Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Third Qualifying Round

• 30-07-2004 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭

Some of the bigger ties:
    Liverpool v AK Graz
    Man Utd v Zilina or Dinamo Bucherest
    Hadjuk Split or Shelbourne v Deportivo La Coruna
    Basel v Inter Milan
    Wit Georgia or Wilsa Krakow v Real Madrid

Note:Not all are in home and away order.

A toughie for Shels if they get by but it will attract a lot of fans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just beat me to it.

Nice draw for Shels if they can get through to that round next wednesday.

I think Manchester United will get through, lathough Liverpool could slip up against Sturm Graz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

seansouth wrote:
    I think Manchester United will get through, lathough Liverpool could slip up against Sturm Graz.

Yeah a fairly easy draw for Man Utd and Liverpool are playing AK Graz who are Sturm Graz's nearest rivals

Sorry, I thought AK were Sturm.

I wouldn't say Man Utd have an easy draw...no easy games and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Full Draw

AK Graz v Liverpool
    Juventus v Djurgarden/Kaunas
    Tirana/Ferencvaros v APOEL/Sparta Prague
    Rosenborg/Sheriff v M Haifa
    Bayer Leverkusen v Banik
    Neftchi/CSKA Moscow v Rangers
    Pyunik/Shakhtar v Brugge/Loko Plovdiv
    Dynamo Kiev v Skonto/Trabzonspor
    YB/Crvena Zvezda v PSV Eindhoven
    Zilina/Dinamo Bucharest v Manchester United
    Basle v Inter Milan
    Benfica v Anderlecht
    Deportivo v Hajduk Split/Shelbourne
    PAOK v HJK/M Tel-Aviv
    Gorica/Copenhagen v Monaco
    WIT/Wisla v Real Madrid

Rangers have the worst draw...haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Utd will have it difficult if they have to travel to romania.

I hope shels can beat split. we might see them in lansdowne road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'm glad Shels got Depor, if it had been Man U or Liverpool the home fans would have been drowned out by the "away" contingent.

All of course dependant on them advancing to the third round...

we might see them in lansdowne road!

Sorry, but Shelbourne's home ground is Tolka Park.

Forza Shels

****in hell.

Tolka park hold 12-15 thousand, i think you may see a few more people wanting to attend this one seeing as its depor and not cork city. In this case i would imagine they will move it from tolka.

I think you may be over-estimating the capacity of Tolka there, but anyway.

A couple of points about moving the game.

1. It would alienate the real Shelbourne fans, who attend games week-in week-out, I see no reason why the fair weather "fans" should be accommodated, they don't care about Shelbourne, or Irish football at all, if they did they would attend eircom League games on a regular basis.

2. The attendance for the last round home leg in Tolka Park was no where near capacity, it remains to be seen how many actually go to Tolka for the home leg of the Split game. The game against KR Reykjavik was the biggest game in Irish football so far this season, and people didn't bother to turn up to a game in which Shelbuorne were expected to qualify. Now they have a great chance to qualify for the next round on Wednesday, I wonder how many will turn out for a game in which they are not expected to win, let alone qualify for the next round from. I cannot see people turning up to a game against Depor in which Shelbourne will in all probabilty take a severe beating.

A point in the argument for moving the game.

1. Money

I totally agree with what your saying sean and i will freely admit that i would be among the ranks of fair weather Eircom league supporters.

However
    Originally posted by seansouth
    A point in the argumentfor moving the game.

1. Money

will be the deciding factor, or at least i hope it will. Shels and the likes need as much income as possible. This tie against Depor if handled correctly could generate revenue upwards of 500k, huge for a club like shels.

• Advertisement

hugs for a club like shels.

Thanks for the hugs!

seansouth wrote:
    Thanks for the hugs!

guesswho.jpg

wachoo talkin bout willis ;)

[img]Last edited by midget lord : Today at 12:44.[/img]

aaagh...you edited it????

Sly eye

edited what old bean????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Bayer Leverkusen v Banik , could be a very interesting tie , Baink are the Czech champions , and Heinz plays for them .(the player so many of us said should of come on for Nedved instead of Smicer in the Greece game ) .

Ostrava are a quality side and it wouldnt suprise me if they won .
    AK Graz are the Austrian champions and are better than Stuarm at the moment.

Rangers could be out and what looks like a Copenhagon V Monaco tie could very interesting indeed . (as in the runner up may not even make the competition proper ) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I read a couple of months back somewhere that the Liverpool and ManU Champions League Qualifiers would be live on ITV :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If Shels beat Hadjuk, they are guaranteed 4 more games. The losers of the round 3 qualifiers go straight into the UEFA cup proper.

eirebhoy wrote:
    If Shels beat Hadjuk, they are guaranteed 4 more games. The losers of the round 3 qualifiers go straight into the UEFA cup proper.

4 more games?

Does the first round of the UEFA cup have groups of 3?

[nitpick mode] Its Hajduk, pronounced "highduck" [/nitpick mode]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Maybe Im wrong but doesnt the UEFA cup go into that league thing this year? thats what eireboy means

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

They have every chance of doing it IMO. If they perform like Cork City did then they should do it.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    4 more games?

Does the first round of the UEFA cup have groups of 3?
    No the group stages start in the 2nd round.

eirebhoy wrote:
    No the group stages start in the 2nd round.

