Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your favourite PC MAGAZINE?

Options
  • 30-07-2004 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Ok what is your favourite PC MAGAZINE?

Mine would have to be PC EXTREME
    Great mag wit lots of reviews on hardware software games, tips on hacking modding…it’s the one for me
    The only mag iv seen that is not dry and blam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Haven't bought a PC/Games magazine in a few years now - they're overpriced and outdated - they just can't keep up with the 'net.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Custom PC is good, but overpriced for the amount of pages it has.

As a more general PC mag - Computer Shopper or PCPro.

I wouldn't waste money on games mags as I never agree with the reviews...

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

Why are u buying PC/Game magazines when you apparently can access the internet? :rolleyes:

Duh. 'cos I don't sit at a computer 24 hours a day? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Also you cant read the ''internet'' while lying in bed......unless you have a laptop i suppose....neway CustomPC i find is a good mag :)

CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

ChipZilla wrote:
    Duh. 'cos I don't sit at a computer 24 hours a day? :rolleyes:

Looks like you have been for that last 18 min at least. Who else would buy a PC magazine on a regular basis other then a computer geek.

But why limit yourself to 1 opinion in a mag when you can check any number of reviews online. Plus you can choose the stuff your actually interested in and not pay for volumes of garbage.

I reckon PC Mags are on the way out

Prosta wrote:
    Looks like you have been for that last 18 min at least. Who else would buy a PC magazine on a regular basis other then a computer geek.

A computer geek? Right. Like someone who wanted to mod a gigabit switch maybe?
    Prosta wrote:
    I reckon PC Mags are on the way out

Good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

AS the topic states what is your fav pc mag!!! Not I hate mags and don’t care about other peoples opinions. I do not sit in front of the screen 24/7 so its handy to av a mag wit me (on bus climbing everest and so on)

Oh marvel is making all there comic characters into big movies so I think comics are on the way out (keep your ramblings to your self)…. Your comments are as useful as a chocolate kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

where are you's all buying customPC i'd love to read it as it looks good.

i tried easons but it ain't there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I get PCZone....i know it will always lag behind d'internet for freshness but i believe, for the most part, that the quality of writing is far superior. Enjoy their hardware reviews most of all.

I also get my hand on CustomPC from time to time. I find it quite expensive for what you get, although i do like some of the simple guides. Got this months issue yesterday and i'm feeling a little disapointed....not up to there usual standard. I quite like the beat the office PC bit as you see some extreme overclocking....

p

• Advertisement

Cr3m0 wrote:
    where are you's all buying customPC i'd love to read it as it looks good.

i tried easons but it ain't there :o

I get it on subscription - send an email to custompc@cisubs.co.uk to get details.
    pekelly wrote:
    I quite like the beat the office PC bit as you see some extreme overclocking....

I've got a dual xeon machine I'm in the process of souping up for 'beat the office', but there's some scary competition. :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ChipZilla wrote:
    I've got a dual xeon machine I'm in the process of souping up for 'beat the office', but there's some scary competition. :eek: :eek:

The current leader has a 3.4GHz Intel Pentium EE clocked at 4.29!!!! using a Mach II from nVentiv and Asetek Waterchill....You'll want to do some amount of tweaking! :D

p

I know :) I've got two 2.8s runnning at 3.4, and I could probably squeeze another bit out of them before I have to resort to refrigeration. If you know of anything affordable let me know ;)

I must download the benchmark ISO from their site to see how I'm doing so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Don't read magazines anymore. Used to buy Maximum PC but even they started aiming their magazine at... well... the "norms" ;). I don't want to read about how to install Windows or connect harddrives, you fools! That's a PC basics magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

I read PC zone. Havent got time to browse the internet. Plus a mag is great for long train journeys etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I bought PC live, entered the competition, and won an adsl modem/router jobbie, and a wifi card! That makes it my firm favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

read Custom PC have been ever since issue one. I love its layed back journalistic styles, and its heavy doses of sarcasm, perfect for teh know-it-all geek/nerd's that we all are ;)

On occasion i purchase Personal Computer World, but mainly for its secondary purpose as avian annoyance destroyer (fly swatter). The feckin thing has so many adds you'd think Ruppert Murdock was the editor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Most mags have there own forums so u can get most a the good bits off them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

i've found pc extreme has been falling down issue by issue, this months is the last one i'll be reading!

CustomPC is good, although the CD which came with this months is useless, it wants my monitor to run in some mad resolution! Good mag though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...is PC Pro; it seems to have a little bit of everything, although (naturally) the news sections are about a month behind; sometimes I still see stuff I missed first time around, which helps.

The problem with asking this question, however, is how to gauge the average usefulness of a magazine to you without buying/reading the thing regularly. While some people may have no problem doing it, I'm not inclined to hover around the appropriate section in Eason's for a half hour trying to decide which mag to buy; as such, my choice of PC Pro may be down to inertia as much as any other factor...

Gadget

• Advertisement
Advertisement