Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambitious Final Year Project (at least i think it is!)

Options
  • 30-07-2004 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm going into 3rd year in september and for my final year project i have this mad crazy notion of doing a web browser (in java) for a series 60 phone (namely an n-gage or a 6600). I got the idea when trying surf the net on my 3510i and its a good excuse to buy myself a new phone ;)

So essentially what i'm looking for is:
    • Resources for coding on a series 60 (i've trudged through loads of symbian websites but if anyone knows a definitive good one i'd be much obliged)
    • Resources on designing (and coding with examples if possible) a web browser
    • Anything else that'd be useful

I plan on using MMC cards for storage and more than likely GPRS for connecting (if i can support bluetooth i will). I was thinking of looking at some of the open source linux browsers out there [EDIT] for references! [/EDIT] but i cant find any actual source code (i just cant google properly for the life of me).

I know this is very ambitious but its something i want to do. Yeah, crazy, i know :p

Thanks

Darren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

here might be a good place to start...

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

WAP broser for linux
    SUN HotJava browser

would be a another good place to start. I'd imagine that the biggest problem will be choosing what formats and standards to support given the memory,screen and processor limitations. Dont commit to too much - you have other things to do next year as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Q_Ball wrote:
    Hey folks,

I'm going into 3rd year in september and for my final year project i have this mad crazy notion of doing a web browser (in java) for a series 60 phone (namely an n-gage or a 6600). I got the idea when trying surf the net on my 3510i and its a good excuse to buy myself a new phone ;)

So essentially what i'm looking for is:
    • Resources for coding on a series 60 (i've trudged through loads of symbian websites but if anyone knows a definitive good one i'd be much obliged)
    • Resources on designing (and coding with examples if possible) a web browser
    • Anything else that'd be useful

I plan on using MMC cards for storage and more than likely GPRS for connecting (if i can support bluetooth i will). I was thinking of looking at some of the open source linux browsers out there [EDIT] for references! [/EDIT] but i cant find any actual source code (i just cant google properly for the life of me).

I know this is very ambitious but its something i want to do. Yeah, crazy, i know :p

Thanks

Darren

Nothing at all wrong with having an ambitious project, I did in third year (last year). Not many people thought I could do it, but I managed to prove them wrong (to a certain degree). The best part of an ambitious project is that if its a good enough idea it might even have commercial value when done.

The hardest part, though, is that you really do need to be sure that you can pull it off. An ambitious project is a real test on your skills not only as a programmer, but also as an analyst and designer. Always, always bear the razor in mind.

Hope you manage it... Good luck and Godspeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Definitley a very hard project, depening on how in depth you decide to go i guess.

I made a java game for a midp 2.0 enabled phone last year for my third year project and it was tough going on my own for the first time so to speak.

I haven't decided what to do my FYP on yet...i'm wanting to use OpenGL and a database....possibly feed in plans to a house...then show a 3D model of it and the database will then calculate from the dimensions what raw material you will need and the amount off... very early days yet but nothing like getting a head start.

Let us know how your getting on anyway i have a lot of stuff on J2ME and mobiles saved on the computer from last year if you want it send me a pm also the nokia 6600 or sone ericsson k700i are the best fones to work with IMO

Farlz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Important thing here would be to not make your web-browser too ambitious to quickly.

Start off parsing one or two simple HTML commands that control text. Then build up to support all text formatting commands. Once you have that, start parsing simple graphics commands so you can place an image in the text.

Personally I would leave things like tables and layers, but if you have the above done you could start messing around with them after.

• Advertisement
Advertisement