Well, how are they guaranteed 4 more games then?

surely they will play one round in a home/away leg?

Em sorry...sorry

Yeah, 2 games aginst Depor, and two against the team in the UEFA....sorry!

seansouth wrote:
    Em sorry...sorry

Yeah, 2 games aginst Depor, and two against the team in the UEFA....sorry!

and if they win the UEFA tie they would be guarenteed four more games after that .

Which would give Shels a massive amount of money for a LOI side .

That would be 10 European games alltogether , something that you would rarely think could be done by an Irish side .

Big Ears wrote:
    and if they win the UEFA tie they would be guarenteed four more games after that .

Which would give Shels a massive amount of money for a LOI side .

But before all that, they have to actually get a win against Split on wednesday.

seansouth wrote:
    But before all that, they have to actually get a win against Split on wednesday.

I know , I was getting a bit ahead of myself :o .

but a 1-0 win against split , could really get them a lot more games in Europe if they beat the first side they get in the UEFA CUP , or dare I say , it , get into the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE !!! :D .

Getting into the Chapions League would only give them as many games as if they got to the second round of the UEFA CUP , but im sure the revenue would be much higher .

how much does a club earn by progressing into the Champions League proper these days .

I remember when Newcastle were beaten in the 3rd Qualifying Round last season, the club said they lost approx £10m by failing to qualify. I know, you can't compare them sizewise with Shels but still.

Last season UEFA paid out a total of €415m to the 32 clubs who took part from the group stages onwards.

Thats the figure alright. They say it generates additional revenue of 10m sterling, through UEFA, TV rights and additional gate receipts. Who knows, if they got there maybe their jerseys will appear in more of the so called sports shops in town.

Thats the figure alright. They say it generates additional revenue of 10m sterling, through UEFA, TV rights and additional gate receipts. Who knows, if they got there maybe their jerseys will appear in more of the so called sports shops in town.
    Believe me, if Shels qualified for the group stages they would be earning nowhere near £10m. The £10m was an estimate for Newcastle. Teams get around £500k for every win and Newcastle have a capacity of over 50,000 with the ticket prices a lot more expensive than Shels. Newcastle would earn approximately 10 times more than Shels on gate receipts alone.

/edit, just noticed your talking about Newcastle. :p

• Advertisement

Believe me, if Shels qualified for the group stages they would be earning nowhere near £10m. The £10m was an estimate for Newcastle. Teams get around £500k for every win and Newcastle have a capacity of over 50,000 with the ticket prices a lot more expensive than Shels. Newcastle would earn approximately 10 times more than Shels on gate receipts alone.

Here's the facts from last season from the UEFA site:

Fixed amounts:
    The distribution of the revenue generated by UEFA from television rights and sponsorship deals is split among the participating clubs according to fixed amounts including
    a starting bonus (€1.6m);
    a match bonus in group matches (€328,000),
    a performance bonus in group matches (€328,000 per win, €164,000 per draw);
    a knockout round bonus (€1.64m);
    a quarter-final bonus (€1.97m);
    a semi-final bonus (€2.6m);
    €3.9m for the runner-up
    €6.6m for the winner.

Market pool:
    Added to this is the market pool, which is distributed according to the proportional value of each TV market represented by the clubs taking part, and is split among the number of teams participating from a given association. Half of this amount per market is split among the clubs based on their performance in the previous domestic league championship and the other half is paid in proportion to the number of matches played by each team in the season's Champions League.

Grassroots support:
    In addition UEFA's 52 member associations will benefit financially from the solidarity payments made by UEFA to all associations to support grassroots football, and to those associations of clubs who were knocked out before the group stage of the Champions League, or eliminated in the second round of the UEFA Cup or before.

The market pool is the big one. Porto received €19m from it in total last season as winners but Monaco got €26.4m as runners-up. Arsenal, ManU and Chelsea earned even more. The main reason being because of the higher value of their TV market. That aspect is what would diminish Shels potential earnings - even more so than the attendances.

But still they'd earn a hefty fee , and with the money they would win , they could dominate Irish football for years . (finniacially anyway) .

Im sure they would also inherit a lot of fans , raising revenue eaven further .

So, should they move it to Landsdowne or croke park ;)

But still they'd earn a hefty fee

Thats right. I reckon €3.4m even if they lost all six group matches. And then they would get some of the market pool on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

lets not get ahead of ourselfs with all this talk about Champions League Proper. they havent even beaten Splits yet. I really hope they do it. It will be a brilliant season for Eircom League sides in Europe with Cork City making the Quater Finals and Shels facing Depor in Round 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

It would be definitely moved to Landsdowne. Either that or Ollie would charge €50 into Tolka. Although we are getting ahead of ourselves, this is the closest any league club has gone to this kind of money, and the above posters are right, Shels would dominate for at least 5 seasons with their earnings. They already have the best squad, they would actually be able to pay them to boot. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Big Ears wrote:
    AK Graz are the Austrian champions and are better than Stuarm at the moment.
    Sturm are crap at the moment. Austria Vienna are the big team at the moment with GAK. Vienna have the money but GAK are performing better. In saying that though I seen Salzburg play half a Parma team last year in the Uefa Cup and Parma beat them 4-1 without getting up a sweat.

The Austrian league is not very good at the moment so there should be no hassles there for Liverpool (although it would be nice ;) ).

Advertisement