Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prefered Browser

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭MrVestek

MyIE2 (now maxthon) has tabs and plugins and mouse gestures and lots more besides. I know it's run off of IE apis but i mean its not that bad, and it does manage to speed them up quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wonder can it be hacked to use Gecko? :) There's a mozilla activeX control available: http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm . You can get Sharpreader to use Gecko instead of IE using it and a hack available off http://www.grack.com/news/SharpreaderviaMozilla.html :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Also the betting page from paddypower with lottery games dont work at all when selecting numbers and the placing bet!

And particularly those ones posted in the humour forum, example -linkshere amongst others.
    That site worked fine with me on firefox 0.8. Do you have the flash plugin installed?

Plugin install is a still a weak area of Mozilla and Firefox unfortunately. It's being worked on for the next Firefox release though, so plugins should be installed seamlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Anyone try 4c vision, It looks impressive. Advent Looks good as well.
    But I’m still using IE6, Its just a bad habit. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Syth wrote:
    That site worked fine with me on firefox 0.8. Do you have the flash plugin installed?

Still nothing happens when I select numbers or on quick select @ paddypower.

I have flash installed, problem is some flash works and some don't, is there a way to find out which is not installed?
    Just installed version 0.91, same probs exist.

For ex @ open24 goto login page and new page appears(no account needed).
    It is totally different in firefox than in IE !

Type about:plugins into the URL bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Mozilla 1.7b

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Both Firefox and Opera are RAM whores, which is why they take so long to resume. IE6 is also a ram whore, but certain components of it load with windows, so it doesn't appear to be so bad.

Opera 7.5 now has a significantly improved memory footprint, but it is still slightly higher than Firefox.
    daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Actually, Opera is free. You can choose to pay if you want to, or accept a small google ad in the corner, much the same as the ones you see here on Boards.

To be honest, if you're thinking of moving from IE, its probably because of its horrible lack of features. Thats where Opera really comes in first - more secure, tabbed browsing, excellent download interface, password management, browser identity options... it has everything. And its not as if everything is thrown straight in your face - any hardened IE user could easily pick up Opera and navigate straight away without noticing any of the additional features.

Thats what makes Opera the best browser on the market. Sure, it has features you may not need. But if you didn't want features, and you didn't want security, you could just use IE! Does that make IE the best browser on the market? I don't think so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Operas more recent versions have a very discreet ad bar which is only 1 cm deep running across the top, in truth you hardly notice it after 10 mins. Lastest version is now 7.53 btw.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I would considere a program/product not free if it has adverts embeded in it, I would consider it a form of shareware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Stark wrote:
    Type about:plugins into the URL bar.

File name: NPSWF32.dll
    Shockwave Flash 5.0 r41

this correct one i suppose ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

gurramok wrote:
    File name: NPSWF32.dll
    Shockwave Flash 5.0 r41

this correct one i suppose ?
    yes - you need to update that with the latest version available from macromedia's website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

i prefer internet explorer

i tried firefox and it didnt work on a site or two, so i uninstalled

Advertisement