, has anyone recommended Mozilla Firefox yet? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stark wrote:
    I actually think Windows XP is a pretty good OS. Not much of an improvement over Windows 2000 at the moment though. Although SP2 for Windows XP should change that.
    Agreed. I use XP Pro at home and win2k Pro in work. For all intents and purposes, they're indentical except for some tiny nuances. Even more so when you use the Classic theme on XP like I do.

Doesnt nobody understand that I was takin da p**s!! like XP as an OS...have it runnin at work and Home PC....have 2000 on laptop! anything after 98 is decent from microsoft!! 98 and before that where useless! blue screen of death every 5 mins

only thing I dont like about Windows is IE...(which this thread is about) and outlook which I never use!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

will firefox run on win 98?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

will firefox run on win 98?
    According to the hardware specs on the firefox site (http://getfirefox.com), it will.
    I used it back when it was called MyIE - lovely browser, but firefox seems to be faster for me if nothing else. I do miss one MyIE feature though - renaming my tabs... having a dozen "boards.ie/vbulletin-..." tabs is quite annoying at times
    Get the TabBrowser Extension (here: http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_tabextensions.html.en). It makes Mozilla or Firefox act like it's tabs are on high grade hallucinogens! :) One of the features is that you can rename a tab, lik you said. Just right click on the tab, and select 'Set Label'.

To quote The Book Of Mozilla*:
    And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced. But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird. The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror.

G'wan the Firefox!

* To view the Book of Mozilla in Firefox (and Mozilla, AFAIK), just enter about:mozilla in the address bar. In IE it gives a fake blue sceen of death AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

Im using Firefox atm, its great, IE is good too but too much of a security issue

Get the TabBrowser Extension (here: http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul...ensions.html.en). It makes Mozilla or Firefox act like it's tabs are on high grade hallucinogens! One of the features is that you can rename a tab, lik you said. Just right click on the tab, and select 'Set Label'.

There are stability problems with Tabbrowser Extensions:
    This extension sometimes causes crush when you show popup menus, load webpages, or operate tabs, because it intrudes into operations about loading pages, showing popups, add/remove tabs, etc. Please don't use it if you would like to use stable browser.

There's Tabbrowser Preferences which is stable and gives you a few of the features of tabbrowser extensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

robbie1876 wrote:

I find firefox when idle after lets say an hour or so, it takes a good few secs(about 15secs) to restore itself, alot of activity on the hard disk.

Also a few sites dont work properly with it, the TSB banking online dont work properly with it ,missing stuff on webpage and the login details for banking is in different part of webpage !

Also the betting page from paddypower with lottery games dont work at all when selecting numbers and the placing bet!

And particularly those ones posted in the humour forum, example -linkshere amongst others.

Thought firefox would be able to handle big sites that have catered for them ?

And I still have problem with bookmarks not alphabeticaly listed ! :)

Also on the reply page here, if I put mouse over 'insert image' and move mouse to the right, the 'insert image' yellow box is still displayed and not changed !
    All in all, its a great browser, think it needs a bit more work though.
    l

Well it is pre-release. The amount of bug fixes going into the next release is astonishing (about 10, sometimes 20 a day) - http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

In all fairness.. Why is everyone harping on about Firefox.. I made the switch from IE to Opera about 6 months ago and wouldnt dare look back.. I also tried Firehox out during that period and its ****ing horrible.. The main thing it offers that differs from IE6 is tabs.. Opera offers tabs but also uses mouses gestures along with other cool usabilty features...

OPERA all the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Both Firefox and Opera are RAM whores, which is why they take so long to resume. IE6 is also a ram whore, but certain components of it load with windows, so it doesn't appear to be so bad.

I think Opera is something you either love or hate. Firefox is lighter, but once you add the extensions you can make it better than Opera. Of course that reduces the point of it though, because it drasticly increases the system footprint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

IE For Me!!

Advertisement